running FCPX on your DP machine - need help

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Okay. So traditionally I have always run FCPX on a standalone iMac. But I need to have it run on one of my bigger DP production rigs. Yesterday I did the install, repaired permission rebooted, yada yada yada. Launched FCPX and it just spun and spun and spun. Did a force quit and saw a whole bunch of auvatool things in the list of apps. Did the same thing reboot tried again, same results. So a quick google search shows me that FCPX has problems with some Audio Units. Waves, bluecoat etc... Of course, there are hundreds of them of my main DP rigs.

So how are you guys and gals able to run FCPX on your DP rigs successfully? Appreciate the tips cause I am :banghead:
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

I don't have a lot of time to explain now but what FCPX is doing is testing all your AU plus one at a time. If you let it go long enough if should go through all your plugs. Give it 10 minutes or so. After that it won't do it anymore.

Better solution I use is an older app for making audio unit sets and moving AUs out of the Components folder before you start a FCPX session. I'll have to check later on the name of it, but it's older so it requires a work around (changing permissions on your Components folder) to make it work properly on newer OSes.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Killahurts
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: running FCPX on your DP machine - need help

Post by Killahurts »

James Steele wrote:I don't have a lot of time to explain now but what FCPX is doing is testing all your AU plus one at a time. If you let it go long enough if should go through all your plugs. Give it 10 minutes or so. After that it won't do it anymore.
I went through this exact scenario a few days ago. I too though something was broken, but it takes FCPX that long to examine the AUs. One thing, if you have unlicensed plugins, like expired demos, etc., and they are turned off in DP, they will not be turned off outside of DP, and will complain when an app like FCPX examines them. Easier to remove those plugs from the components folder first. Some plugin companies require you to install everything, even if you use just one plugin. SSL (Duende Native) is like that. I think Soundtoys is too. FCPX will not let these go after the first examination, and will remind you every time you start the app, that those are unlicensed.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
labman

Post by labman »

Good tips guys. I appreciate it. Will have to just let it run over lunch.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
labman

Post by labman »

You guys were right. It takes a LOOONNNG time on the first boot.

But I am feeling much better now. :)