Comments on DP 9.02

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Comments on DP 9.02

Post by Shooshie »

I need a place to keep my comments on DP 9.02 together, rather than just tacking them on to random threads. This is going to be that place. You're all welcome to join in, but please try to post verifiable bugs or things you have seen and need 2nd-party confirmation. No rants, please.

I'll start with some things I've posted elsewhere, then add newer observations.

The "Disappearing Window Bug," aka the NEW View Filter Bug. Just when they fixed the View Filter so that novices aren't accidentally clicking on it and making all their data disappear, they've given us a new one that makes the entire window disappear. This isn't a bug. It's just the new Search Field in several of the windows. TAB puts you in it, but if you type Spacebar a couple times, you'll see all your tracks just disappear. That's because it's searching for a track with two spaces together, and most track names do not have that. I have an entire thread about this elsewhere. Here's a quote which I think sums up what we need for MOTU to change about this feature:
  • I just think they need to create a text box that comes up when a search yields no results. It should explain that no tracks matched the search, and ask if you want to re-type your search or exit. That would stop a lot of people from calling MOTU Tech Support, not to mention posting here about their missing window. I also think they should NOT hardwire the keyboard command for the search field. Why suddenly the change from allowing us to set our own commands? (I know, I know, there've always been commands that were hard-wired. But new commands ought to be flexible.)
• I've had trouble with editor windows opening from another chunk (not currently active), and sometimes it's quite a puzzler getting it back to the correct editor window [in the current chunk]. We had a similar problem back in version 5 or 6, but it was more subtle. I haven't figured out what triggers this, but it happens a lot now. Not hard to do at all, apparently.

• A rainbow wheel of death spun for 10 minutes before I finally realized that it wasn't going to come back, and I suspect it originated during an Auto-Save while I was clicking on other things. Not verified, but I've seen others mention similar problems. Weak bug report, but I don't have any reproducible evidence at this point.

• I had a total lock-up when looking for a preset for the MOTU Plate Reverb, but I realize that I was using the MAS version, and I think I've been using AU or VST in the past. Not sure about any of that except the part where it locked up while I was messing around in the preset menu. When DP rebooted, it had to re-read every single plugin while in the splash screen. Are MAS plugins now unstable?

• I've been getting a LOT of pops and clicks which I thought were not in the soundbites, but random occurrences. Many are random, but I'm getting many reproducible clicks associated with comp track sections and borders, and also many that are just in the soundbites. I can usually get rid of the comp-related clicks with extra-careful positioning of borders and soundbites within them. Sometimes I just have to choose another take for that section. As for the other clicks that are actually in the soundbites, I don't know what's causing those. They will happen a lot in one song, which is the identical track layout and similar music to the other tracks where there is no noise whatsoever. Why suddenly one Chunk picks up a couple dozen clicks? Its cloned sisters are pristine. I guess there's just got to be a dirty chunk somewhere.

• Control Panel sometimes disappears when I switch to and from other apps. The menu for opening Control Panel would not bring it back. Switching to various windows, as well as back and forth to CueMix finally brought back the Control Panel. Sorry that I can't remember the exact one that did the trick. It happened several times, but the first time was the only one that seemed like it wasn't going to come back. Afterward, it would come back with minimal fiddling.

• I love the new clock, sample, bit and buffer menus in the Control Panel. However, the buffer menu is off by one line. That is, when you choose 256, it sets the buffer to 512. Choose 64 and it sets it to 128. 512 becomes 1024. Compare to the Configure Hardware Driver dialog box and you'll find that the buffer listed there is half that of the menu in the control panel.

• Snip and Comp are at each others' throats! If I have a mix that includes one or more comped tracks, each compiled of a mosaic of takes, and if I select all tracks and attempt to Snip a range out of it. For simplicity, let's say we are deleting the first 4 bars. Snip deletes the bars and moves the tracks to fill the gap. But the comp tracks' takes are all skewed with their timing hither and yonder. Nothing lines up any more. Snip and Comp are useless together. Those have gotta be fixed! Anyone want to try it and see if it's happening there?

