9.02 (latest) constant crash?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 9.02 (latest) constant crash?

Post by cuttime »

Haven't been able to run the latest 9.02 versions through their paces until now. Can't duplicate it here, either, on both 9.02 iterations. Have not jumped through the permissions hoop since El Cap and I notice no difference. Sorry, I know this is no help.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
williemyers
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 9.02 (latest) constant crash?((*SOLVED* (sort of..))

Post by williemyers »

hi again, everyone.

well, I finally got a chance to sort out my problems with my DP 9.02 install (and my DP 9.01 & DP 8.07 reinstalls), all on an OSX 10.8.5 volume.

For those seeking the short answer, I believe Bayswater nailed it when he opined;
bayswater wrote:That's frustrating. Maybe you've come across a conflict between 9.0x and 8.07?
While I don't have a lot of tech specs to back this up, I believe that DP 9.0x doesn't play well with OSX 10.8.x - - despite the fact that MOTU claims that DP 9 is backwards compatible to OSX 10.6.8

For those who might want a bit more detail, here's the deal....
I started out with two bootable volumes on my MacPro - - OSX 10.8.5 and OSX 10.11.3. Both contained DP 8.07 and it ran flawlessly on either.

When I bought DP 9.02 last week, I decided to install it on my 10.8.5 volume. I did and I left the 10.11.3 volume untouched.

When I first opened DP 9.02/OSX 10.8.5, I used it to playback a number of older sessions. All worked just fine. I then decided to do a test by recording some MIDI data in to an Instrument track (Kontakt 5.5), which I successfully did. But then, when I grabbed that block of MIDI data in the TO and attempted to drag it to a later bar, DP crashed. And every time I would repeat the attempt to drag the MIDI, DP would crash. Unusable...

I decided to "roll back" to DP 9.01. Installed successfully, but when I repeated my "test" outlined above, the data would "shift" without crashing, but it would leave duplicate notes (unwanted duplicate notes) in the original bar. This was repeatable and made DP 9.01 unusable.

So I decided to "roll back" to DP 8.07. Repeat of the above paragraph. DP 8.07 unusable...

So I read through all of the suggestions and a number of other posts re: install problems and I finally settled on the following; all of the problems I wa having were on the 10.8.5 volume. The 10.11.3 volume still had a pristine copy of DP 8.07 on it. SDo I went in to 10.8.5's User>Library, removed all of the MOTU related preference files and copied over the 10.11.3 User>Library MOTU related preference files in to 10.8.5's User>Library. And...
VOILA! A perfectly working DP 8.07 back on OSX 10.8.5 again!

So now I decided to push my luck and install DP 9.02 on OSX 10.11.3....
VOILA! A perfectly working (so far) DP 9.02 on OSX 10.11.3.

Hence my feeling that the root of my problem was DP 9 not playing well with OSX 10.8.x. I took a look at the sigs of a number of "the usual suspects" (you KNOW who you are!!) and most everyone who is using DP 9 is using it on OSX 10.9 or higher.

So again, thanks to those of you who offered suggestions (replace prefs, permissions, etc.). Greatly appreciated!
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me