Problem with certain plugins and movie window

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
kinnylandrum
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Problem with certain plugins and movie window

Post by kinnylandrum »

I have only recently run into an irritating problem and wonder if anyone can shed a light on why.

If I have certain graphic intensive VI windows open when scoring to picture in DP 9.02, DP starts running sluggishly. That is, the counter moves in fits and starts and editing with the mouse particularly is slow and unreliable. This shows itself when certain VIs have their editing windows open, such as AmpleGuitar's Martin II and Waves Abbey Round plates. All I have to do is close the VIs interface windows and everything is fine. But of course this is inconvenient when in the heat of recording and editing, to put it mildly.

This only seems to happen, as far as I can tell, when the movie window is open and locked to the transport, which of course it is all the time when composing to picture. The particular QT file I am using for this project is a rather small H.264 movie and I have never had this problem before.

Does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening? Of course I can keep closing the VI interface windows after changing something on them, but that's a pain. When I do close the windows, everything behaves properly.

Thanks,
Kinny Landrum
DP 10.11 MacPro 16-core 3.2 GHZ, 48 Gb Ram, 10.15.2, numerous VIs, etc.
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Problem with certain plugins and movie window

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Can't tell you why, but I can confirm that having windows open will slow graphics performance. I see the same thing with other plugs and VIs. My solution is to close them (not much help, I know). Sometimes a relaunch of DP is required to get decent graphics performance to return. The wiper in particular seems to be the main problem.

If you haven't already, check the preference for the wiper and make sure only the top most window follows the counter. Other than that, I haven't got a clue.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
kinnylandrum

Post by kinnylandrum »

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I looked at my prefs and sure enough, Auto Scroll was on the top choice, for all widows to follow the counter and stay together when scrolling manually. Choosing the bottom button, for only the topmost window to follow the counter, helped a lot. Or to be more exact, when having three instances of the Ample Sound Martin, opening one instance's interface does not slow down the graphics. Having two edit windows open does slow it down, and having three open still makes it crawl, but at least I can have one open at a time for editing without slowing me down.

It seems to me I had this option chosen before in DP8. But somehow I think all preferences are not automatically updated when installing new versions, like in this case DP 9. Anyway, thanks for the heads up.

Kinny
DP 10.11 MacPro 16-core 3.2 GHZ, 48 Gb Ram, 10.15.2, numerous VIs, etc.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

:D
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS