DP 9.02 automation has gone whacko But DP 8 works

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 9.02 automation has gone whacko But DP 8 works

Post by toodamnhip »

Please see original post below but here’s an update:
I could not fix DP 902 automation basically failing.
Testing seemed to point out that I hit some kind of “WALL” where DP could;t handle it anymore, after which, automation just plain couldn’t keep up with real time.

The solution, got back to DP 8.07 and finish the mix.
To me, this means DP 8.07 is less a processor hog. I have a 12 core mac so my comp is no slouch. But clearly, DP 8.07 is more efficient than 9!

Original post:

I have had complaints about DP snapshot automation for some time. There are long term issues that have not been fixed.

But this is different, I am used to a file occasionally mis firing where automation screws up upon hitting play. But now I have a file that is just terrible. It misses it;s automation 40% of the time or more.

Guitars play too loud, then, rewind and they will play right. I automate heavily and this file seemed fine for a long time but now it is just terrible. I can still work but it is very frustrating as to get a section to automate right takes several attempts sometimes, all while TRYING to mix.
I have tried:
Re installing waves.
Various computer repairs such as fsk repair and prefs, sudo periodic daily weekly monthly etc.
Replacing DPs prefs
Re scanning AUs
Making a new file and importing the old file into the new file.
Thinning automation data.

I am now re installing DP. We’ll see.

My next thought is to manually import into a fresh file, every instrumental group of the song, one by one. But with DPs omission of sub takes being transferred via song clips, this is not an ideal solution.

After that, I will perhaps search all the automation data for some sort of strange sys ex or something that could be bogging the automation performance.

Anyone else experienced a large DP mix suddenly having such automation issues?
Last edited by toodamnhip on Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: DP 9.02 automation has gone whacko

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

If you are using large or heavily scripted VIs, are they in their own instance of the VI w/o other instruments sharing that particular VI? Doing this will distribute the processing in a multi-core system and makes a significant improvement in performance - especially playback.

One I removed Waves from my system about 95% of my problems disappeared. Just sayin'...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
toodamnhip

Re: DP 9.02 automation has gone whacko

Post by toodamnhip »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:If you are using large or heavily scripted VIs, are they in their own instance of the VI w/o other instruments sharing that particular VI? Doing this will distribute the processing in a multi-core system and makes a significant improvement in performance - especially playback.

One I removed Waves from my system about 95% of my problems disappeared. Just sayin'...
VIs already bounced to audio but I will admit the VI folder is still in the chunk. I might try removing it as in the past, I have found that VI’s still draw juice from DP even if “off”
As far as removing Waves, no way, impossible. MOTU and Waves will have to learn to get along someday.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
HCMarkus

Re: DP 9.02 automation has gone whacko But DP 8 works

Post by HCMarkus »

Waves and DP 8.07 getting along fine here. Running under Mountain Lion.

I use Waves plugins on every mix.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

HCMarkus wrote:Waves and DP 8.07 getting along fine here. Running under Mountain Lion.

I use Waves plugins on every mix.
How about 9? How about mute automation on ALL waves plugs? Various fail at mute.
How about trying to snap shot automate a pre set loaded in a waves plug in? Try these things.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I don't run DP9. Not interested being a Beta Tester for any product. I have work to accomplish and a finite number of years until I am no longer able to process audio. If it doesn't work, I use something else. Too many tools, so little time.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

HCMarkus wrote:I don't run DP9. Not interested being a Beta Tester for any product. I have work to accomplish and a finite number of years until I am no longer able to process audio. If it doesn't work, I use something else. Too many tools, so little time.
Yeah, I really think DP needs more Beta help I offered, no one bit...lol....

There are some nice things about 9 though. Mute on MIDI is cool.
And it can be really cool to have various lanes open, especially when mixing and comping vocals.
For example, when comping vocals now, I can have the pitch, volume and soundbite level lanes open and see and adjust them all simultaneously..very nice.

I will add this weird quirk about going form 9 to 8.

Several of the track opened up in 8 with the sub takes which were formerly hidden in 9, splayed open. I had to re tuck them in using the “hide” command. Other than that, I am mixing in DP 8 and hoping no big drama hits me I haven;t foreseen.
Life in soft ware land continues.....
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I can only sympathize. Not having any of those issues.

Only have one Waves plug that I've never used (can't even remember what it is except that it was a freebie that put me on their email list).
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

mikehalloran wrote:I can only sympathize. Not having any of those issues.

Only have one Waves plug that I've never used (can't even remember what it is except that it was a freebie that put me on their email list).
Waves have always had the best library of plug ins for me. By far, not a doubt. I could;t live without them. For each of us, these things are like paint brushes. If we could only get our damn software to work so we only had to think of our brushes, painting with sound would have one less heartache.

