DP constant crashing/Log file 9.02

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP constant crashing/Log file 9.02

Post by mikehalloran »

Glad you found it.

Hornet VU 1.x goes back to 2011 ot earlier. It's now on v.3.01.
http://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/ho ... meter-mk3/
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
ccrane

Post by ccrane »

James Steele wrote:HOW TO DISABLE MOTU CRASH REPORTER

At some point, MOTU built in their own crash reporter that produces a dialog on a crash and then sends reports directly back to MOTU. This is a good thing as it helps MOTU find problems more quickly, but for the user who wants to try to troubleshoot, it can be inconvenient.

IMPORTANT: I would stress only using this when having a recurring problem and needing to investigate. Otherwise, allow the reports to go to MOTU. They get a lot of valuable information to fix bugs the way it is, so don't disable as standard practice.

I can tell you two ways to disable it.

First the difficult way:

You type in the following into the Terminal window:

Code: Select all

arch -x86_64 "/Applications/Digital Performer.app/Contents/MacOS/Digital Performer" --disable_crash_reporter &
Hit "Enter" and this will then launch DP with the MOTU crash reporter disabled.

Now the EASIEST way: (acknowledgment to David Das who taught me this.)

• Download this very small file: http://motunation.com/files/Disable_DP9 ... ommand.zip

• Unzip and find the file "Disable DP9 Crash Reporter.command" and place in Apps folder.

• Optional: You can then click and drag that file to the right (documents) side of the Dock

• Click on it, and it will automatically run the Terminal command and launch DP9 with the MOTU crash reporter disabled. Any crashes that then happen during this session will generate crash reports in the normal location. (The script does not quit the Terminal app after launching DP9. If that bothers you, manually quit Terminal after DP9 has launched.)

• As a reminder, you MUST launch DP this way EACH TIME to disable the MOTU crash reporter, so DP will create crash reports on your hard drive. If you quit DP and then run again without using the Terminal command, crash reports will go directly to MOTU again.

One other way to disable MOTU Crash Reporter (MCR) from launching is to remove the application from its folder. I used 'Reveal in Finder' from the dock when DP first auto-launched MCR and then moved the application file to a different location. Now, Apple's Crash Reporter launches just like it used to when DP crashes.
mrgkeys

Post by mrgkeys »

mikehalloran wrote:Glad you found it.

Hornet VU 1.x goes back to 2011 ot earlier. It's now on v.3.01.
http://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/ho ... meter-mk3/
It was 3.01 that did it.. I went back to version 2 and sent a copy of the crash log and opened a support ticket with Hornet..

so far another 5 or so hours of working today, with zero crashes!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

ccrane wrote:One other way to disable MOTU Crash Reporter (MCR) from launching is to remove the application from its folder. I used 'Reveal in Finder' from the dock when DP first auto-launched MCR and then moved the application file to a different location. Now, Apple's Crash Reporter launches just like it used to when DP crashes.
I'm unclear on the reason for disabling MOTU's crash reporter. Does it make the crash log inaccessible? Getting the Apple Crash Reporter to launch also appears pointless. I can't seem Apple giving much priority OS X bugs that cause DP crashed.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
ccrane

Post by ccrane »

bayswater wrote:
ccrane wrote:One other way to disable MOTU Crash Reporter (MCR) from launching is to remove the application from its folder. I used 'Reveal in Finder' from the dock when DP first auto-launched MCR and then moved the application file to a different location. Now, Apple's Crash Reporter launches just like it used to when DP crashes.
I'm unclear on the reason for disabling MOTU's crash reporter. Does it make the crash log inaccessible? Getting the Apple Crash Reporter to launch also appears pointless. I can't seem Apple giving much priority OS X bugs that cause DP crashed.
In my experience, I have gotten better information from Apple's Crash Reporter in regards to finding what plug-in might be responsible for a crash. Sometimes DP's Crash Reporter was useful in that it mentioned a specific problematic plug-in but more often than not, it was just a generic report, ymmv. I don't believe there is any effect one way or another on the Console logs.