Going back to 8.07 from 9.02

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Clevelandrawks
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Going back to 8.07 from 9.02

Post by Clevelandrawks »

For a while DP 9 worked pretty well with ElCap. Then when i updated to 9.02 and OSX 10.11.3, all heck broke loose. Crashes every 2 minutes and not the same way twice. Once while importing audio. Another while dragging audio from a soundbite file to the sequence window. And other times when in the midst of a mix or bounce. I have reinstalled, trashed preferences, Made sure permissions were in order. Still the same results.

I finally just reverted back to DP 8.07 and everything has been stable and no crashes. So I suppose DP9 is out of my arsenal for a while until they fix any bugs. It's tough not being able to follow the latest updates in DP. I have been loyal since V.4. But now finding myself scoring in DP and doing sound design and editing in PT 11.

Sorry for the rant.
MAC pro quad-core, 32GB memory, OS X 10.11.3, DP 9.01, Protools 11.3, Logic Pro X, REAPER, RX5, Altiverb-7, Speakerphone 2 and WAVElab 8. 10TB of raid, plugs, plugs and more plugs.
mikehalloran

Re: Going back to 8.07 from 9.02

Post by mikehalloran »

Are there crash reports?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

mikehalloran wrote:Are there crash reports?
I've been experiencing the same thing. DP 9.02 (latest build) is an utter DISASTER here! Comparable to DP6...

Worst part, since I updated DP9's build, I don't even get a crash report anymore. I used to at least get a MOTU crash report which got sent to them automatically. Not anymore. I just get taken out of DP like poof!. No explanation, no nothing. And it occurs randomly, from adjusting a fade, to importing audio, to running a VI.

MOTU's own MachFive? FORGET it! Unusable. Next week I'll have to get Falcon. I can't work like this.

Oh, and if MOTU doesn't fix this train wreck of version soon, I'll have to go back to DP8. Too bad, since there are a few things I really like about 9 :shake:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Smooth and stable here including MachFive.

What does the Background Processing Window say? That is how I found the problem when I had the same issues in DP 7.24. 7.01 was great, 7.12 was all over the place and 7.24 crashed without warning. It was in the 7.12 BPW window that I found the issue. It took awhile before I figured out the solution but I did.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

DP 9.02 69119 (which I think is the earlier release) is fine here on a test partition, but my regular set up is still on 9.01, which is also fine. Both are on OS X.10.5.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

mikehalloran wrote:Smooth and stable here including MachFive.

What does the Background Processing Window say? That is how I found the problem when I had the same issues in DP 7.24. 7.01 was great, 7.12 was all over the place and 7.24 crashed without warning. It was in the 7.12 BPW window that I found the issue. It took awhile before I figured out the solution but I did.
I have it set to automatically open when it's active. And I only see it after processing audio off-line and sometimes right after I press stop after recording a take. Also when I import audio. All that is normal.

Other than that, it never seems to be doing something.
Should I keep it opened to observe it?

Were your problems related to it showing DP working unnecessarily on certain tasks? Or was it continuously trying to re-import or process stuff in real time, or similar?
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Clevelandrawks

Post by Clevelandrawks »

mikehalloran wrote:Are there crash reports?
Yes. There were at first and I kept writing to MOTU each time in the "message" block about how it crashed each time. I got 3 reports and responded to all of them. Then they stopped. No more crash reports in DP9. And unfortunately I didn't save any of them as they happened. If they are stored somewhere on the Mac, where would they be?

I opened the "background processing window" and see no activity while running DP9.02. However the "processing" meter is flashing wildly from "0" to "red" overload. But I am running the hardware at 1024 and having to deal with huge latency issues. DP8.07 running at 512 in the same project barely moves the meter at all.

And with having to produce finished projects shortly for clients, I really can't waste time forcing it to crash and possibly loosing data. So..... Stick with 8.07 for now
MAC pro quad-core, 32GB memory, OS X 10.11.3, DP 9.01, Protools 11.3, Logic Pro X, REAPER, RX5, Altiverb-7, Speakerphone 2 and WAVElab 8. 10TB of raid, plugs, plugs and more plugs.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Some of my most troubling crashes happen when DP autosaves. It will give me the beach ball from hell, quit DP, and CORRUPT the last auto saved copy.

I have autosave to do it every 6 minutes and keep the latest 10 copies, but the autosave list never shows this. Some times it saves after 6 minutes, but most others, according to the time stamps of the files in the Finder, occur every 20, 30 or even 40 minute gaps of time between them! That can't be good!

So, as you can imagine, I was not happy the other day when this happened...

With this, I get the "End of File" error a lot. And when this happens, the project is NEVER recoverable via the Load command.

I suppose I'll reinstall DP and MachFive... AGAIN...
Or go back to 8.07 (Yay! I'm in the middle of a big project and I've been seriously using DP9's new plugs, like the compressor). I bet doing this will be fun and stress-free and a bump in productivity :smash:

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I've been getting a list of weird things happening in DP9.02. I'm usually the guy for whom everything always works, so either my luck had changed or something is really wonky about DP 9.x. I'll try to list a few of the things that have happened:

• One of the weirdest things is a window suddenly becomes blank. For example, the Sequence Editor pane in the Consolidated Windows will suddenly disappear. The frame is still there, blank, but the window is not, except that you can see bits and pieces of it scattered around OTHER panes in the CW. It took a while to find a way to bring it back without having to quit. Finally I discovered that double clicking on the currently open chunk's name in the Chunks Window will bring it back.

• I've had trouble with editor windows opening to another chunk (not currently active), and sometimes it's quite a puzzler getting it back to the correct chunk's window. We had a similar problem back in version 5 or 6, but it was more subtle.

• A rainbow wheel of death spun for 10 minutes before I finally realized that it wasn't going to come back, and my artist was waiting with her voice getting more and more raspy, so I finally force-quit. Then I found that the entire Mac was funky, and it ultimately required a forced-restart of the Mac. That was a good 15 minutes wasted. I suspect it originated during an Auto-Save.

• On another occasion I must have tapped the mouse in a search field, and for a little while I thought DP had frozen up, but it was just showing me a results window of zero results for whatever (probably nothing) that it was looking for. I like the new search fields, but that WAS a little strange for behavior.

• I had a total lock-up when looking for a preset for the MOTU Plate Reverb, but I realize that I was using the MAS version, and I think I've been using AU or VST in the past. Not sure about any of that except the part where it locked up while I was messing around in the preset menu. When DP rebooted, it had to re-read every single plugin while in the splash screen.

• There have been more. I've been getting a LOT of pops and clicks, which I think have not gone to disk, thankfully, but they make the artist think that they're in the recording, so I'm constantly reassuring that the recording will be clean (while keeping my fingers crossed that nothing has happened to that sacred space)..

• Control Panel sometimes disappears when I switch to and from CueMix to shut off my talkback mic. (and don't get me started on CueMix! Especially the part about talkback mics!!!) The menu for opening Control Panel would not bring it back. Switching to various windows, as well as back and forth to CueMix finally brought back the Control Panel. Sorry that I can't remember the exact one that did the trick. It happened several times, but the first time was the only one that seemed like it wasn't going to come back. Afterward, it would come back with minimal fiddling.

There are more... I just can't think of them right now.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Long term waveform re draw issue.
After recording a take, I cannot do any edits, (such as a crossfade) and it often shows black bars.
This resolves by:
1) recording and un doing on a previous take, at which point DP wakes up and re draws and allows edits.
2) A good deal of time goes by and DP eventually renders the waveform.

Many other issues but Ive listed before, worst of which is snap shot automation and plug in copy and paste.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Clevelandrawks

Post by Clevelandrawks »

FMiguelez wrote:Some of my most troubling crashes happen when DP autosaves. It will give me the beach ball from hell, quit DP, and CORRUPT the last auto saved copy.
This was also one of my crash scenarios to FM. I turned off auto-saves. But then other issues came up and different reasons for crashing.

As I said earlier in my OP. I have completely bagged DP9 in favor of 8.07. Too bad, because there were some new features in v.9 I liked. But not worth the crashes and delays in client deadlines for a plug or two. Which i have by way of other means.

http://www.suiteaudiosounddesign.com/#! ... ment/c1929

What I don't get, and MOTU isn't the only culprit here, is why would any developer release a new version that is less stable than the previous version? Especially when there are new operating systems to be conscious of nearly every month. Always puzzling.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I can be sympathetic that developers have to keep pace with Apple releasing new OS's with such frequency. And Apple has not been (IMHO) very thorough about making their releases better-than-the-last.

MOTU can be forgiven for directing resources toward adding new features. And it must be difficult to stress-test a version under all circumstances. We have power-users here who have been giving it the "all clear" for a while now.

As we often say here, it would be nice to see Apple take a pause on the OS releases, and really let their development team catch up on making El Cap ship-shape. Then also, MOTU and other developers could take some time both to get everything bug-free and go back and clean-up lingering things.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Clevelandrawks

Post by Clevelandrawks »

stubbsonic wrote:I can be sympathetic that developers have to keep pace with Apple releasing new OS's with such frequency. And Apple has not been (IMHO) very thorough about making their releases better-than-the-last.

MOTU can be forgiven for directing resources toward adding new features. And it must be difficult to stress-test a version under all circumstances. We have power-users here who have been giving it the "all clear" for a while now.

As we often say here, it would be nice to see Apple take a pause on the OS releases, and really let their development team catch up on making El Cap ship-shape. Then also, MOTU and other developers could take some time both to get everything bug-free and go back and clean-up lingering things.

I agree 100%
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Mmmmmmmm Just about to update to 9 and el capitian, and I've read this thread.... :(

I can't update for another few weeks, so I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread and any others.
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

... and you could give me that long-overdue 'phone call while you're waiting for this to play out, Mark! LOL

Hope all's well with the missus and your beloved Opals. :wink:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here