DP optimization with VEPro - Master/Slave System

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
massimosammi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP optimization with VEPro - Master/Slave System

Post by massimosammi »

Hello there,

I'd need some help to understand how to make the most out my Master-Slave system with DP.

I have a MacBook and a MacMini, they both run DP9 and VEPro 5 and have the same content in the sample drives.

Here are the specs:

2011 8,2 MacBook Pro

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

16GB RAM

480GB OWC Mercury Electra 3G SSD OS Drive

960GB HD 5400rpm Sample Drive (in the optical bay)

2012 Mac Mini Server

2.3GHz i7 Quad Core

16GB RAM

480GB OWC Mercury Extreme 6G SSD OS Drive

960GB OWC Mercury Electra 6G SSD Sample Drive

My template has currently around 100 tracks divided into 2 VEPro MAS instances - one with woodwinds/brass/strings/synths and the other one with percussions. Until some months ago I was using the MacBook as a Master and the MacMini as a slave with the bigger instance on it, while keeping the VEPro instance with the percussion running on the Master - streaming from the sample drive - but after working fine for a few months it started to get jittery all of the sudden.

So right now I'm running everything on the MacMini and it works more or less fine, but I was wondering if it would make sense to use other options based on:
- the gear that I have
- the way that DP allocates the CPU resources in case of multiple VEPro MAS instances.

Thanks in advance!