No audio after using DP9 bounce

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: No audio after using DP9 bounce

Post by Shooshie »

Currently, in DP9, BTD does not get all (any of?) the crossfades, unless someone has found a workaround to trick it into doing so. There may be other problems as well, such as note dropouts or something. It used to be dead-on accurate. Not now.

We're hoping for a fix in 9.1. MOTU is aware of the problem.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

kassonica wrote:
David Polich wrote:Real-time mixdown is your friend. Do you know how to do that? It's way more reliable than
Bounce-to-Disk.
I've always find B.T.D extremely reliable
Me too, Kass. Sample-accurate, as a matter of fact -- every single time! :unicorn: :koolaid:
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Tritonemusic wrote:
kassonica wrote:
David Polich wrote:Real-time mixdown is your friend. Do you know how to do that? It's way more reliable than
Bounce-to-Disk.
Me too, Kass. Sample-accurate, as a matter of fact -- every single time! :unicorn: :koolaid:
Yeah, but you're back on DP 7.24 — a great version, if your signature is correct. In DP9, you would find it otherwise if you've got fades.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Bounce-to-Disk.
I've been doing real time mixes for the past 4-5 years. Maybe I'm just "old school" but it is my preference!

Buzzy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Shooshie wrote:
Tritonemusic wrote:
kassonica wrote:
Yeah, but you're back on DP 7.24 — a great version, if your signature is correct. In DP9, you would find it otherwise if you've got fades.

Shooshie
I wasn't aware that this was one of the issues in DP9....

:(
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

kassonica wrote:
Shooshie wrote:Yeah, but you're back on DP 7.24 — a great version, if your signature is correct. In DP9, you would find it otherwise if you've got fades.

Shooshie
I wasn't aware that this was one of the issues in DP9....

:(
Same here.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

I'm just going to wait to get get 9 till they sort out all these issues...

:banghead:
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Shooshie wrote:Currently, in DP9, BTD does not get all (any of?) the crossfades, unless someone has found a workaround to trick it into doing so. There may be other problems as well, such as note dropouts or something. It used to be dead-on accurate. Not now.

We're hoping for a fix in 9.1. MOTU is aware of the problem.

Shoosh
Anyone know when fixes are coming for 9? I was thinking about finally updating but it seems its not all worked out with the latest Mac OS. 10.11.4.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Timeline wrote:Anyone know when fixes are coming for 9? I was thinking about finally updating but it seems its not all worked out with the latest Mac OS. 10.11.4.
Fixes would come with the next version and as usual, only MOTU knows when that will be.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

kassonica wrote:I'm just going to wait to get get 9 till they sort out all these issues...

:banghead:
I've gotten around it by recording real-time to another track. Then the resulting soundbite can be bounced as an MP3 or whatever. It's a pain in the you-know-what, but at least it's doable. It's only fades that get dropped, as far as I know. A simple soundbite will give you no trouble.

Shoosh
wilkinsi

Post by wilkinsi »

MOTU support say they have successfully used the BTD command, so I'll try it again. I was going to work around the problem by playing the original tracks with the plugins inserted out of my 112D's AES or ADAT out into my Roland VS2480, then drag the audio phrases to where I need them.
Mac Mini 2018 - 8GB RAM, 3.6 GHZ Quad Core, 128GB SSD
External 2TB NVME TB3 SSD, External 1TB SSD (OS recovery), External 500GB TB/USB SSD (Time Machine backup)
MOTU 828es
Digital Performer 11, UVI Falcon.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

wilkinsi wrote:MOTU support say they have successfully used the BTD command...
That statement needs clarity.
I can successfully use the BTD command, too. But not if I have track fades and crossfades in the mix.
It will still bounce to disk, but it does not use the fades.
This never happened to me before DP9.
It was my understanding that MOTU knew about this and was fixing it. If they are saying the above, that's bad news. That means they are denying there is a problem, or they have not yet been convinced of its existence. I was certain that they knew about it. Now I don't know. Crap. I guess I'll call them tomorrow and try to get the whole story.

Could someone else chime in here and help me out? Am I the only one who has experienced this? Is this a real bug or just some anomaly on my system? I could have sworn I've seen threads about this in the recent past.

Shooshie
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Sh...

When you bounce do you get pops where some crossfades used to be in 9? I think i have heard this in 8 too but I blame it on insufficient CPU capability for the size of project I'm bouncing. Is that wrong?

Upgrading to 12 core 3.46 Westmere and fast (1333) ram hoping that clears it up for me. Will get the tray back Friday actually.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

If the fades were covering pops, as in a junction between soundbites, then yes, you'd hear pops. Or rather, you'd hear the lack of fades. It's as if the bounce "playback" isn't programmed to run the fades. They're just irrelevant during the bounce.

I'm sure it's just a programming oversight, as in there's a flag that needs to be set or something like that. Someone just forgot to turn it back on after working on it, or... who knows what?

Shooshie
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Right. got it. Thnx