Strange behavior with solo and plugins

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Killahurts
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Strange behavior with solo and plugins

Post by Killahurts »

I was mixing yesterday and noticed that when I have an audio track solo'ed, if I click to pull up a plugin on that track from the "Channel Strip" (which I keep in the consolidated window), the track is un-solo'ed. If I go and manually turn the track back on (while still in solo), then turn solo off, the track solo turns off as it should.. but if I still have that plugin up and I go to solo that track again, it will not solo.. only if I close the plugin and try again.

I should note that I am solo'ing tracks by pushing the track's solo button on my MCU controller.

Can anybody confirm this?
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
bayswater

Re: Strange behavior with solo and plugins

Post by bayswater »

Not happening here. Could it be that the plugin has an output path to another track that would be inaudible when the first track is soloed?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Killahurts wrote:I was mixing yesterday and noticed that when I have an audio track solo'ed, if I click to pull up a plugin on that track from the "Channel Strip" (which I keep in the consolidated window), the track is un-solo'ed. If I go and manually turn the track back on (while still in solo), then turn solo off, the track solo turns off as it should.. but if I still have that plugin up and I go to solo that track again, it will not solo.. only if I close the plugin and try again.

I should note that I am solo'ing tracks by pushing the track's solo button on my MCU controller.

Can anybody confirm this?
I think you have "Solo Frontmost Window" selected. Try deselecting that in your Solo prefs. If not that, then maybe you've found a bug, but first try that.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Shooshie wrote:I think you have "Solo Frontmost Window" selected. Try deselecting that in your Solo prefs. If not that, then maybe you've found a bug, but first try that.
Yep that did the trick, thanks Shoosh! :D

It's odd because that preference is under "MIDI solo and patch through" and it says "Solo front-most MIDI edit window". But on page 204 of the user guide PDF, it states that it is for any MIDI or audio editing window. Looking at it, I never would have thought that preference had anything to do with audio because it doesn't mention that word- only MIDI.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Killahurts wrote:
Shooshie wrote:I think you have "Solo Frontmost Window" selected. Try deselecting that in your Solo prefs. If not that, then maybe you've found a bug, but first try that.
Yep that did the trick, thanks Shoosh! :D

It's odd because that preference is under "MIDI solo and patch through" and it says "Solo front-most MIDI edit window". But on page 204 of the user guide PDF, it states that it is for any MIDI or audio editing window. Looking at it, I never would have thought that preference had anything to do with audio because it doesn't mention that word- only MIDI.
Really, I think you're right, and it should NOT have any effect on audio tracks. You'll recall in my reply that I wasn't sure that's what it was, but it sounded like it from your description of the behavior. Technically, audio tracks should respond only to the solo buttons in the Mixing Board or play-enable buttons (in Solo mode) in the Sequence Editor or Tracks window. And of course, if you're running through any Aux tracks, those tracks either also need to be Soloed, or they should have "SE" (Solo Exempt) checked in the Tracks Window. Opening a plugin should not affect them.

But if your source is a live MIDI track, then it would definitely affect the output if you opened a plugin window with Solo Frontmost Window checked. Maybe you just THOUGHT you froze those MIDI tracks! :lol:

Things sometimes work strangely, but when you figure out what's happening there is usually a rational explanation behind it all. I'm still not sure what that would be in your case, and I'm surprised that my suggestion worked if all your tracks are audio. I'm going to have to experiment with that.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Glad I found this thread as I was going nuts trying to figure out why my solos on MIDI tracks were going haywire when I moved from the SE to MIDI event List and so on. Thanks Master Shooshie for the tip.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Shooshie wrote: Things sometimes work strangely, but when you figure out what's happening there is usually a rational explanation behind it all. I'm still not sure what that would be in your case, and I'm surprised that my suggestion worked if all your tracks are audio. I'm going to have to experiment with that.

Shooshie
Maybe it has to do with the recent plugin automation that appeared in DP9.. those use MIDI to do the automation, right? So when you open a plugin...

I have no idea, just guessing.

Oh they were absolutely audio tracks- vocals, violin, etc.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

OK now when I toggle the "frontmost window MIDI edit window" pref on or off, I can't get the solo problem to repeat.. it's as though when I turned it off the first time, it turned off the audio plugin problem for good. weird.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Killahurts wrote:OK now when I toggle the "frontmost window MIDI edit window" pref on or off, I can't get the solo problem to repeat.. it's as though when I turned it off the first time, it turned off the audio plugin problem for good. weird.
To add to the weird part - until this past week I didn't have this problem in 9.02 and the box was checked so I don't know what's happening.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

It's another TZM in DP!
(Twilight Zone Moment)
:shock: