Comments on DP 9.02

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Comments on DP 9.02

Post by Shooshie »

Tonio wrote:
Shooshie wrote:Are others getting a lot more pops and clicks in their actual mixes and tracks?
Could this be DP's doing, or is this a sign of hard drive failure, or a Core Audio problem in Yosemite?

Shooshie
hmmm. no clicks or pops here, but issues with I assume the audio driver. I need to test and re install perhaps. I cannot turn on my 828x after computer is booted without issues. It will kill the OS since upgrading to Yosemite 10.10.5 / DP9.02 ( sorry my profile is not updated).
Not good news for the 828X. My 896mk3 is holding up well in 10.10.5. Your issues could be just a specific version of the drivers. You might be able to delete the drivers and re-install an older version. (if you're using the newest version right now)

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

definitely need to check the drivers. yes, using the newest currently.
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I haven't recorded much in 9.02, but done a fair bit of editing and mixing of audio recorded in earlier versions of DP, or in other applications. Today I was setting up some channel strips in anticipation of some guitar recordings, and started experiencing some of the problems mentioned earlier in this thread.

In particular:

1. Clicks while monitoring through a channel with either the Monitor or Record button active. It gets worse with more plugins, but happens even without plugins. It happens with small or large buffers. Some, but not all of the clicks find their way into recorded tracks. This does not appear to be a problem with my interface, because the same setup in Logic and DSP-Quattro results in no clicks.

2. Levels shown in the mixer and the meter bridge are different. This happens with a simplified setup with one mono or stereo audio channel fed by a DI with a single stereo out. No plugins, all faders and pan at zero. The meter bridge shows signals about 4db higher than the mixer. Clipping shows on the meter bridge before it shows on the mixer as levels increase. I thought this might be something to do with pan laws but it happens with stereo inputs.

3. Monitored levels on the input are lower by a few db than levels on the output. All faders and pans are set to zero in DP and in the application for my interface. In 8.07 if I put a test signal into this setup, all meters show the same level on all channels in the mixer and meter bridge. Levels are also the same in Logic. I'm not too sure about this one because if I feed DP with a test signal from DSP-Q via Soundflower, inputs and outputs read the same, although the mixer and meter bridge still show a difference of about 4db.

4. Inserts are not working properly. E.g. Put five plugins on a channel. Remove the plugins from inserts A and B by selecting them and pressing the Delete key. Now, adding a new plugin to either A or B results in an error message about an attempt to add a plugin to an insert that has one already. The newly added plugin GUI shows up and can be manipulated, but it has no effect on the sound.

Workaround: Right click on empty inserts that previous had a plugin, and select "none". Now a new plugin can be added to an insert and it will work. Intermittently, adding plugins to inserts without resorting to this workaround causes DP to crash.

I have the second to latest update of 9.02. Has anyone seen any of the issues, and seen them disappear with the latest update?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

I can confirm that DP 9.02 and the newest version of VE Pro does not freeze if VE is coming into DP through an Aux track. This method used to work and now something is broken...
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

toodamnhip wrote:I can confirm that DP 9.02 and the newest version of VE Pro does not freeze if VE is coming into DP through an Aux track. This method used to work and now something is broken...
Are you saying that tracks don't freeze, or that VE Pro doesn't freeze?

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Shooshie wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:I can confirm that DP 9.02 and the newest version of VE Pro does not freeze if VE is coming into DP through an Aux track. This method used to work and now something is broken...
Are you saying that tracks don't freeze, or that VE Pro doesn't freeze?

Shoosh
IN DP, the “frozen” track will have NO audio in it if the audio is coming in from VE Pro. If same audio comes in through main VE Plug in in DP, it will work fine. Used to be able to bring audio from an aux bus
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

Another little quirk when changing buffer settings in the control panel is that a fairly loud thump noise happens when the buffer change completes it's process. It almost sounds like a kick drum. Scares the heck out of me when I'm not expecting it.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

I jumped from 8.07 to 9.02.

I'm jumping back to what was the very stable 8.07.

I'm hoping 9 doesn't mess with the stability of the formerly installed 8.

My fear is that MOTU is more focused on the Windows version, or maybe they don't have beta testers for the Mac version?

DP9 reminds me of DP6.....

That being said, I'm a confirmed DP supporter for many years.
I know that MOTU will get this sorted out.
All is well
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I'm able to use 9 just fine, but I am impatiently waiting for updates. It seems to me that MOTU are going to put out the NextGen PreGen, improved buffer update next and not bother with a bugfix update here? Hopefully I'm wrong, as someone whose livelihood isn't tied to DP9 I suppose I could be selfish and want the new goodies yesterday, but I would rather DP get rave reviews across the board when that comes out rather than more problems etc.

I guess it's always possible that the update fixes known issues, that they've already done substantial behind the scenes coding to make implementing the NextGen PreGen etc. easier? That does make sense, tackle the initial reported bugs with 9.02 before tacking on the NextGen improvements.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I've experienced a few bugs in 9.02, but not enough to make me want to backtrack. So far, I've been using it successfully with my clients. I've gotten a feel for where the problems are and avoid them. I, too, look forward to bug fixes, but 9.02 is serving me well in the meantime. JMHO

Philippe
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

Using it now for "fun" projects, but never for "mission critical".
Too many bugs and surprises.
Please bring us 9.17?
I love DP.
All is well
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I've used it in several projects and it's been great with one exception. I did a "for fun" project last week and duplicated a chunk by mistake. When I went to delete it, DP 9 crashed and I still can't delete the chunk w/o crashing. Also can't load the other chunks from that project. DP crashes. Corrupt file, for sure. I don't see a way around it. Again, the other projects seem fine. I'm not worried but would love to see an update soon as well.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I've used it in several projects and it's been great with one exception. I did a "for fun" project last week and duplicated a chunk by mistake. When I went to delete it, DP 9 crashed and I still can't delete the chunk w/o crashing. Also can't load the other chunks from that project. DP crashes. Corrupt file, for sure. I don't see a way around it. Again, the other projects seem fine. I'm not worried but would love to see an update soon as well.
I've had issues from time to time with various OSX versions where I couldn't delete a file. After a cold reboot I was able to do so. Maybe this will help you?
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

I can confirm as well that the "auto save" feature....although a cool concept, is crashing my DP with and without VEP instantiated. Turned it off and haven't had a crash yet.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.
csiaudio
Location: Indiana; Where the corn is tall and the women are wide!

Post by csiaudio »

waterstrum wrote:I jumped from 8.07 to 9.02.

I'm jumping back to what was the very stable 8.07.

I'm hoping 9 doesn't mess with the stability of the formerly installed 8.

My fear is that MOTU is more focused on the Windows version, or maybe they don't have beta testers for the Mac version?

DP9 reminds me of DP6.....

That being said, I'm a confirmed DP supporter for many years.
I know that MOTU will get this sorted out.
Sadly I'm seeing so many issues with DP 9 it's truly disappointing. 10 months has passed since it's release and there's been 2 updates but yet still major issues are apparent. I too feel MOTU is more focused on coming out with hardware, Windows versions and are counting on us to be the beta testers. Where's the 'face palm' emoji?
Capturing the Colors of Sound!

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub