Help showing automation on a MIDI track!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Help showing automation on a MIDI track!

Post by Topo »

This is my first go at automating volume on a MIDI track in DP9. I have been pouring over the user manual, but cannot get it to happen correctly. I took a snapshot of the track. Have the sequence window open, selected Volume in the MIDI edit layer drop down. It took me forever to finally get a line across the window that seems to represent volume. I still don't know how I managed to actually get it to appear....not anything like I was used to in DP7. BUT, it's not behaving like it should. If I set a couple points at each end, to maintain the original volume before and after my edit, and then put some points in the middle, I cannot get a point to cause a slope to the next point for a gradual fade up or down. The point simply draws a straight line down and won't slope relative to the points on either end. This is SO confusing...I have spent hours reading the manual and trying different things. Very much appreciate some help.
i7 2.93ghz iMac SSD & 16gb•DP7.2/9•StudioLive1642•Joe Meek 3Q•ADK Humburg T-67•ADK Vienna•Rode NT2•Taylor GS Koa limited•'71 Gibson Hummingbird•Fender Strat Plus w/lace sensors•Fender P bass•JBL 2325's•MOTU microlite•Tascam DAT•Alesis QS8•Yamaha U3•Ravenscroft 275 VI•Nord Piano•Specialized Stumpjumper Elite
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Help showing automation on a MIDI track!

Post by cuttime »

Make sure you are using 9.01, as there were definitely automation problems with 9.0.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31

Post by Topo »

Yeah...it's 9.01. It is behaving nothing like I've known this to work. It also does this crazy weird thing of adding more points after I select one and hit delete. This used to be so easy and basic...set 3 points, and drag the middle one down and you get a nice fade down on one side and fade up on the other. Now, it ignores the left point and just draws down a straight line. Unbelievably frustrating. I hope someone can help me figure this out. I've got everything done on a tune, except these finishing touches.
cuttime wrote:Make sure you are using 9.01, as there were definitely automation problems with 9.0.
i7 2.93ghz iMac SSD & 16gb•DP7.2/9•StudioLive1642•Joe Meek 3Q•ADK Humburg T-67•ADK Vienna•Rode NT2•Taylor GS Koa limited•'71 Gibson Hummingbird•Fender Strat Plus w/lace sensors•Fender P bass•JBL 2325's•MOTU microlite•Tascam DAT•Alesis QS8•Yamaha U3•Ravenscroft 275 VI•Nord Piano•Specialized Stumpjumper Elite
leigh

Post by leigh »

This exact thing (enter 3 points, dragging the middle one produces a horizontal line) has been bugging me in 9.01. I don't remember ever having this problem. My workaround is to draw using the Freehand tool so I can get an approximation of what I want.

Have you filed a TechLink?

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics

Post by Topo »

Oh jeez....tell me it's not some terrible bug. I *did* file a techlink. And I'll call them tomorrow. I really cannot live with this.
leigh wrote:This exact thing (enter 3 points, dragging the middle one produces a horizontal line) has been bugging me in 9.01. I don't remember ever having this problem. My workaround is to draw using the Freehand tool so I can get an approximation of what I want.

Have you filed a TechLink?

**Leigh
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Which tool are you using? This happens to me if I use a selection tool and click on the line to create points. New points I don't want appear, they can't be deleted, I get straight lines and right angles. But using the pencil tool and the straight line reshaper, I can draw lines with simple straight ramps. I also find that having the track display in line mode is not ideal. You get a straight line, but if you switch to points or bars, the ramp is lumpy. Drawing with the pencil in bar mode appears to give the most reliable outcome.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8

Post by Topo »

Thanks.....I can't get any automation volume representation to show in bar mode. I don't see a volume line at all. I had to set it to line mode, then I finally was able to see it. In DP7, I simply used the sequence window, took a snapshot, made sure volume was selected as the view, and viola....I could click on the volume line anywhere and it would create a point. Click on any other locations to create points, then drag any of them and they created a ramp transition to the next point. Now, all I get is the right angle vertical thing. I *did* try the other tools, but didn't find a solution. I'll try it again, but this should work like it did before....it was a perfect feature that did not need any modifications. Having to draw curves is so inefficient.
bayswater wrote:Which tool are you using? This happens to me if I use a selection tool and click on the line to create points. New points I don't want appear, they can't be deleted, I get straight lines and right angles. But using the pencil tool and the straight line reshaper, I can draw lines with simple straight ramps. I also find that having the track display in line mode is not ideal. You get a straight line, but if you switch to points or bars, the ramp is lumpy. Drawing with the pencil in bar mode appears to give the most reliable outcome.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Topo, in the SE, a MIDI track has 7 drop down menus at the left to select display, input, output, etc. The last of the 7 will set the controller display to lines, bars, or points.

Post by Topo »

I *did* finally get the automation like to show, but the feature is terribly buggy, and still does not do what it is supposed to. A tech link has been filed and I've spoken with motu support. Hopefully others here can file a report so we can get this basic feature corrected.
bayswater wrote:Topo, in the SE, a MIDI track has 7 drop down menus at the left to select display, input, output, etc. The last of the 7 will set the controller display to lines, bars, or points.

Last edited by Topo on Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leigh

Post by leigh »

This is my problem:

VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Topo wrote:Hmmm...I don't see any volume representation.
In my screen capture, it's the line at the bottom of the lane. In yours, it doesn't look you've put any volume info in yet. Or maybe you have the view filter set to exclude it. In the insert drop down, choose volume. Select the pencil tool and click in the lane. See anything written?
leigh

Post by leigh »

I just figured it out!!

The straight line snaps to the grid!!

Turning off Snap To Grid makes it work the way I was expecting.

Let me know if that fixes it for you.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I still get the vertical ramps, but using the pencil tool works. If turning snap off works for you, so will holding down the command key. That toggles the snap to setting.
leigh

Post by leigh »

Feh!!! Not working!

I'm more confused now because now it's not working regardless of the grid snap setting.

I'll keep plugging away for a bit longer but if I can't get it to work, then I'll file at TechLink, too.

Post by Topo »

Almost, but it's still not like it used to be in DP7. If I hold the command key, it helps, but there are still terribly weird right angles that get created. If I try to add a point in the middle of something that has already been set, it still gives me a right angle. If I start fresh, and use the command key while adding the point and dragging, it's better, but not perfect like in DP7
leigh wrote:I just figured it out!!

The straight line snaps to the grid!!

Turning off Snap To Grid makes it work the way I was expecting.

Let me know if that fixes it for you.