• In the MIDI Edit Window, "Lines Mode" is all screwed up. At least, it was when I tried it a few weeks ago. I haven't tried i recently, and I'm not sure whether it was a previous version or 9.02, so i need to try that again. Basically, it won't accept new control points by merely clicking on the line. When you finally coerce it into taking some control points, they won't edit the way they are supposed to. Again, I need to look this one up again and see if it's still broken in 9.02.

That's all I can think of for now. Will add more as I remember or find them.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Comments on DP 9.02

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Disappearing tracks. Not in UNDO history. Nowhere to be found. Close w/o saving and they reappear. Save first and they're history for good.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Shooshie wrote:[...]• I love the new clock, sample, bit and buffer menus in the Control Panel. However, the buffer menu is off by one line. That is, when you choose 256, it sets the buffer to 512. Choose 64 and it sets it to 128. 512 becomes 1024. Compare to the Configure Hardware Driver dialog box and you'll find that the buffer listed there is half that of the menu in the control panel. [...]
Well... Stunning! Would that explain why 4096 buffer value is NOT present in Control Panel, while it DOES appear in Configure Hardware Driver dialog box?
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Disappearing tracks. Not in UNDO history. Nowhere to be found. Close w/o saving and they reappear. Save first and they're history for good.
As a matter of fact tracks never *disappear*.

Hitting Tab and then hitting any letter, number or word, and DP will show tracks who's name include that letter, number or word (sitting in track selector search area).

I.E. if you hit Tab, then *space* (with spacebar), only tracks including *space* in their names will display. Most of the time that will be no track all.

Give yourself a chance to catch what's going on, with this simple test:
- hit Tab
- hit spacebar
- all your tracks disapear
- hit erase
- all your tracks are back
No magic there, just a brand new DP9.02 search feature!
Need to get used to it, though...
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:• I love the new clock, sample, bit and buffer menus in the Control Panel. However, the buffer menu is off by one line. That is, when you choose 256, it sets the buffer to 512. Choose 64 and it sets it to 128. 512 becomes 1024. Compare to the Configure Hardware Driver dialog box and you'll find that the buffer listed there is half that of the menu in the control panel.
Does this happen if you use the internal audio as the hardware driver? I'm not seeing it. Perhaps it is an error in one or more CoreAudio drivers rather than DP.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:
Shooshie wrote:• I love the new clock, sample, bit and buffer menus in the Control Panel. However, the buffer menu is off by one line. That is, when you choose 256, it sets the buffer to 512. Choose 64 and it sets it to 128. 512 becomes 1024. Compare to the Configure Hardware Driver dialog box and you'll find that the buffer listed there is half that of the menu in the control panel.
Does this happen if you use the internal audio as the hardware driver? I'm not seeing it. Perhaps it is an error in one or more CoreAudio drivers rather than DP.
I wondered if everyone else would be seeing that one. I think I've only seen it since 9.02, and I haven't changed drivers since the previous version, so it's hard to say whether it's a driver issue or a DP issue, or perhaps a combination.

I'm using the MOTU 896mk3 and my old legacy 1296. It happens whether I use one or the other, or both. I haven't tried internal audio as the configuration, but something tells me this is not a driver issue. Merely rethinking what I just said above — various interfaces, never been a problem before, haven't changed drivers — and one can deduce that the variable at play is probably the new version of DP. Add to it the fact that things are normal in the Hardware Setup dialog, and it points to a programmer laying out his menus one step off. In this instance, it's just the menu in the Control Panel.

But that doesn't explain why you're not seeing it. Hmmm.... back to the drawing board.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Shooshie wrote:However, the buffer menu is off by one line. That is, when you choose 256, it sets the buffer to 512.
Not seeing this here, either. Do you have the Host Buffer Multiplier set to anything other than 1?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:But that doesn't explain why you're not seeing it. Hmmm.... back to the drawing board.
Both of your interfaces use MOTU drivers. I don't use any MOTU interfaces any more.

There seem to be so many issues now that appear for some users and not others. That must make it difficult for the developers reproduce and deal with. E.g., I saw some of the "lane" issues reported by many, but not all of them, and they all disappeared for me on at 9.01, although they persisted for others.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

daniel.sneed wrote:
Shooshie wrote:[...]• I love the new clock, sample, bit and buffer menus in the Control Panel. However, the buffer menu is off by one line. That is, when you choose 256, it sets the buffer to 512. Choose 64 and it sets it to 128. 512 becomes 1024. Compare to the Configure Hardware Driver dialog box and you'll find that the buffer listed there is half that of the menu in the control panel. [...]
Well... Stunning! Would that explain why 4096 buffer value is NOT present in Control Panel, while it DOES appear in Configure Hardware Driver dialog box?
I hadn't noticed the 4096 business until reading this and I can confirm that it is there in my install. But what is not their is a discrepancy between what the control panel says about the buffers settings. If I set 64 in the CP it shows in the Config H/W Driver dialog box and vice versa.

I am not using a MOTU audio interface - just my 11 Rack.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Shooshie wrote: • In the MIDI Edit Window, "Lines Mode" is all screwed up. At least, it was when I tried it a few weeks ago. I haven't tried i recently, and I'm not sure whether it was a previous version or 9.02, so i need to try that again. Basically, it won't accept new control points by merely clicking on the line. When you finally coerce it into taking some control points, they won't edit the way they are supposed to. Again, I need to look this one up again and see if it's still broken in 9.02.

That's all I can think of for now. Will add more as I remember or find them.

Shooshie
Lines mode here is messed up as you say so you're not alone. At least it doesn't do what would happen every once in a while in my other daw where the automation lines would go backwards in time; IOW it would look like a large 'Z'.

Let me add one to the list:
Random reassignment of MIDI track outputs to other vi's in the project, especially if not all MIDI tracks were assigned at that point in time. This is one of those that is inconsistent on happening so a recipe that re-creates it is nigh on impossible (and it's not pilot error). Techlink raised on this but MOTU hasn't been able to re-create it yet.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

One of the most irritating DP9.02 bugs I have is that, everytime I open a project, i.e., after recovering from one of the NUMEROUS crashes, is that EVERY SINGLE TIME my mixer includes ALL my VI-Rack instruments, and I must manually unselect them all every time.
Very annoying....

Anyone else is seeing this? And this happened in the original build of DP9.02 as well.

DP nine has the potential and feels like it could be the best version ever. All they have to do is iron out the numerous little bugs. That's why it's so frustrating.

No more new features, please. Fix what we have! :unicorn:

Lines mode is just fine here, by the way. Weird... It's almost like we are using diffent programs!
Different sets of bugs for different users :smash:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

All our old files, that had been saved with the a lone mixer window in front of a consolidated window ALWAYS one with the consolidated window in from of the mixer, prohibiting seeing the mixer.

Motu knows about this since 9.01
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

FMiguelez wrote:One of the most irritating DP9.02 bugs I have is that, everytime I open a project, i.e., after recovering from one of the NUMEROUS crashes, is that EVERY SINGLE TIME my mixer includes ALL my VI-Rack instruments, and I must manually unselect them all every time.
Very annoying....

Anyone else is seeing this? And this happened in the original build of DP9.02 as well.

DP nine has the potential and feels like it could be the best version ever. All they have to do is iron out the numerous little bugs. That's why it's so frustrating.

No more new features, please. Fix what we have! :unicorn:

Lines mode is just fine here, by the way. Weird... It's almost like we are using diffent programs!
Different sets of bugs for different users :smash:
I don't use V-Racks so haven't run into that issue.

What I think may be part of the reason different people are seeing different bugs/issues is that we're all using different OSX versions. And not just Mavericks vs Yosemite vs El Cap but different sub-versions as well. What I'm trying to get across is I think Apple bears some responsibility in this as well as MOTU.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

musicman691 wrote:What I think may be part of the reason different people are seeing different bugs/issues is that we're all using different OSX versions.
No doubt that is part of it, but I think there are other things behind it. When 9 first came out, there was a very long thread on issues with lanes. People with the same OS update were seeing different things. There was a suggestion that different graphics chip versions could be involved.

One of the reasons for using Macs over PCs was the supposed consistency of experience and not having to worry about which specific CPU, motherboard, graphics card etc you have. That no longer seems to be the case.
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

daniel.sneed wrote:
I am experiencing this as well in 9.02. I assumed it was probably due to my outdated system... Mountain Lion, using 2 aggregate devices...one Motu, the other not.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.