Generic markers vs DP's markers

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Generic markers vs DP's markers

Post by philbrown »

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points. First, AFAIK, DP's markers have nothing to do with markers embedded in a WAV file. In DSP Quattro they are just called "Generic markers". For many years I've faced a pretty major obstacle in using DP in my workflow because DP doesn't recognize those WAV file markers and apparently discards that information. So my client sends me a WAV file with markers and I want to apply automation etc and master the file in DP. When I bounce it- no more markers. So after I master, I have to use another pgm (DSP Quattro at present, formerly Waveburner) and jump through some hoops to get the original markers back in place or re-enter them manually. It seems strange to me that DP just strips all that info away with no access to it and also that DP markers don't export or translate to any other pgms AFAIK.

Is this a problem for anyone else? Am I missing something? Do you have any ideas, advice, solutions workarounds etc? Every few years I think about jumping ship on DP due to this exact issue, but old habits die hard. I'm open for any and all ideas.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
kassonica

Re: Generic markers vs DP's markers

Post by kassonica »

are you using BWAV?
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
philbrown

Re: Generic markers vs DP's markers

Post by philbrown »

kassonica wrote:are you using BWAV?
Yeah, that's what my clients send me with markers in place and thats what I bounce out of DP.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce