Audio Loops I import are not perfect with the tempo.

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
monogee
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Audio Loops I import are not perfect with the tempo.

Post by monogee »

I find when I import an audio loop that's 4 bars long and adjust the loop to the tempo of the sequence, it is not perfectly adjusted to 4 bars. It goes a little beyond the 5/1/000 measure. Has anyone experienced this? Thanks.
Mac Pro (Early 2009), Processor 2x2.66GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon
OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
DP9 Ver. 9.5
philbrown

Re: Audio Loops I import are not perfect with the tempo.

Post by philbrown »

If I'm reading correctly, it's a math issue. At X tempo, 4 beats = (made-up example) = 3.11125 seconds.
Audio can only be divided at sample points (no such thing as a fraction of a sample) so maybe it can only come out (again a made-up example) 3.11122. There's probably a fractional tempo that would solve that, but I'm not sure how to work the math.

That's my best guess to answer your question.
I have had trouble in the past even with MIDI loops- if they loop a long time like 30-40 minutes they eventually drift off the tempo. Seemed like a bug to me at the time. I haven't run into that lately, this was years ago when I was doing different things with DP. IIRC my workaround was to Paste-repeat the loop many times to the length I wanted rather than using DP's loop feature. I'm fuzzy on whether I did that with audio too, it's been too long.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Tonio

Re: Audio Loops I import are not perfect with the tempo.

Post by Tonio »

Best way to import a audio loop is to know the tempo of the loop, set the DP sequence to that tempo, then import the loop.

I use DSP Quattro or other app.. hmmm I 'm forgetting the name.

EDIT mixmeister BPM analyzer
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES