OS X.11.4 Mission Control & Plug ins

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Helen
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

OS X.11.4 Mission Control & Plug ins

Post by Helen »

Argh. I've always used separate desktops (now called "Spaces") for plug-in management, and after upgrading to OS 10.11.4 and DP 9.02 I have a problem.

I have two monitors, I keep my Consolidated Window in one, and my video window in the other. I use the Spaces (alternate Desktops) to organize and view my plugins. For example, Desktop 1 is Video/Consolidated window. Desktop 2 would be Kontakt/Altiverb, Desktop 3 would be Vienna Ensemble and whatever other plugins I'd have running. The system worked great. If I needed to access a plug, I'd just swipe to that desktop. Nice, fast workflow. I'd have to organize it every time I opened DP, but no big deal for the time savings offered.

Unfortunately, with the new combo of OS 10.11.4 and DP9.02, the plugins disappear when I hit the Mission Control button, so I can't move them to an alternate desktop. It's actually a big deal for my workflow, and I can't even figure out if it's a DP thing or an Apple thing.

Anyone else here have this problem? Any suggestions or workarounds? I'd be grateful.

-Helen
cuttime

Re: OS X.11.4 Mission Control & Plug ins

Post by cuttime »

I think it might be a combination of OSX and DP. If the plugin window is set to float, yes, it disappears, but if not floating it doesn't. I'm only using one monitor, though.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Helen

Post by Helen »

Ok, after spending more time researching, I turned off floating and that has solved the issue. So if you use plugins in multiple Spaces/Desktops, turn off floating to revert to the old behavior and the plugins are accessible in Mission Control.

Thanks for taking the time.

-Helen
Mac Pro Rack 7,1 3.2 Ghz 16-core, OS 11.6.1, 192GB ram
MOTU 828es, DP 11.02, Altiverb, Kontakt 6, VEPro
This job is fun, this job is fun....
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Just to clarify, she's talking about floating of plugins, not the Control Panel. You still need for the Control Panel to float, and it does work. But floating plugins won't work in Mission Control. Just turn it off and everything is fine.

Shooshie
PS: Helen, you should try putting your mixing board in a space, and your edit windows in another space, expanded to cover all the screen except the control panel. You can put your tools and shortcuts panels in the space beside the control panel. I've been doing that since Spaces first emerged, and I'd never go back.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

All bets are off if using DP in Full Screen mode. I've never found any consistent screen/space behavior if operating that way.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

OS 10.11 changed some of the defaults for Spaces and Launchpad. The old functionality is still available but you have to go to System Preferences/Mission Control to find and uncheck the new defaults to bring them back.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

cuttime wrote:All bets are off if using DP in Full Screen mode. I've never found any consistent screen/space behavior if operating that way.
Nope. It won't work very well in full screen mode.
You've got to have the control panel floating, and that only can be set outside of fullscreen mode.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Helen

Post by Helen »

Well this is cool. I came back to check the thread, and learned a lot of useful stuff. Thanks, Shooshie, I'll try the Spaces setup you recommended. Sounds very useful. And thanks to everyone else, as always, this is a great resource.

-Helen
Mac Pro Rack 7,1 3.2 Ghz 16-core, OS 11.6.1, 192GB ram
MOTU 828es, DP 11.02, Altiverb, Kontakt 6, VEPro
This job is fun, this job is fun....
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Helen wrote:Well this is cool. I came back to check the thread, and learned a lot of useful stuff. Thanks, Shooshie, I'll try the Spaces setup you recommended. Sounds very useful. And thanks to everyone else, as always, this is a great resource.

-Helen
Great to be of service. BTW, I did try floating some plugins the other day, and they DO work in Spaces/Mission Control. Like the Control Panel, they follow you wherever you go, which may be what you want, or maybe not. I don't like that, personally. I just deposit all my plugin windows in a single space (or shared with the Mixing Board sometimes) with VIs in their own spaces, usually organized by maker. (a space for Wallander, a space for Vienna, a space for Kontakt, etc.) Those windows stay open all the time, and it's just a quick keyboard command to switch over to them. If I want one to follow me back to an edit window, I just grab it and drag it to the Space where I want it.

Shooshie