Comping a vocal track recorded with 2 mics

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
ec_pat5150
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Comping a vocal track recorded with 2 mics

Post by ec_pat5150 »

Hello.

I recorded a vocal track with 2 microphones (LDC, and dynamic) so i could experiment blending the two different sounds later when mixing.

Does anyone have any insight on comping a vocal track recorded with 2 mics? I'd like to comp both mic tracks exactly the same so the performances line up in a similar fashion as if the two mic tracks were grouped.

ROCK!
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.3, Apollo Twin Duo Thunderbolt, Digital Performer 10.11
Shooshie

Re: Comping a vocal track recorded with 2 mics

Post by Shooshie »

I presume that two mics = two tracks. If it's just a stereo track, then there's nothing different to be done.

So, presuming that you've got two tracks, you need to group them. In the Mixing Board, go to the Mini-Menu in the top-right corner and pull it down to "Create New Group." Next, tap each of the channels. You should see each one get outlined in green to show it's selected. Once you've got them, hit Return.

The Group panel will pop up. Go down the list on both sides of that panel. Basically you want them all checked except for the few attributes that you might want to keep separate, such as "naming" or "color."

Name your custom group something like "Main Vocal" and hit OK.

You're grouped.

Now, when you use the Comp Tool or most other tools, everything you do in one track will also happen in the other. I do this all the time, and it works beautifully.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
ec_pat5150

Post by ec_pat5150 »

Shooshie, thank you very much.
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.3, Apollo Twin Duo Thunderbolt, Digital Performer 10.11
dix

Post by dix »

What Shooshie said. ...when I've done this I recorded the two mics as a stereo track and used the trim plugin to monoize and balance the two. it's easier to manage a stereo track than two individual ones.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com