Unable to load Waves plugins form older projects!!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Unable to load Waves plugins form older projects!!

Post by FMiguelez »

Damn!
I need to revisit 2 old productions. They were done with DP4 and DP 5.

DP opens fine and everything, but then, at the end, after it loads, it presents me with a long list of plugins it can't find. DP's plugs load fine, but NONE of the Waves plugins load.

At that time I must've been using Waves version 6 or earlier. Now, I have installed version 9.3.

Please don't tell me I'm SOoL.... Will I have to remix everything again???
Why can't it find it? DP clearly knows that Q4 is missing, but it knows it's there in a newer version from... I thought it would be smart-enough to figure this out.

Anyone knows how to load these older versions while keeping my current Waves version??

I don't think Waves tech support will answer my emails, since my WUP hasn't been renewed for a while now...

Too Damn Hip?? I bet you have some kind of trick to deal with this? I don't think you'd be too happy to see that you can't open your older mixes... :smash:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
toodamnhip

Re: Unable to load Waves plugins form older projects!!

Post by toodamnhip »

FMiguelez wrote:Damn!
I need to revisit 2 old productions. They were done with DP4 and DP 5.

DP opens fine and everything, but then, at the end, after it loads, it presents me with a long list of plugins it can't find. DP's plugs load fine, but NONE of the Waves plugins load.

At that time I must've been using Waves version 6 or earlier. Now, I have installed version 9.3.

Please don't tell me I'm SOoL.... Will I have to remix everything again???
Why can't it find it? DP clearly knows that Q4 is missing, but it knows it's there in a newer version from... I thought it would be smart-enough to figure this out.

Anyone knows how to load these older versions while keeping my current Waves version??

I don't think Waves tech support will answer my emails, since my WUP hasn't been renewed for a while now...

Too Damn Hip?? I bet you have some kind of trick to deal with this? I don't think you'd be too happy to see that you can't open your older mixes... :smash:
The only “trick” I know of is to somehow get the file to play right on something. This is why I have my old computers still. If ever I HAD TO access old mixes, I would load in the old computer to get them to load correct. Then I would save every plug in as a pre set. These “pre sets” will indeed transfer to LATER versions of Waves. The trick here is 1) to get an older comouter/software to play. 2) name things correctly when MAKING pre sets so you can understand where they go in the re built version
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

It always seems to me down to Waves... hmmm......
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:It always seems to me down to Waves... hmmm......
This is an ill informed statement. First of all, we are probably talking Apple here. Apple changed their computer chips from Motorola to intel and this made huge problems for software. All software became disconnected from old version to some degree or other.
The dance between software manufacturers is a long standing problem. No one is “in charge” it is anarchistic and one companies' “development” can be another companies hassle.
I could also argue that Waves is way more ubiquitous than DP and thus DP should come to Waves. But that argument wouldn’t work either. Its a tough problem and thats the truth. Add Apple switching chips whenever they feel like it to make better computers and you see the game really getting complex.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I have an extra old G4 sitting around doing nothing. Cover the cost of shipping, you can have it.

"old G4" ... that's redundant.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

First of all, we are probably talking Apple here. Apple changed their computer chips from Motorola to intel and this made huge problems for software. All software became disconnected from old version to some degree or other.
The dance between software manufacturers is a long standing problem. No one is “in charge” it is anarchistic and one companies' “development” can be another companies hassle.
I could also argue that Waves is way more ubiquitous than DP and thus DP should come to Waves. But that argument wouldn’t work either. Its a tough problem and thats the truth. Add Apple switching chips whenever they feel like it to make better computers and you see the game really getting anarchistic.
Actually, the PPC Consortium (Motorola and IBM) was unable to supply faster chips. The ones that powered the last G5s had major problems due to the intense amount of heat that they generated, casing Apple to try liquid cooling in an effort to make them work.

I have dinner a few times a year with the engineer who had to make the decision to pull the plug on the PPC and go with Intel. I don't know how many million$ it cost Apple—but it was plenty. The move to Intel eventually paid off, however.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

mikehalloran wrote:I have an extra old G4 sitting around doing nothing. Cover the cost of shipping, you can have it.

I have old computers all over my house and studio, in my garage etc. There are some wonderful old masters from songs I did for Streisand and many others etc. The problem is, which computer has what?..lol..It would be an “interesting” day to have to go back to those masters. Who knows what Id run into.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I have old computers all over my house and studio, in my garage etc.
For years, I refurbed Macs and donated them to local school districts. Those that can no longer be used are donated to an electronics recycling project at Homestead High (Jobs' and Woz's alma mater along with my daughters). I never solicited donations—it is just known that I know what to do with them.

Intel Macs are pretty reliable in the schools now so the need isn't as great as it once was. I can't use anything older than 2009 but it's good that 7 year old Macs can run the latest OS. PPCs automatically go to Homestead nowadays. I can't even sell a G4 for $25 on Craigslist. The only money I have ever had to spend is on PRAM batteries. I've boxes of RAM and stacks of hard drives.

