Check out MOTU's New Tech Support FAQ Page

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Check out MOTU's New Tech Support FAQ Page

Post by James Steele »

Just a heads up to check out MOTU's new Tech Support FAQ Page before posting here. You may find what you need there. Here is the link:

http://motu.com/techsupport/faq.html

Thanks!
Shooshie

Re: Check out MOTU's New Tech Support FAQ Page

Post by Shooshie »

Interesting read.

Here's one that's got me stumped. Maybe I'm just forgetting something.

Latency is too high:
  • While latency is a result of many things, the only ways to directly control it in DP are through the buffer size and sample rate. These can be accessed in Setup>Configure Audio System>Configure Hardware Driver. A higher buffer size will result in increased latency, but it will reduce the strain on the CPU. A lower buffer size will result in lower latency, but puts more strain on the CPU, which means there’s an increased chance of CPU overload or audio dropouts. The opposite is true of sample rate - a higher sample rate provides lower latency and uses more processing power. A lower sample rate incurs higher latency but is easier on the processor.
Does a higher sample rate make for less latency? I can see that it would use more CPU power, but... lower latency? Oh... wait. Yes, I see that. If your buffer is set for 1000 samples, and your sample rate is 16K, then the buffer is 16th of a second. At 192K, your 1000 sample buffer is 192nd of a second. Less latency.

Just had to see it right to get that.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

It's odd - I often have to alter the buffer settings if recording with a mic to reduce latency and get rid of crackling (which seems linked with buffer settings)- but have also found I needed to alter the buffer settings on my sound card (Line 6 UX2) as well. And I don't know if these two buffer adjustments are linked - does the DP setting alter my Mac's settings or is it a DP setting? And is the Line 6 buffer setting just related to the audio interface or is it altering the Mac? So I am confused about the whole subject.

I have just retired from work so will have more time to play about these things (and I am about to get a new Mac) so maybe a newer faster Mac will make all these crackles go away. But I have begun to wonder how all these buffer settings are linked.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:Does a higher sample rate make for less latency?
Since it's measured in samples, it has to be the case.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Shooshie wrote:Interesting read.

Here's one that's got me stumped. Maybe I'm just forgetting something.

Latency is too high:
  • While latency is a result of many things, the only ways to directly control it in DP are through the buffer size and sample rate. These can be accessed in Setup>Configure Audio System>Configure Hardware Driver. A higher buffer size will result in increased latency, but it will reduce the strain on the CPU. A lower buffer size will result in lower latency, but puts more strain on the CPU, which means there’s an increased chance of CPU overload or audio dropouts. The opposite is true of sample rate - a higher sample rate provides lower latency and uses more processing power. A lower sample rate incurs higher latency but is easier on the processor.
Does a higher sample rate make for less latency? I can see that it would use more CPU power, but... lower latency? Oh... wait. Yes, I see that. If your buffer is set for 1000 samples, and your sample rate is 16K, then the buffer is 16th of a second. At 192K, your 1000 sample buffer is 192nd of a second. Less latency.

Just had to see it right to get that.

Shooshie
Yea that one got me too. Not sure that's right but higher SRs are a good idea. I'm now doing my projects at 176,4 as I updated my 09 machine to 12 core. Seems to be working great.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2