Intrapplication MIDI problem (IAC/DP Input )

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
diguida75
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Intrapplication MIDI problem (IAC/DP Input )

Post by diguida75 »

Hi guys,
I'm thinking about the big jump from Logic to DP9 and in the last few days I'm try to work with the demo version....
The program seem like very nice with a great usability and precision with automations and all that I need form my work of composer for multimedia...
I have found two problems:
1) (solved but i don't know if there is a better solution) with the audio clock during precount (it "lost" a beat on the last precount movement before start playing/record)...
I've solved it by switching to MIDI click and send it to Apple Soft Synth. It seems to work fine.
2) More critical for me: INTERAPPLICATION MIDI:
When i send some MIDI notes to a MIDI track via IAC or Dp input, from any another application, and then send the MIDI events to a software instrument, I hear only the first note...the other ora "mute"....
In the MIDI monitor all seems to be ok and if I try to record the events, all seems to be ok...
But I need that the notes are "live" eared because I now use Sibelius to write some parts and play the software instruments loaded in Logic.
I noticed that the problem occurs when there are repeated notes: I hear only the first note: ...

Please help me!
I think if I solve this problem, I'll made the big jump after 15 years on Logic / Pro Tools.

:)
Luigi di Guida
Film&Game Composer

Via S. Ciro, 43
80069 - Vico Equense (NA)
ITALY
Ph./Fax.: 081.191.43.165 - +39 081 009 28 67
Mob. Ph.: 333.89.08.054
www.luigidiguida.it
info@luigidiguida.it
Shooshie

Re: Intrapplication MIDI problem (IAC/DP Input )

Post by Shooshie »

Hi, I notice that you posted this a month ago, but never got a response. While I can't say that I know the answers, maybe bumping this up so it gets seen again will get you a response from someone who has experienced something similar.

Good luck solving the problem,
Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

diguida75 wrote: I noticed that the problem occurs when there are repeated notes: I hear only the first note: ...
This is a common problem with repeated notes whose durations touch or overlap. The easiest solution is to use the "Change Durations" command to shorten the repeated notes by a few ticks. Sorry about the late response and hope you are still enjoying DP.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Cuttime has the correct answer. But I'll suggest instead of using Change Durations to just shorten the notes so they don't overlap, use the drop down menu in the Change Durations window to choose "Move releases" and let the command move them "to the closest attack". That will result in a fully legato phrase. This works better in cases where the overlap varies a lot.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8