Strange Plugin Behavior

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Jerome Gilmer
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Strange Plugin Behavior

Post by Jerome Gilmer »

Lately I've had issues where I instantiated a plugin and then set it as desired. Upon closing the plugin window the plugin behavior changes completely, like a major change in volume, eq or other setting. It's happening with Slate, Waves and MOTU plugins. Baffling and frustrating.

Using 9.02 on El Capitan (Yeah, I know. changed too soon)
MacPro Dual Quad 2.8, 2408Mk3, 2408, TC Powercore Firewire, O2R-96v2, 5.1 Genelec Monitors, DP 7.1, Mach V2, MX4, Ethno, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trillian, Wallander Winds, Retro Organs, Retro Keys, Absynth, Akoustik, Reason, Gigastudio 3 with VSL on PC.
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Strange Plugin Behavior

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Not seeing this at all. Have you tried saving settings as a preset? Will it let you do that? Sounds like a permissions problem.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Many of us are doing so with no problems.

If not on 10.11.4, update the OS — many issues were fixed. Not all but most.
Sounds like a permissions problem.
You're not supposed to have to but MAS comes up in the list anyway so a very good idea to Repair Permissions. You do this in Terminal now but it's painless. Copy the following and paste into Terminal, then Enter or Return. It will ask for your admin password. You are done when it asks for the next command.

sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs --volume /

Cool Terminal trick: when done, quit Terminal but do not close the window first. Next time you open the app, you will see the command in the window so that you can copy and paste it again.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:Cool Terminal trick: when done, quit Terminal but do not close the window first. Next time you open the app, you will see the command in the window so that you can copy and paste it again.
If it's there, do you need to copy and paste? Can't you just press the "up" button to get the last command back? Works here.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

mikehalloran wrote: sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs --volume /

Cool Terminal trick: when done, quit Terminal but do not close the window first. Next time you open the app, you will see the command in the window so that you can copy and paste it again.
Just now repaired permission in El Cap for the first time. HOLY COW!!! Repaired pages and pages of permissions. YIKES!

Thanks, Mikey
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Just now repaired permission in El Cap for the first time. HOLY COW!!! Repaired pages and pages of permissions. YIKES!
I thought EC was supposed take care of permissions in background or during startup.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:Cool Terminal trick: when done, quit Terminal but do not close the window first. Next time you open the app, you will see the command in the window so that you can copy and paste it again.
If it's there, do you need to copy and paste? Can't you just press the "up" button to get the last command back? Works here.
Yea, I forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Just now repaired permission in El Cap for the first time. HOLY COW!!! Repaired pages and pages of permissions. YIKES!
I thought EC was supposed take care of permissions in background or during startup.
Widely reported. Absolutely false.

Also untrue is that a Safe Boot rebuilds permissions—it only resets the caches to default and disables 3rd party extensions (useful for troubleshooting).

I tested both of these last year and posted them in an old thread somewhere around here.

After a reboot, I get three lines of permission errors involving displays. They apparently do no harm. Running it again makes them go away till my next reboot.

I did have a MBP last week that left me with a dozen lines starting with usr and involved location sharing. I did a re-install of 10.11.4 from the repair partition (option-boot, select) and on the second time around, those lines went away.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:
bayswater wrote:
Widely reported. Absolutely false.

Also untrue is that a Safe Boot rebuilds permissions—it only resets the caches to default and disables 3rd party extensions (useful for troubleshooting).

I tested both of these last year and posted them in an old thread somewhere around here.

After a reboot, I get three lines of permission errors involving displays. They apparently do no harm. Running it again makes them go away till my next reboot.

I did have a MBP last week that left me with a dozen lines starting with usr and involved location sharing. I did a re-install of 10.11.4 from the repair partition (option-boot, select) and on the second time around, those lines went away.
This seems odd. So permissions do get corrupted or altered, the tool to fix that has been removed, and expecting the mass of general users to use Terminal is out. What are they thinking?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

What are they thinking?
Damned good question. Apple engineers I know are dumbfounded as well. The line I usually hear is that Disk Utility is broken and not likely to be fixed till after OS 10.12 is released.

The official explanation is that app developers are supposed to fix them so that it's not an issue. Yes, really.

The idea that there are older apps which require permissions repair to work properly in 10.11 somehow must have escaped the project managers.

I don't know for certain that DP 9 requires it but there is no doubt whatever about 7.24 and 8.x, both of which install and run fine in El Cap if Repair Permissions is run. Frankly, I am not holding my breath for DP 7.25 and 8.08, ya know?

Most of the 'pages and pages' are for files that install with the OS. Uhhh… yea…
MIDI Life Crisis

There were tons of scanner and printer permissions. Second run: clean!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Grigri

Post by Grigri »

Jerome Gilmer wrote:Lately I've had issues where I instantiated a plugin and then set it as desired. Upon closing the plugin window the plugin behavior changes completely, like a major change in volume, eq or other setting. It's happening with Slate, Waves and MOTU plugins. Baffling and frustrating.

It could be that your plugins runs in pre-gen mode. Make sure that you run the plugins in real-time mode.
In pre-gen mode, the plugins takes a little time to create the modified sound once you close the window.

David
Grigrisound

OSX 10.11.6 - MacPro Octo 2.8 - 12G RAM - Macbook pro 2017 I5 - 16 G RAM - Digital Performer 10.11 - Motu 828mk3 - Steven Slate - UAD2 -
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

El Crapitan. Still have no desire to ever install it. Will wait for the next O.S. which will probably
be "Shasta" or something like that, and that will fix what's wrong with El Crap.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

No need of Terminal here.
AFAICT, OnyX does repair permissions on El Capitan.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

David Polich wrote:El Crapitan. Still have no desire to ever install it. Will wait for the next O.S. which will probably
be "Shasta" or something like that, and that will fix what's wrong with El Crap.
I waited and waited. Finally, Yosemite was giving me so much trouble that I decided the lesser of evils had to be El Capitan. Now I wish I'd done it in the beginning. No problems. Well... a few left over from previous OSes, but nothing new. Even got MenuMeters working again after someone posted a link to a patch-job.

I was mostly afraid that I'd lose Wallander Instruments, since Arne W. isn't too active anymore, but I wrote him and he said it worked, so I tried it and sure enough, no problems. Despite the difficulties others seem to have with the WIVI interface, I've found true nirvana there, and I'd stop upgrading the Mac if I had to do so to save Wallander. But no problems found.

I don't have a lot of the plugins that others have; mostly Waves, Altiverb, MOTU, Blue Cat, and a few others. Also, I don't use plugin automation except in rare cases, opting to go about such automation in different ways when possible, to avoid crowding of data. So, YMMV, but it sure seems benign. Everyone told me to go ahead and upgrade to El Cap. For the longest time I couldn't make myself do it, but when I finally took the leap a month or so ago, I found there was never a cliff. Just a nice path to the other side. My doubts were in vain.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|