9.02 Background processing taking long time

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

9.02 Background processing taking long time

Post by toodamnhip »

I am noticing that some files, old ones and even files made WITH 9.02. take a long time to load. When I look into WHY, it seems there is tons of background processing to be done.
Something in 9.02 seems to be needing to do a lot of this background processing. Looks like it is finding beats. But the “beats” were already supposedly found in earlier sessions with these files.
Anyone else seen this phenomenon?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
mikehalloran

Re: 9.02 Background processing taking long time

Post by mikehalloran »

Does this happen every time the project loads or only the first time?

There are a number of background processing preferences. I have checked, Only look for beats automatically in newly created projects
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Even prior to 9.02 I was seeing sample rate errors, where DP would be flashing 44.1 when I loaded certain projects (I'm always in 48k). I select 48 and I'm done and I hadn't seen that much before now. I wonder if there is a conversion going on somewhere? I'll check my background processing next time it happens. I don't see any slowdown. I'm running the latest trash can so if there was a conversion going on in the background, I probably wouldn't see a slowdown in performance.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I noticed this (excessive background processing) the first time I opened an old project created in version 5.something. Subsequent openings opened normally. I'm guessing some things are handled differently and once you open and save, all is up to date and snappy. But, like I said, I'm guessing.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
guitardood

Post by guitardood »

FWIW, I have seen this in projects where I have soundbites in the SoundBite view that are not being used. It seems that every time the project loads, DP reexamines those unused SoundBites.

Chuck Fletcher on Reverb Nation
Chuck Fletcher on Facebook

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK".