Why can't DP import/open MIDI files anymore unless lowercase

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Why can't DP import/open MIDI files anymore unless lowercase

Post by mhschmieder »

I think I first noticed this problem a month or two ago, but wrote it off as I wasn't positive I had accessed the specific MIDI files before, but was unable to detect a lock on them.

This is time-sensitive; I need this to work this very second, but have to move on vs. losing productivity and will just have to find other sources for some jazz guitar fills as I'll get nothing done tonight if I try to resolve the problem, and am also convinced I won't succeed (based on previous attempts).

I have a gazillion MIDI pattern files from TWIDDLY.BITS that use upper-case ".MID" as the file extension instead of ".mid". As of some recent update to DP, these will no longer drag/drop or even directly open or load. Yet they are fine, not locked, and work in QuickTime etc.

If I rename one of them to ".mid", it can be dragged/dropped and opened/loaded in DP 9.

I'm unwilling to take the risk on botching up a Unix command-line attempt to batch rename all of my MIDI files that have upper-case extensions, so am wondering if anyone has run into this and found a solution in DP settings (I checked but found nothing).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
frankf

Re: Why can't DP import/open MIDI files anymore unless lower

Post by frankf »

If you're using OS X 10 or greater, you can try this:
http://osxdaily.com/2015/05/28/batch-re ... -x-finder/

I use Better Finder Rename
http://www.publicspace.net/ABetterFinde ... grade.html

Try them on a few files first. If all goes well, do the lot of them.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

What happens if you go to the Get Info page for one of them and change the default application for opening ".MID" files to DP?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

.. another thought - does this happen a lot? Did you format your drive using the "case-sensitive" option in DiskUtility?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Just noticed a similar thing with .WAV vs .wav files.

My Zoom H2n always capitalizes it's file extensions: MP3, WAV, etc.

DP won't let me drag & drop .WAV files unless they are switched to .wav

Not a big deal, just thought I'd mention it. I'm tempted to write to Zoom and ask them to change it, as I don't have any other apps that produce extensions with caps. Perhaps that's an MS-DOS thing?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Easy fix with Frank's suggestion. I use the finder batch thing a lot. Works great.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Thanks for the great suggestions, and also for bringing up that the case sensitivity issue is not relegated just to MIDI files.

I might have tried one of those options a few years back. I can't remember how so many of the files ended up upper-case anymore.

Get Info can be interesting, and dangerous. If I am quickly auditioning a MIDI file, I do NOT want Digital Performer to auto-launch, but rather QuickTime (if anything). My lower-case ".mid" files were assigned to QT using Get Info, at one point. I will probably make sure once again tat upper-case ".MID" files are as well.

The batch utilities sound like the best route. Although I'm a software engineer, I don't DARE write my own command line scripts for stuff as important and hard to verify as audio production oriented files, as it would be too hard and time-consuming to verify the results.

With software development, it is fairly easy and quick to verify no side effects of incorrect command-line usage, or to back it out quickly. Much smaller number -- and types -- of files overall, and easy to check with many tools vs. requiring (in most cases) direct verification in actual real-world audio project contexts (and many files are orphaned and not used yet, and thus are hard to verify until it's too late to find an uncorrupted backup).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

stubbsonic wrote:Just noticed a similar thing with .WAV vs .wav files.

My Zoom H2n always capitalizes it's file extensions: MP3, WAV, etc.

DP won't let me drag & drop .WAV files unless they are switched to .wav

Not a big deal, just thought I'd mention it. I'm tempted to write to Zoom and ask them to change it, as I don't have any other apps that produce extensions with caps. Perhaps that's an MS-DOS thing?
I get large Zoom/WAV files every week and have never had a problem with DP8 drag and drop. Can't comment on DP9. Sorry for the off-topic, I just thought I'd address this side-issue.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Not really off-topic. Seems the case-sensitivity issue with file extensions crept in with DP9. I too do not remember a problem with DP8.