Going back to 8.07 from 9.02

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Going back to 8.07 from 9.02

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote:
waterstrum wrote:Love 'em or hate 'em, they are the standard of the industry.
Industry standards mean nothing to me. DP isn't the industry standard
So true. OS X isn't an industry standard either, except for a few minor niche segments.
That said, I like a lot of Waves plugins despite the company called Waves.

It would so great if all the companies producing audio software could play together nicely, but we have the relentless pursuit of "competitive advantage" to make sure that will never happen.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

So sorry to hear about people having problems with Waves plugs. I'm having none, maybe I just got a "decent batch". I agree with the post about VE Pro...I bought it, used it for about a month, then took it off my system. Too much of a PITA to set up.

I did notice a number of posts about problems in conjunction with El Crapitan (sorry, El "Capitan").
I'm still on Yosemite, no plans to go to El Crap. It's an "in-between" O.S. as far as I'm concerned..I believe that Yosemite fixed what was broken in Mavericks, Mountain Lion fixed what sucked in Lion, Snow Leopard fixed Leopard, etc. So the next O.S. ("Shasta"?) will likely be the "working" version of El Capitan.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Topo »

How I long for the stable days of DP7 & Snow Lep.....but time marches on and crashing happens. How disappointing :o( I never used to have *any* crashes. Such a terrible sinking feeling when you're immersed in creative mode and have to totally change your mindset and deal with rebuilding a track, or whatever, after a crash. This is seriously unacceptable.

I've called MOTU. Particularly about the bugs in volume automation. I no longer get any more responses from the tech link. Bummer....I'd really hate to jump ship to another DAW, but that is definitely a consideration now.
Clevelandrawks wrote: So I suppose DP9 is out of my arsenal for a while until they fix any bugs. It's tough not being able to follow the latest updates in DP. I have been loyal since V.4.
Sorry for the rant.
i7 2.93ghz iMac SSD & 16gb•DP7.2/9•StudioLive1642•Joe Meek 3Q•ADK Humburg T-67•ADK Vienna•Rode NT2•Taylor GS Koa limited•'71 Gibson Hummingbird•Fender Strat Plus w/lace sensors•Fender P bass•JBL 2325's•MOTU microlite•Tascam DAT•Alesis QS8•Yamaha U3•Ravenscroft 275 VI•Nord Piano•Specialized Stumpjumper Elite
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Patience is in order at times like these. MOTU is aware of some really bad issues in DP9, such as the fiasco of editing Lines Mode control points in any editor, or the mysterious disappearance of tracks when you accidentally hit TAB, then the next few keys that follow, which invokes the edit window search feature, after which it searches tracks for the next keys you type. Not finding any, it displays no results, Null & Void. To get your tracks back, you have to type ESCAPE, then physically click elsewhere to get the cursor out of the search field. Then your tracks come back.

MOTU is aware of these things and many others, and they are at work on them. With a little luck, they'll nail these things first-try, and we'll get a kick-ass DAW out of the deal. I'm sure someone will be disappointed to find that their pet bug has been put off until next round, but I think the major showstoppers will be fixed. And we all know what DP is like when it's fixed!

(There's nothing like it in the DAW world!)

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

David Polich wrote:So sorry to hear about people having problems with Waves plugs. I'm having none, maybe I just got a "decent batch". I agree with the post about VE Pro...I bought it, used it for about a month, then took it off my system. Too much of a PITA to set up.

I did notice a number of posts about problems in conjunction with El Crapitan (sorry, El "Capitan").
I'm still on Yosemite, no plans to go to El Crap. It's an "in-between" O.S. as far as I'm concerned..I believe that Yosemite fixed what was broken in Mavericks, Mountain Lion fixed what sucked in Lion, Snow Leopard fixed Leopard, etc. So the next O.S. ("Shasta"?) will likely be the "working" version of El Capitan.
When any member here states they are having “no problems” with Waves plug ins, it is important that they indicate or understand that they must be using the Waves plug ins fully, meaning full snap shot automation, copy and paste into plug ins on the fly with automation and before snap shots, regular automation, mute automation etc. In addition, it is proven that Waves numerology is incorrect in the SE window, meaning that if an EQ shows 5.3 hz, the number will be some whacky # in the SE window.
So again, utilize snap shot automation FULLY; utilize copy and paste automation FULLY. Load a waves pre set into the plug in and make a snap shot and watch it NOT keep those settings. I have verified these issues with numerous users and Waves.
I have yet to truly here ONE member here utilize Waves with the aforementioned requirements successfully and would argue that your Waves is NOT working properly.
Of course, if you’d like to bring up an EQ, set it and forget it, well, yes, that works. If you’d like to automate the EQ after that by going into record automate mode and then grab a parameter and have it play back, yes, that works. But those are only a few aspects of the overall features available. And, in addition to waves, try copy and paste automate and snap shot with other 3rd party plugs and you will see the same problems, sometimes consistently, sometimes not.

But for the egg heads at MOTU that seem continually lost at fixing these problems, it is important one does not report “no problems” without a thorough tour through all features of automation.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Shooshie wrote:Patience is in order at times like these. MOTU is aware of some really bad issues in DP9, such as the fiasco of editing Lines Mode control points in any editor, or the mysterious disappearance of tracks when you accidentally hit TAB, then the next few keys that follow, which invokes the edit window search feature, after which it searches tracks for the next keys you type. Not finding any, it displays no results, Null & Void. To get your tracks back, you have to type ESCAPE, then physically click elsewhere to get the cursor out of the search field. Then your tracks come back.

MOTU is aware of these things and many others, and they are at work on them. With a little luck, they'll nail these things first-try, and we'll get a kick-ass DAW out of the deal. I'm sure someone will be disappointed to find that their pet bug has been put off until next round, but I think the major showstoppers will be fixed. And we all know what DP is like when it's fixed!

(There's nothing like it in the DAW world!)

Shooshie
One would HOPE you are right. But then comes the alarming stories of zero response to tech links, and/or, Motu reps stating to individuals that they have never heard of long standing issues.
Then one hears of stories of individuals throughout the the years offering to help MOTU beta test to no avail.
Sorry brotha, I agree with you on being patient, but I am not optimistic at all that MOTU has snap shot and mute automation issues on their radar. I am guessing there is a 50/50 chance that mute automation will be corrected as that is so ridiculous as to be un avoidable. But the rest, I wonder.
And now, back to DP8 to finish my mix that refuses to correctly chase automation in DP 9 where I started it.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

In another thread I posted that I don't use snapshot automation, so perhaps that disqualifies me from posting on this thread.

But I'll post anyway... :lol:

Frankly I don't think this is MOTU's fault. The fault lies with Waves and their our crap-doesn't-stink attitude. They have NEVER been very responsive to issues with DAW's, especially DP. I'd be writing or calling Waves about this. Have you?
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Well if THAT disqualifies you then my not having ANY Waves products on my machine clearly disqualifies me. That said, my Mac has been pretty trouble free since pitching Waves. Current DP version working near perfectly. One random crash in about 4 months. That's a pretty stable system IMO.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

David Polich wrote:Frankly I don't think this is MOTU's fault. The fault lies with Waves and their our crap-doesn't-stink attitude. They have NEVER been very responsive to issues with DAW's, especially DP. I'd be writing or calling Waves about this. Have you?
Except, my Waves plugins, all version 9.2, do work with DP 8.07, and don't work completely with 9.02. That suggests it's not due to anything Waves did, and is due to something that changed from 8.07 to 9.02. Of course, it's possible that the change is still something that is supported by VST 2.4 or AU specs, but it's still not clear who needs to fix it, and that it's not both that need to fix it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

David Polich wrote:In another thread I posted that I don't use snapshot automation, so perhaps that disqualifies me from posting on this thread.

But I'll post anyway... :lol:

Frankly I don't think this is MOTU's fault. The fault lies with Waves and their our crap-doesn't-stink attitude. They have NEVER been very responsive to issues with DAW's, especially DP. I'd be writing or calling Waves about this. Have you?
Snap shot is messed up on a variety of plugs, not just Waves. I know Waves very well, and all I can say is that it’s a MOTU issue, that’s all I can tell you. Believe me or don’t.

Listen folks, the test of a DAW is NOT whether it can runs it;s own plug ins perfectly. This is unrealistic.
If DP made great VIs, then Mach 5 would be the industry standard, it is not.. Kontakt is. (By the way, some of the worst sticking of MIDI notes I have seen comes from Mach 5).
Same with plug ins. If Waves was some newbie co. that DP had issues with, and ALL OTHER plug ins snap shotted correctly, then you’d have a point. But again, not reality. Id love to hear from UA users how snap shot works. Before long, you’d all be lobbying for ALL plug ins to be the “culprit", with only MOTU plugs being worth a fix. Not reality. I dont care who uses what plug in. Any DAW is supposed to be a central host for what ever the heck is out there that is established, professional product. If Waves is not that, then nothing is. Sp please folks, stop the debate about Waves. This is not a debate about Waves. Try snap shot and automation features on other companies plug ins. This is a universal issue with some plug ins working better than others, but general disastrous results when using snap shot and various other automation features.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13