F#2 will not play... help!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
frisb
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

F#2 will not play... help!

Post by frisb »

A unusual problem I am requesting help with...

This morning the F#2 MIDI note will not sound (MIDI Thru) when played on any of my 3 keyboards. However, the MIDI Monitor in DP shows that DP is receiving the F#2 note.

ALL other notes are sounding, MIDI thru.

When I open the Input Filter in DP, then the F#2 MIDI thru works. However, once I close Input Filter, the F#2 once again does not play. All of the boxes in the Input Filter are checked by the way.

All the F#2 notes which were previously recorded in a MIDI track are playing just fine. The problem appears to be with MIDI Thru, but only on the F#2 note.

I recently installed DP Control and Metagrid on an iPad which has been controlling DP by remote. Could that have anything to do with this issue?

Please offer any troubleshooting suggestions and I will try them. Thank You!

DP 8.07
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: F#2 will not play... help!

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

DP has set a key command to a MIDI trigger, in this case the MIDI note you can't play.

Go to the COMMANDS window and find the entry for the MIDI command and delete it.

:unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
RROY

Post by RROY »

This has happened to me. Check your commands drop down menu you should find that note assigned to a command . Delete it from that command. This seems to happen at the Template level , so once you've made the change you will have to create a new template or it will come back every time you use that template.
Mac Pro 2x2.4 quad core /24 gb ram/OS 10.13.6, Dp 10.13, MTP AV, /UAD 2, KOMPLETE 12, Stylus RMX, SD 3.0, EZ Drummer 3, A&H ZED R 16.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I've also had it happen out of the blue... just sayin'
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
frisb

Post by frisb »

Thank you - I deleted the preferences and the note is working again but now I know that the easier way is to check the commands for that note should it happen again in the future. Again, thank you very much!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I think probably a safer approach to deleting the command is to just disable the MIDI Master (the one called Master Master. This way if you ever want to use MIDI to control stuff, you can turn it back on.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
frisb

Post by frisb »

When I go to Commands, I do not see MIDI Note names, just numbers. Is the F#2 assigned to a specific number?
frisb

Post by frisb »

I disabled everything under MIDI Masters. I have recently installed the Command set for Metagrid in DP and even though I thought I had disabled all of that per the Metagrid instructions, it had somehow been enabled again. Now it is disabled and the F#2 is working again but Metagrid is not.

Still wondering how to identify the F#2 note assignment in DP's Commands window...
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Ah, MetaGrid is in all likelihood using MIDI commands to control DP.

See if the "SOURCE" column is set to "Any". If so, select the iPad as the source. Do that for all the commands that MetaGrid is controlling.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

It's like the View Filter's evil twin (both being evil, that is). They just show up unannounced.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
frisb

Post by frisb »

Yes, Metagrid is definitely using Commands as one has to install a set of their commands to DP for it to work. So to answer your question - Source is set to "Metagrid - DP. My solution was this -

I found the F#2 key which by default is set to Chunk Selection for sequence 1 - and I disabled it. However, even though Metagrid says to disable all of the boxes under MIDI Master, when I do that, Metagrid will not work from my iPad. So I enable them and it works again. And now that the F#2 has been unassigned, all is well here... I think!

I still need to ask the Metagrid folks why those MIDI Master buttons should be disabled when they need to be on for my set up to function properly.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

They may be trying to avoid command conflicts with other MIDI sources. If you turn off other masters, you might be able to isolate Metagrid as the sole source of MIDI events for Commands.

frankf

Post by frankf »

You can turn off automatic MIDI note assignments. I think it's in the Commands mini menu. ( I'm not in front of DP right now)
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
frisb

Post by frisb »

Quick update for those of you who are also using Metagrid. The Metagrid manual had it backwards - the MIDI Master commands in DP must be enabled (not disabled as their manual had stated). They have since corrected both their manual and video. Excellent app and a very responsive customer service attitude.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

This has happened to me several times. Either this a some sort of weird "bug" or there's a key command to create a new binding that I'm inadvertently hitting. Suddenly, I play a few notes and, DP is madly switching sequences and doing other crazy stuff.

Don't know how those appear, but now I thankfully know where to shut them off.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net