New Micro Express device on startup

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
geoffadams
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

New Micro Express device on startup

Post by geoffadams »

Weird problem. Every time I restart my Mac, the MIDI setup window shows a new active MIDI Express device with my other devices not connected and I have to manually reconnect them all to the new MIDI Express device in order to work in DP. Does anybody know about this problem?
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

new Thread: Are we ready for El Capitan?

Post by Shooshie »

This was a problem back in about Leopard, Lion, or thereabouts.
I dealt with it by saving the configuration, then loading it when needed.

Upgrading to a newer OS may also fix it.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
labman

Re: New Micro Express device on startup

Post by labman »

Also make sure battery in unit is good. WE had this problem on one rig which that fixed, for whatever reason! LOL
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Could it be a PRAM problem? I don't know if that info is stored in PRAM or not. If so, a battery could very well solve the problem.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Battery!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
geoffadams

Post by geoffadams »

Thanks for all the responses. You mean there's a battery in the Micro Express?
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

geoffadams wrote:Thanks for all the responses. You mean there's a battery in the Micro Express?
Nope, there's not.

Why did I say the battery? Because those are the exact symptoms of a dead battery in a MOTU MIDI interface.

How did I find out there is no battery in the Micro Express? I just opened mine up, because I've been experiencing the same problem as you.. there's no battery in there.. :wink:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Killahurts wrote:
geoffadams wrote:Thanks for all the responses. You mean there's a battery in the Micro Express?
Nope, there's not.

Why did I say the battery? Because those are the exact symptoms of a dead battery in a MOTU MIDI interface.

How did I find out there is no battery in the Micro Express? I just opened mine up, because I've been experiencing the same problem as you.. there's no battery in there.. :wink:
Does that mean it loads EVERYTHING from files on the computer? It cannot be used without a computer? It seems to me that MOTU makes all these boxes so they will function even if not plugged into a Mac. For that to be the case, there has to be even faint power somewhere, unless they're using some kind of non-volatile memory that will not lose its settings when the power is switched off.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Shooshie wrote:
Killahurts wrote:Nope, there's not.

Does that mean it loads EVERYTHING from files on the computer? It cannot be used without a computer? It seems to me that MOTU makes all these boxes so they will function even if not plugged into a Mac. For that to be the case, there has to be even faint power somewhere, unless they're using some kind of non-volatile memory that will not lose its settings when the power is switched off.
Actually the Fastlane is kind of a brain-dead device- 2 in 2 out (A and B), and USB. If you want to run it without a computer, there is a physical "thru" button, which is the only physical control.

My guess is it may have something to do with a problem getting power from the USB buss, or that the firmware is too old to be "class compliant" with the newer OS's.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Here's the inside. The other side just has solder points.. pretty simple device, really.

magicd

Post by magicd »

Fastlane and micro Express are not the same thing.

Fastlane does not use a battery.

micro Express uses a CR 2032 battery.

When the micro Express is detected by the computer, the computer sends an ID message to the micro, so the computer can identify the micro next time it's plugged in. If the internal battery is dead the micro loses it's ID bite when powered off and the next time the computer sees the interface, it thinks it's a new device and creates a new icon in Audio MIDI Setup.

Dave
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Oh, he did say Micro Express, didn't he? :oops:

I have one of those too, just replaced the battery in the summer..