Something is definitely wrong with DP9 AUTOSAVE...

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Clevelandrawks
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Something is definitely wrong with DP9 AUTOSAVE...

Post by Clevelandrawks »

Killahurts wrote:
Clevelandrawks wrote:I don't use VEP. mainly because i had heard too that 64-bit was a problem. So I never upgraded.
VEP did 64 bit and 32 bit at the same time. Still does. They've been ahead of the curve in every respect, for years now. Not sure what you're referring to?
Not a problem at all. I don't like VEP. It caused more problems than I care to share with my client base. And the eventual slowdown in productivity is the LAST thing I need when scoring trailers with hard case deadlines. I'm sure VEP works for some well. Just not for me. Sorry...
MAC pro quad-core, 32GB memory, OS X 10.11.3, DP 9.01, Protools 11.3, Logic Pro X, REAPER, RX5, Altiverb-7, Speakerphone 2 and WAVElab 8. 10TB of raid, plugs, plugs and more plugs.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Clevelandrawks wrote:Not a problem at all. I don't like VEP. It caused more problems than I care to share with my client base. And the eventual slowdown in productivity is the LAST thing I need when scoring trailers with hard case deadlines. I'm sure VEP works for some well. Just not for me. Sorry...
No need to be sorry. I wish I didn't have to use VEP. I'm doing some of the same kind of work right now, and my template is fairly large. I wanted to have it all in one machine and use V-Racks (which I love), but on my computer, the larger the build got, the worse performance I got that way. It became unusable at about the middle of brass. So I started over and pulled up VE Pro to see if it would help. I had never used it on the host computer in the past, only on slave machines. The performance was so much better.. I was surprised actually.. I finished the template, three times larger than what I had in the V-Rack, and have no significant performance issues. Plus if I get a lot of stuff in there and it starts to lag, I can use the preserve/decouple option. I still have a few things in the V-Racks though, including the VEP instances themselves.

Don't get me wrong- as soon as we get the new DP with the Gen 2 Pre Gen (?) feature, I'll try the V-Racks again, for the whole enchilada.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Very rarely, auto save “saves” my ass.
But I have the best auto save feature ever invented, it’s called my thumb and pointer finger hitting the keys command and S.
Over the yrs I have developed this feature to the point where ANYTIME I make ANY maneuver I do not want to lose, it is automatically saved without thought.
Thumb and pointer finger, highly recommended. No upgrades or bug fixes required.
But I will add this.
Whenever there appears to be a crash coming, I can usually hear the hard drive going crazy a bit before. In this case, I IMMEDIATELY hit command shift and or 3 and take a screen shot. This shows me exactly where I was and need to get back to. Can be helpful at times.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

toodamnhip wrote:
Whenever there appears to be a crash coming, I can usually hear the hard drive going crazy a bit before. In this case, I IMMEDIATELY hit command shift and or 3 and take a screen shot. This shows me exactly where I was and need to get back to. Can be helpful at times.
Great tip. I'm going to add that to my Custom Keypad setup.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

bayswater wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:
As an ethical producer who is billing studio time..lol, I need to know when to stop and start billing. So if I crash, I stop clients time and once I get BACK to where I was, I re engage “the clock”.
Thus, knowing exactly where I was keeps my conscience happy too.

PS.
I tried billing MOTU for the lost time.....they didn’t respond...lol (JK)
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
frankf

Post by frankf »

bayswater wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:
... I IMMEDIATELY hit command shift and or 3 and take a screen shot. This shows me exactly where I was and need to get back to. Can be helpful at times.
Bayswater, great Custom Keypad idea. I never thought of adding screenshot for this.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

toodamnhip wrote:Very rarely, auto save “saves” my ass.
But I have the best auto save feature ever invented, it’s called my thumb and pointer finger hitting the keys command and S.
Over the yrs I have developed this feature to the point where ANYTIME I make ANY maneuver I do not want to lose, it is automatically saved without thought.
You and me, both, bro. And yet Auto Save still saves my ass about once a month.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
DanielCoe

Post by DanielCoe »

Auto save has saved my tuckus many times, and sometimes many times a day. I never futzed with the preferences but for having it save every 2 minutes and only keeping 20 versions. I also use VEP and second, third and fourth the DECOUPLE feature. Without it one can get by with just a few instances open, but the more you have the slower the save is, even to the point of bringing work to a halt and crashing the computer. Sorry to hear of your woes and bring nothing new to the conversation. :roll:

BTW I'm still on Mavericks 10.9.5
Mac Pro (Mid 2010) 2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
128GB RAM
MOTU 2408 mk3
Mac OS 10.14.6
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

frankf wrote:
bayswater wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:
... I IMMEDIATELY hit command shift and or 3 and take a screen shot. This shows me exactly where I was and need to get back to. Can be helpful at times.
Bayswater, great Custom Keypad idea. I never thought of adding screenshot for this.
When you start thinking about it, there are loads of helpful multi command macros and general Finder commands you add to a Keypad screen. You can also program musical notes and perhaps other MIDI commands on the buttons by invoking MIDI Keys.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

toodamnhip wrote:Whenever there appears to be a crash coming, I can usually hear the hard drive going crazy a bit before. In this case, I IMMEDIATELY hit command shift and or 3 and take a screen shot. This shows me exactly where I was and need to get back to. Can be helpful at times.

That's a good tip. I actually do the same thing. Another thing I do with a general screenshot is to keep a record of my hard drives and their names. I've got about 15 of them on screen at once, sometimes more, and my cats are often getting on my desk when I go for coffee or something. They always seem to nail the RETURN key, which means the next thing they do, if the Finder is active, is to rename a hard drive. Sometimes I don't notice for a day or two, too late for UNDO, so I keep screenshots on the root level of my system drive showing me the names of everything, plus what is supposed to be open. The cats have ejected disks from time to time, also. In fact, they manage to do all kinds of things that I'd LOVE to know the key-command for, but often can't find it even in the system preferences.

Yeah, I'm getting soft. I'd never have let a cat on my desk when I was working for a living!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|