DP8 Core Audio problems with El Capitan

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
tunemeister
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP8 Core Audio problems with El Capitan

Post by tunemeister »

Hi folks. Newbie here. I am running DP8 with core audio on a Mac mini (late 2012) recently updated to El Capitan. I have 16 GB, and use 24 bits with DP8.

Everything worked smoothly for several weeks. Suddenly DP8 no longer accesses core audio for input. Ok with output. Other DAWs are working perfectly. I re-installed DP8. Same problem. I use core audio as opposed to another audio system because what I create gets redone in a professional digital studio environment.

Is there a recent core audio driver for DP8 with El Capitan? What I found didn't mention DP8.

I am not tech sophisticated, just doggedly determined. Any thoughts? Your help is much appreciated!
stubbsonic

Re: DP8 Core Audio problems with El Capitan

Post by stubbsonic »

Just to double check that you've set this up...

Setup menu/Configure Audio System.../configure hardware driver.../

You might need to set up the chosen device in AudioMIDI setup to make sure everything is good there. Double check sample rates, etc.

Not sure what else. I do know that sometimes DP will auto-select the AirPlay device when it doesn't have a preference file.

Good luck.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I do most of my work in CoreAudio, switching to my MOTU interface only when tracking in the studio.

Go through the setup to make certain it is correct. It's easy to hit something accidentally that changes everything.

I had a weird CoreAudio issue of my own. About a month ago, I opened my test project—I keep one that I use to check new features, bugs, problems, plugin demos etc. I noticed that the panning was reversed. ??? It wasn't DP. I knew that so I wondered if my new Radial monitor controller was wired backwards. I plugged in my old Behringer and it was the same... What the?

I went through everything and CoreAudio output was reversed. Not finding the problem even after unplugging, resetting the NV RAM and rebooting, I gave up and reversed the output in System Preferences. OK... moving on.

Then a few days ago, I was listening to a live Who track and heard John Entwhistle's bass coming out of the left speaker. Huh?!?!?!? CoreAudio had reset. I went back into System Preferences/Sound and restored the output to the defaults.

The only thing I can think of is that I had updated Logic Pro X to 10.2.1 before the reverse happened and MainStage to its current version last weekend. Could that have caused this? I have no idea but can't think of anything else. So, problem solved—or is it? :smash:
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
tunemeister

Post by tunemeister »

Hi folks. I'm experiencing intermittent problems still with DP8 seeing Core Audio. For a while everything ran smoothly. Suddenly without my doing anything I can think of, DP8 stopped it. I'm running El Capitan 10.11.4 on a Mac Mini (Late 2012) 2.5 Ghz with 10GB memory. The problem occurs no matter how little or much memory I install. I have run through the Set Up with both high and low buffer sizes. I have configured everything to 32 bit float. Interestingly, I am having the same problem with another program Ableton Live which I rarely use. However, I have no problem with a simple program - NCH's Mixpad. Works perfectly for it!

Can the problem be with El Capitan? Don't see any drivers related to this.

I'm bewildered! Any further thoughts from this community are greatly appreciated. Have been using DP since DP2(!!) and this is the first time I've encountered such a strange situation.

Thanks folks.

tunemeister
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

There are no CoreAudio drivers—when something is compliant, it means you don't have to install drivers. There's the Mac OS. No issues with CoreAudio that I know of.

There are programs that can mess with it but they all come from Apple. Besides the OS, there's Logic, MainStage and iTunes. My weirdness corresponded with a Logic update and went back to normal with a MainStage update. Even then, DP has had no problems with it.

You probably need to go through your setup with MOTU. There are many settings that can affect the way that DP behaves. You haven't described your setup nor the specific problem.

I would take a look at the manual and see if the Solo function behaves the way you think it should. Depending what is highlighted, this can really mess up your outputs if you accidently click on the wrong button.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro