Comments on DP 9.02

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
billf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Comments on DP 9.02

Post by billf »

I've used 9.02 for a couple of projects. I had one issue where DP 9.02 would suddenly freeze in the middle of start up, for no reason I could discern. The usual "fixes" such as trashing prefs had no effect at all, so I had to remove all traces of it and reinstall it from scratch to get it to launch properly. It's done this twice now, so I'm suspicious of it. So I'm back to 8.07.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

csiaudio wrote: I too feel MOTU is more focused on coming out with hardware, Windows versions and are counting on us to be the beta testers.
Very time I see a new audio interface from MOTU, in light of the fact that they have never made a hardware control surface, it pisses me off. In light of the fact that MOTU continually fails to fix their snap shot automation with 3rd party plugs, it pisses me off every time I see a new guitar pedal or synth or other software addition.

They may feel that they are gaining market share by their actions, but somewhere along the line, they may just shoot themselves in the foot by pissing off long term, loyal users.

Lets see what the next DP 9 development is. I am excited about enhanced efficiency, but after that, fix the damn bugs MOTU. And make a control surface so we can get out of the stone ages when mixing. Do all the engineers at MOTU mix with mouses?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

toodamnhip wrote:
csiaudio wrote:Do all the engineers at MOTU mix with mouses?
Those of us who don't are stuck in the stone age with MCU protocol, or Eucon/Avid which never has worked right.

Dude DP doesn't even have a working iPad app.. as far as I know it is the only pro DAW that doesn't. And I don't think a controller from MOTU is forthcoming, if ever. They have never shown any indication that they have any interest in creating dedicated hardware for DP (I've used DP for 26 years).

FWIW, I only have a few minor issues with DP9.. inconvenient, but nothing that stops the work or forces me to go back to DP8. A few months ago, I went deep into my system to remove a bunch of audio related crap, like old embedded protools/Avid/Euphonix files, and sound flower and other drivers. It was complicated and took a couple days.. but holy cow! Most of my DP9 problems disappeared immediately, and it was like running on a brand new, faster computer. I had been having insurmountable problems with DP9, and was ready to go back to DP8, until I did this.

Edit: I realize now you were asking if people at MOTU mixed with mouses.. I misread it to mean all of us here at MOTUNATION.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Well obviously most members at MOTU nation ARE mixing with mouses. That’s because getting any control surface to work with DP, with small exceptions for little controllers such a fader port etc, is a total pain in the ass. You see various posts about home made work arounds..ridiculous. If MOTU believes in their own damn Daw, they should make a professional control surface for it. I think MTU needs a pro mix guy in their upper management and not a guitar player. (Thus all the guitar player pedals).

Their mentality is so obvious.
For example, the TV and film guys MOTU caters to? Well, they mix somewhat, but then they send their mixes as stems to the film mixers who do final mixes, WITH faders...lol...

Now, if MOTU film and tv guys bitched about needing a control surface, maybe MOTU would listen.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

Pulling my hair out today with DP9.02. It's crashed so many times in one day, I made a new avatar to celebrate!
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

LOL I wondered what the new avatar was all about.

Nice one, Tripi.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

toodamnhip wrote:Well obviously most members at MOTU nation ARE mixing with mouses. That’s because getting any control surface to work with DP, with small exceptions for little controllers such a fader port etc, is a total pain in the ass. You see various posts about home made work arounds..ridiculous. If MOTU believes in their own damn Daw, they should make a professional control surface for it. I think MTU needs a pro mix guy in their upper management and not a guitar player. (Thus all the guitar player pedals).

Their mentality is so obvious.
For example, the TV and film guys MOTU caters to? Well, they mix somewhat, but then they send their mixes as stems to the film mixers who do final mixes, WITH faders...lol...

Now, if MOTU film and tv guys bitched about needing a control surface, maybe MOTU would listen.
While on the surface having MOTU do a control surface think about this: to be economically viable it would have to be usable across the daw spectrum and not just DP. This is where Avid shot themselves in the foot with the Icon series and Cakewalk did with their surface.

And even if I had a surface I'd still be reaching for the mouse or trackball a lot, especially when doing MIDI editing. Imagine trying to select notes from a touch screen and not possible from a Mackie-type surface.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Just had an ugly one reappear on 9.02. A few months back I posted in a thread about DP forgetting things and in another thread about MIDI track outputs getting scrambled. Well I had a combo of the two happen today. 26 MIDI tracks feeding 13 instances of East West Play running their EWQLSO Gold library. This time all MIDI tracks were assigned but a number of them came up scrambled feeding Play instances they weren't meant to. The only tracks I hadn't yet assigned were the timpani tracks. And those came up assigned to my Moog Voyager rack mount h/w synth when they were previously unassigned.

Ordinarily one-offs like this I wouldn't sweat but seeing as how others are having issues I thought I'd let others know.
csiaudio
Location: Indiana; Where the corn is tall and the women are wide!

Post by csiaudio »

toodamnhip wrote:
csiaudio wrote: I too feel MOTU is more focused on coming out with hardware, Windows versions and are counting on us to be the beta testers.
Very time I see a new audio interface from MOTU, in light of the fact that they have never made a hardware control surface, it pisses me off. In light of the fact that MOTU continually fails to fix their snap shot automation with 3rd party plugs, it pisses me off every time I see a new guitar pedal or synth or other software addition.

They may feel that they are gaining market share by their actions, but somewhere along the line, they may just shoot themselves in the foot by pissing off long term, loyal users.

Lets see what the next DP 9 development is. I am excited about enhanced efficiency, but after that, fix the damn bugs MOTU. And make a control surface so we can get out of the stone ages when mixing. Do all the engineers at MOTU mix with mouses?
There are so many issues with DP9 that I won't upgrade not only that but for $200 upgrade fee what do you really get that's worth while?? But what blows me a way is how in the world did DP win DAW of the year!? Sorry I've supported this DAW for probably 20 years but DAW of the year...I just don't see it!
Capturing the Colors of Sound!

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
billf

Post by billf »

toodamnhip wrote:If MOTU believes in their own damn Daw, they should make a professional control surface for it.
At this point I would settle for an iPad DP controller update from MOTU.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

And for some of us it just purrs along. Personally, I limit the plugs that are running to a large degree and since I removed all Waves plugs things are quite smooth. Makes ya think...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:And for some of us it just purrs along. Personally, I limit the plugs that are running to a large degree and since I removed all Waves plugs things are quite smooth. Makes ya think...
YMMV seems to get more and more true over time. I have few problems with V9.02, and haven't had any problems with Waves 9.2. OS X 10.11 was a disaster. I have to agree that as a major upgrade, DP 9 was a bit weak. Looking forward to the next update with CPU improvements.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

DP X is going to rock! :unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

FWIW... Motu emailed me today to confirm they know about VEP bugs in DP9, and they have an update coming soon. I then offered to be a "real" beta tester for them, and got nothin'
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Hey MLC. Does purring along mean you solved the disappearing files issue that had plagued you?
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.