If I had time, Id write more on DP 9s issues, there are many. I hope there are some large lists of fixes coming up in the next update.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

toodamnhip wrote:
Waves have always had the best library of plug ins for me. By far, not a doubt. I could;t live without them. For each of us, these things are like paint brushes.
Waves is controversial as a company, but I must agree that they offer an amazing library.
I have been using Waves for years and am very happy with the sonic results.
Not sure why MOTU and Waves can't line up.
Wave plugs work perfectly in Logic and PT.
All is well
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

waterstrum wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:
Waves have always had the best library of plug ins for me. By far, not a doubt. I could;t live without them. For each of us, these things are like paint brushes.
Waves is controversial as a company, but I must agree that they offer an amazing library.
I have been using Waves for years and am very happy with the sonic results.
Not sure why MOTU and Waves can't line up.
Wave plugs work perfectly in Logic and PT.
Seeing how Slate and others are going to a yearly subscription plan, I think the industry is now moving to the “controversial” waves model for plug ins.
By the way, DP as problems with all 3rd party plugs and VIs in one way or another. I think DP tends to be isololated form 3rd party company cooperation. I have seen this clearly as a tester for various companies. That is my experience. 3rd party companies waiting on MOTU to fix ••••.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

By the way, DP as problems with all 3rd party plugs and VIs in one way or another
Not my experience.

I have over 150 plugs but tend to use around 25. It depends on the project, of course. I have VIs from nine or ten companies. Except for a few 32bit only that were never upgraded that can't work with 32Lives, everything still works fine—as for those, I've moved on.

I'm not quite used to DP 9.02 but am having no problems. When something doesn't behave the way I expect, I've found the answer here or in the documentation (which I give a B). I haven't had issues with DP 8 since 8.02 and the first few builds of Mavericks. I've not filed a Tech Link since DP 7.24.

I do not see anything in Waves that I need. You do. Ok. Not my issue. Your constant harangue that, because you can't get things working means that everything must be wrong for everyone is flat out not true.

I'm sorry that you are having all these problems. Really, I am. I wish I could fix them. My system, however, is fine. Ok, Dragon Dictate for Mac absolutely sucks but that's not a DP issue.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

toodamnhip wrote:By the way, DP as problems with all 3rd party plugs and VIs in one way or another. I think DP tends to be isololated form 3rd party company cooperation. I have seen this clearly as a tester for various companies. That is my experience. 3rd party companies waiting on MOTU to fix ••••.
I would also have to disagree with the sentiment here. I've spent roughly 15 years messing with plug ins, and with three DAWs mostly, DP, Logic and Live. At various times all three DAWs have had periods of stability and periods of instability, and yes, almost all the time that's related to the interaction with plug ins. Logic with it's innate advantages, owned by the OS and plug in format AU maker Apple, has had times of instability with plug ins. Live and DP have the distinct disadvantage of being beholden to Steinberg and Apple for plug in format compatibility, and let's face the facts here, Cubase and Logic are very very likely going to be always the DAWs that get tested for VST and AU compatibility first, DP and Live with their ability to host both formats are going to be last in line. Even with that in mind, Cubase and Logic don't get high accolades for plug in stability. Yes, DP has issues with plug ins at times, sometimes crippling issues. No, DP is not unique at all in this regard, and in my personal experience not any worse than the others. Just so you know, I'm a ridiculous plug in collector with roughly 300 plug ins in my components folder. :oops:

I agree that 9.02 is like 8 was early on though for sure, and hope they release a stable update before the big one, NextGen PreGen etc., and hopefully release the new features as "9.5" that can live next to 9.03 or whatever so we can test the waters etc.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

OK guys, lets not get dramatic, No one said “everything’s not working”. The idea that I have a constant “harangue” means I am either somewhat psycho or something is not getting fixed for years?

And my opinion that MOTU is slow to fix 3rd party bugs is borne out by years of experience, just like the amount of time you guys have.

Perhaps I could do a webcast one day and fully demonstrate DP failing, month to month to those not believing me? But why? This is not a debate.

If either of you happy campers can successfully snap shot automate DP 9 with or with out pasting, I’d love to hear it.

More germane to this post I will state that I do miss the ability to MIDI learn in DP 9 and may have to go BACK to 9 to ride lead vocal High end boosts. But thus far, DP 8 is chasing automation pretty damn well, where DP 9 failed.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

mikehalloran wrote:

I'm not quite used to DP 9.02 but am having no problems. .
Post a video of you successfully snap shot automating various plug ins, including waves. Load pre sets, and paste the data in too, then take snap shots.

And..agreeing or not on these issues, thanks for at least hearing out the issues I have reported.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13