F#2 will not play... help!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: F#2 will not play... help!

Post by Michael Canavan »

Rick Cornish wrote:This has happened to me several times. Either this a some sort of weird "bug" or there's a key command to create a new binding that I'm inadvertently hitting. Suddenly, I play a few notes and, DP is madly switching sequences and doing other crazy stuff.

Don't know how those appear, but now I thankfully know where to shut them off.
It seems to me that it happens sometimes with updates... dunno? but under Commands there's a preference in the upper right drop down menu "Add Chunk Selection Commands Automatically" .
I've had it inadvertently turned on, and all of a sudden notes don't play and Sequences change.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
frankf

Post by frankf »

Michael Canavan wrote: It seems to me that it happens sometimes with updates... dunno? but under Commands there's a preference in the upper right drop down menu "Add Chunk Selection Commands Automatically" .
I've had it inadvertently turned on, and all of a sudden notes don't play and Sequences change.
This is what I was talking about in my post above. Thanks for the clarity Michael
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

frankf wrote:You can turn off automatic MIDI note assignments. I think it's in the Commands mini menu. ( I'm not in front of DP right now)
It is, but I have to look it up each time to know the name of it. I'll get to that in a moment.

If anyone is reading this and is not familiar with the ability to select chunks with a key (MIDI or computer) command, you really should take note of this. There is an entire section of your Commands Window that is called "Chunk Selection." Within it, you will see everything that also appears in your Chunks Window. That means:
  • Sequences
    Songs
    V-Racks
It looks like this:
  • Chunk Selection
Now, there is another command that is essential that you know about. It is called:
  • Add Chunk Selection Commands Automatically
(You can find these commands simply by typing "Chunk" (not "Chunks") in the Commands Window.)

If this command is turned on, every time you create a chunk of any kind, DP will assign a key to it. Thus, you may inadvertently push the Y key, and suddenly a different chunk activates. This is all well and good if you know what's going on and are in control of it. I've used this feature before. But if you don't want it, and it comes on, you're going to be fuming about it here in the forum until you figure out what's happening.

That's one of several traps in DP's growing Trap Family. They include, so far:
  • • View Filter - COMMAND-F, followed by Return or Enter. This has been fixed for DP9
    • Track Search Field - TAB while in the Sequence Editor or MIDI Editor, or any other window with track names. Tab puts you in the field. The next key enters search criteria, and DP hides all tracks that do not contain whatever you just typed, even if it's ENTER or 0, in which case your tracks will probably all disappear while continuing to play.
    • Chunk Selection - Wild Card. Randomly assigned by DP, or purposely assigned by you.
    • Master Master - If you have a MIDI note assigned to this, you will find that your keyboard won't play that note anymore. Instead, all manner of zombie hell may break loose after hitting, say, low F#. This is because you've assigned that key to toggle a master. Check the top of the Commands Window to see what it does.
I hope I haven't forgotten any. I'll add them to the list if you can think of others.

So, know your traps and be the master of them.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|