Model 12 stops outputting sound

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
sdemott
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Model 12 stops outputting sound

Post by sdemott »

So, I have a project where, after some time (sometimes 10 minutes sometimes less) Model 12 just stops making sound. the associated MIDI track still shows output on the meter, but the Model12 track has nothing. The only fix so far is to close the session and then reopen.

anyone else experiencing this?

DP 8.07
OS 10.10.5
Project is 48k, 24-bit int - running off an external drive, the processing meeter is about 1/3 throughout and the playback meter is barely registering anything. It's not a big project (10 mono audio tracks, 1 MIDI, 1 instrument, 2 stereo aux busses and a Master)

Thanks!

-Steve
-Steve
Not all who wander are lost.
stubbsonic

Re: Model 12 stops outputting sound

Post by stubbsonic »

I had a similar thing where a bus just stopped sending audio. It turned out to be a bad project file. I had to import all chunks into a fresh project.

As an experiment, you could try starting a new project, importing the chunk in question into a new project and seeing if it still does it.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Have you tried increasing the Buffer size? Of course, you may have it maxed already...
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I seem to recall that this is an old bug and that turning off pre-rendering fixes the problem.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
sdemott

Post by sdemott »

Thanks all. Much appreciated. I'll try these fixes when I get back to the studio.
-Steve
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Model 12 has been doing this for years. I wish MOTU would address this. I don't think they've looked at this plug-in quite a while. BTW, a quicker way to get it to start output again is to disable it in the TO window (enable column) and re-enable it - no restart required.

I've tried many things through the years (including pre-reder vs real time) and nothing seems to work. I think this is a bona fide plug-in bug. I've reported this to MOTU, but no response. This problem seems to creep up when there are many notes to be played (i.e., long songs at fast tempos). I rarely see it in shorter songs. I use Model 12 routinely for custom click tracks and not much else, so usually my application involves a 1 or 2 measure figure with infinite loop. My work-around (when this rears it's head) is to record an audio track from the loop and use the audio track as my click. If Model 12 craps out during the recording of the audio track, I just reset Model 12 and pick up (punch in) the track where I left off.

Sorry, I have no solutions for this one. :(

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
sdemott

Post by sdemott »

Thanks Phil. That all seems to sync with my experience. The TO disable/re-enable trick is great, that will save me time.

So let me ask, what are most people using for drum tracks when they aren't using a real drummer? This is new territory for me. I usually have a real drummer play the tracks.

Thanks all.
-Steve
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

BFD and Stylus. Killer combo IMHO, although live (great) drummer is (almost) always better, of course.
danewp01
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by danewp01 »

Can you guys help me out here? What is the "TO window?" I have this same issue and would like a quicker way to kick it in the pants.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Track Overview
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

You didn't say what version of DP you have. I think this was fixed in DP 11, but don't quote me on that.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

sdemott wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:36 pmSo let me ask, what are most people using for drum tracks when they aren't using a real drummer? This is new territory for me. I usually have a real drummer play the tracks.
My needs for drums sounds are modest but while working up the tracks I’ve been using the free version of MODO Drum from IKM. The free version has only one set, but there are about 60 sounds, and with a few plugins you can get a lot more variety.

It got panned after all the positive things people said about MODO Bass, but I like it.

I also have a DM5 that comes in handy now and then. If you poke through the hundreds of samples you can find quite a few that sound suspiciously like Neil Peart.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
danewp01
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by danewp01 »

I have DP 10. It's been great, other than this issue, and some crashing due to my Arturia CS-80 plug-in. If this is no longer an issue in DP 11, that's enough to convince me to get it.
Phil O wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:12 pm You didn't say what version of DP you have. I think this was fixed in DP 11, but don't quote me on that.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil