Going back to 8.07 from 9.02

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Going back to 8.07 from 9.02

Post by toodamnhip »

Clevelandrawks wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:Some of my most troubling crashes happen when DP autosaves. It will give me the beach ball from hell, quit DP, and CORRUPT the last auto saved copy.
This was also one of my crash scenarios to FM. I turned off auto-saves. But then other issues came up and different reasons for crashing.

As I said earlier in my OP. I have completely bagged DP9 in favor of 8.07. Too bad, because there were some new features in v.9 I liked. But not worth the crashes and delays in client deadlines for a plug or two. Which i have by way of other means.

http://www.suiteaudiosounddesign.com/#! ... ment/c1929

What I don't get, and MOTU isn't the only culprit here, is why would any developer release a new version that is less stable than the previous version? Especially when there are new operating systems to be conscious of nearly every month. Always puzzling.
Insufficiently large beta test team. Turned down too many good people who have offered. I myself cannot get MOTU to let me help them resolve their waves automation issues. If they wish to turn down help as if they have things under control, that is fine. But then back that viewpoint up with a solid release right?
I don;t remember all of the bugs in DP9 but I remember some really dumb ones like they new automation lanes being unusable such that you could NOT grab notes in them or edit in them..ridiculous issues that should not have been released. Now, when I automate, I have to manually enter in every parameter of any non-motu plug in. This bug has been around for at least a year and a half, if not more. Lots of good things about DP, the companies open-ness to help has not been one of their strengths.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
BatBoySings

Post by BatBoySings »

I'm in the same smelly boat. But I had never installed 8.07 on my new MacBook Pro, just 9.02. Uh oh.

So now El Capitan 10.11.3 + DP 9.02 = stutters, freezes and death ball. Especially when saving or resizing the Consolidated Window.

I think a few weeks ago I tried to install 8.07, after already having 9, and my computer just kind of ignored me. I shrugged and decided to make the best of 9.02, but here we are.

So is there any way to install 8.07 without uninstalling 9.02? I think I know the answer. If I have to uninstall 9, what's the best and safest way to do it?
2020 MBPro, DP 10.13, UAD Apollo Twin Duo MkII, VEPro 7, and a mouse who chews my cables
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

monkey man wrote:... and you could give me that long-overdue 'phone call while you're waiting for this to play out, Mark! LOL

Hope all's well with the missus and your beloved Opals. :wink:
I've tried, you never answer :(
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
Dave Connor

Post by Dave Connor »

Back to DP 8.07 here too. Had to use DP 9 on a studio computer for a composer I was just working with (Mac Pro 8 Core; Yosemite.) Audio engine would quit, 'solo front window' worse than ever (not working) problems with VE Pro and lots of other unstable glitchy behavior.

Installed it on my home computer (12 core Mac Pro; OSX 10.8.5) and encountered similar and other problems with VE Pro impossible to use with stuck notes everywhere.

I'm surprised MOTU ever released this version.
2012 Mac Pro 12 Core, OS 10.8.5, 64 gigs ram; 2408 (3), 308, DP 8.07 http://www.daveconnor.net
Clevelandrawks

Post by Clevelandrawks »

Whew! i hear all your pain from every post. I had no idea I would strike such a nerve with this thread. Since my OP, 8.07 on 10.11.3 is working nearly flawlessly. Only had one crash on a large project over three weeks. And I think it's mouse related. I have an older logitech M310. But with current drivers for OS X ElCap. Sometimes DP 8.07 will crash if I accidentally press left and right mouse clicks at the same time. Just letting my hands get too far ahead of the GUI i guess. But nothing serious.

I have turned off auto-save however. In favor of my new automated habit of "Command/S function at the end of an edit or recorded track. As that has been a bug since version 6 and it would crash this mac pro nearly every time.

Now, here's an added portion of this thread. I have a long time engineer bud in Austin who is insistent about using a DAW but retaining the best of analog micing and recorded instruments. We both worked with the Trident "A" series to a Studer 2" analog machine back in the day. He moved from a Mac to a special built PC about 4 years ago and installed Steinberg Nuendo. And he loves the audio engine. Then he referred a client to me to add some string parts to an album project but it needed to stay in Steinberg Cubase. So I was faced with loading up Cubase Artist 8.5 $299.00 for the full version. turns out that the band is coughing up $200 up front to purchase Cubase. So I did. I load it up tomorrow. And all my other DP buds say I'll never go back after using Cubase and Logic Pro. Cubase now uses the same audio engine as Nuendo. This, of course remains to be seen and heard. But...... May be worth another thread on a future date.

Peace to all. And to all a large piece.
MAC pro quad-core, 32GB memory, OS X 10.11.3, DP 9.01, Protools 11.3, Logic Pro X, REAPER, RX5, Altiverb-7, Speakerphone 2 and WAVElab 8. 10TB of raid, plugs, plugs and more plugs.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

All working very well her too. Looking at your sig what stands out is " plugs, plugs and more plugs." I'd start debugging your system by disabling all plugs, checking to make sure they all passed DP and that all the updates have been applied, and for any plugs for which updates have not been made to El Cap, disable them until the update arrives (or give them up for dead).

As your problem seems fairly unique and many are using El Cap and DP 9.xx w/o incident, the culprit may well be in your system/audio/plugins folder(s); or stay at 8.07 if you prefer.

And yes, I see the others reporting similar issues, but each case is going to have different variables which should be specifically stated in full. I don't have any other helpful suggestions aside from disabling plugs. Waves has always been problematic on any system I've ever owned (back as far as I can remember). It was the first plug to go on my stem and since deleting all things Waves my system has been purring along.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Dave Connor

Post by Dave Connor »

The studio machine I worked on could not be more bare bones. I don't know if there is a single plugin installed except VE and Kontakt. Two different machines, two different OS's and problems everywhere. DP being glitchy and not behaving is not unusual going back a good while. It's just that it's moved into show-stopping behavior. People have been talking about the audio quitting in DP9. Try working in a professional studio on a major motion picture with that kind of thing going on. I no longer consider it a professional piece of software.
2012 Mac Pro 12 Core, OS 10.8.5, 64 gigs ram; 2408 (3), 308, DP 8.07 http://www.daveconnor.net
MIDI Life Crisis

At the risk of being o early simplistic, have you repaired permissions and run scheduled routines, checked the health of your 10TB drives, etc?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Dave Connor

Post by Dave Connor »

There's a thread dedicated to the audio engine quitting on another forum so it's not likely an anomaly. But that's just one issue (although a huge show-stopper.)
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Dave Connor wrote:There's a thread dedicated to the audio engine quitting on another forum so it's not likely an anomaly.
That doesn't tell anyone anything, unfortunately. Since MAS permissions get fixed, it's a good idea to repair them in Terminal.

DP 9.02 is running great here. No crashes. Interestingly, it seems to load faster in 10.11.4. Logic Pro X 10.2 loads a lot faster in the new OS—that is easy to see.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Dave Connor

Post by Dave Connor »

mikehalloran wrote:
Dave Connor wrote:There's a thread dedicated to the audio engine quitting on another forum so it's not likely an anomaly.
That doesn't tell anyone anything, unfortunately. Since MAS permissions get fixed, it's a good idea to repair them in Terminal.

DP 9.02 is running great here. No crashes. Interestingly, it seems to load faster in 10.11.4. Logic Pro X 10.2 loads a lot faster in the new OS—that is easy to see.
It tells everyone that's having the identical problem they're not alone. Just imagine the audio engine quitting on you like clockwork. It's a known issue and I can't imagine that pros aren't repairing permissions on their CPU. Plus it's only one of many issues. The program is buggy and and unusable on two separate computers in my case alone. That's 100% in unrelated cases.
MIDI Life Crisis

And still many are working fine.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Dave Connor wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:

It tells everyone that's having the identical problem they're not alone. Just imagine the audio engine quitting on you like clockwork. It's a known issue and I can't imagine that pros aren't repairing permissions on their CPU. Plus it's only one of many issues. The program is buggy and and unusable on two separate computers in my case alone. That's 100% in unrelated cases.
unless you have the same third party plug, shareware, freeware utility or old file causing the same problem on both.

Open Console and see what happens when it crashes. One time, I found Finale 2009 help files trying to load; another time, the crash was caused by a 2005 HP utility. Then there were problems caused by a .kxt that installed with CD Spin Doctor X.

There are ways to see what is going on. The audio engine doesn't just crash.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

We went through a period like this around version 4.5 about 10 years ago. It reached a fevered pitch with people defecting to other platforms and saying they'd never return. That was when I created the database, got about 50 people to participate, and we listed ALL our plugins, drivers, hardware, and relevant software, along with our operating systems, and anything else I could think of. Once the sample was acquired, the results came in definitively: a specific MOTU driver. I had never had a single problem, but I was using the previous driver. When I sent a copy of my driver out to everyone who wanted it, the problems stopped. Bam!

I don't have the time or energy to do another database project (though I'd furnish the old one to anyone who wanted to do the collecting of data, and I'd participate), but it may take something like that to find the offending factor. It took me several weeks to get enough of a data sample to feel like I could make a diagnosis.

This isn't JUST a DP bug, because some people are working relatively problem-free. This is another combo issue. Find the offending factor and remove it, and the bugs will stop. (this is rocket science, not voodoo) Rather than unproductively complaining on forums, why don't a few folks with some time get busy and see if they can track this down? It takes Microsoft Excel for whoever runs the database.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Dave Connor

Post by Dave Connor »

Shooshie, One can assume that everything you said is basically understood by people that have been using DP for decades (as far as solving the problems etc.) And if people like myself who generally don't complain are complaining it doesn't mean it's not objective in nature. There were so many complaints here about DP9 initially that I avoided it (which I would in any case with a new piece of unproven software that could potentially harm my ability to deliver professionally.) In this case I had no choice because I had to use it on a studio computer I do not own. The fact that it was trouble up and down while introducing something I've never heard of happening in DP: the audio quitting - was quite something to deal with. A problem that huge being experienced by the professional community: if that doesn't warrant a complaint what does? In fact, what else can you do? Try and fix it in the middle of film project? The fact that you would have to do that; to make DP work on the most basic level when it won't on a very strait forward system is again a bit much.

People here should consider that someone who rarely if ever complains does, warrants criticism on that rare occasion. The fact that it's working for some people and causing numerous others (pros) to peel back to an earlier version obviously means there are valid issues with the program. Believe you me - everyone at MOTU who can read knows.