I hate to throw out a perfectly good G4, however. They run OS 9 and 10.4. The one in my office even runs 10.5 which is sometimes handy. So I keep another in my garage for that "if I just had something that could run …" Dude, I got you covered. No, please take it. Someone will give me another.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Sounds like the original poster needs to know the exact year and operating system of his song, and then contact you for a computer
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

toodamnhip wrote:Sounds like the original poster needs to know the exact year and operating system of his song, and then contact you for a computer
Any G4 will run any version of DP 4 or 5. May have to format the HD to OS 9 for the early versions of DP 4. Dual-boot is a cinch to set up. I only have DP 5.13 on mine since it opens everything back to 2.x.

The main reason I keep it is that I did a lot of scores and arrangements in Encore and Finale 199x. Having a machine that can boot into 9/10.4/10.5 is the only way some of my work can be read and converted to files that my iMac can read.

I used to have issues with Mac Write/AppleWorks files but Libre Office can now open those and it's free.

Sometimes, one has to go to Macintosh Garden
http://macintoshgarden.org
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

toodamnhip wrote:
This is an ill informed statement.
Whether Apple or MOTU or Waves, it is not "ill informed." It is informed by my up close and personal experiences with Waves for a very long time... back to OS 9 and as far back as I can remember.

As soon as I installed ANY Waves product, things started going wrong. Remove them and things started going better. I understand many "can't do without" Waves. I "can't do with" Waves. That's all I'm saying. If your experience is good, that's great. Mine isn't and that doesn't make my comment ill informed at all. It's is simply an observation over many years of trying to get their stuff to work and not impact the entire OS - and certainly not impact the audio functionality - in the process.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:
This is an ill informed statement.
Whether Apple or MOTU or Waves, it is not "ill informed." It is informed by my up close and personal experiences with Waves for a very long time... back to OS 9 and as far back as I can remember.

As soon as I installed ANY Waves product, things started going wrong. Remove them and things started going better. I understand many "can't do without" Waves. I "can't do with" Waves. That's all I'm saying. If your experience is good, that's great. Mine isn't and that doesn't make my comment ill informed at all. It's is simply an observation over many years of trying to get their stuff to work and not impact the entire OS - and certainly not impact the audio functionality - in the process.
your comment is “ill informed”, (though I could have used better language), because the circumstance that led to this users’ Waves failing was a scenario which effected ALL plug ins and cause many companies difficulties. Many companies went out of business when Apple went to intel. Singling out Waves is ill informed because it is NOT related to the problem. The problem is a HUGE change of OS and programming language. I am sure if I wanted to bother, that I could come up with a long list of issues other software had when the transition from ppc to intel occurred.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

toodamnhip wrote: The only “trick” I know of is to somehow get the file to play right on something. This is why I have my old computers still. If ever I HAD TO access old mixes, I would load in the old computer to get them to load correct. Then I would save every plug in as a pre set. These “pre sets” will indeed transfer to LATER versions of Waves. The trick here is 1) to get an older comouter/software to play. 2) name things correctly when MAKING pre sets so you can understand where they go in the re built version
Of course!
Thank you for reminding me. I still have my G5, where those projects were done, somewhere in the storage room. I don't even remember if I kept its boot drive or if it will even power up. It's been years!

So I'll dig it up, find those old and power-hungry monitors, and see if it opens there.

I'll report back on that.

Thanks!
mikehalloran wrote:I have an extra old G4 sitting around doing nothing. Cover the cost of shipping, you can have it.

Ha! Thanks, Mike, but I suppose I don't need those mixes that badly. I'd rather mix them from scratch, since I hope I mix better now after years of learning.
But I definitely appreciate the offer! :)

You guys made me see I should try to keep my G5 in an operating condition, for these kind of things.
I'll see what I can do with my G5, hopefully next week.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

FMiguelez wrote:Thank you for reminding me. I still have my G5, where those projects were done, somewhere in the storage room. I don't even remember if I kept its boot drive or if it will even power up. It's been years!

You guys made me see I should try to keep my G5 in an operating condition, for these kind of things.
I'll see what I can do with my G5, hopefully next week.
Yes, reinforces the importance of this for me, too. My G5 is still running, and I use it for certain software (non-music) that I don't want to bother/spend money on upgrading. Just wondering how long my quad G5's liquid cooling system will hold up...
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I've opened projecs done in DP 4 or 5 in DP 9 without problems of any kind, and these old
projects included Waves plugs. The Waves plugins show up just fine in DP 9. Any plugins that
were used in the old projects that I no longer have do indeed show up as "missing" but that's
to be expected.

I've opened a couple of DP 3.x projects in DP9, no problem.

Maybe I'm just extremely lucky. I don't know. Waves issues in DP9, for me, are nonexistent.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com