Audible Mode Not Working In One Project

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
DigitalMan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Audible Mode Not Working In One Project

Post by DigitalMan »

EDIT: Figured it out. The virtual instrument's window has to be open for scrubbing to work. (Also, you can turn off the the pre-gen preference for VIs.)

So, so, much to learn with this stuff. Hopefully this edit bails someone else out in the future. :)

- - - - - -

Sorry for being the desperate guy needing help, but...

I have a big project I need to complete before Monday morning and the Audible Mode doesn't seem to be working in my project. I cannot scrub MIDI files, nor can I hear Drum Editor pencil tool edits, nor do notes in the MIDI Editor (or Drum Editor) sound when selected with the pointer tool.

Everything plays back perfectly fine, but whether I click Audible Mode on or off in the Control Panel, neither scrubbing nor selecting MIDI notes makes any sound.

To test, I created a brand new, empty project... and Audible Mode is working there perfectly.

I've read the manual, searched these forums, and the rest of the internet. I am stumped. What am I missing?

I assure you my gratitude will be very real. I am definitely starting to stress bit. I have much editing to do.

Thanks so very much!
Tritonemusic

Re: Audible Mode Not Working In One Project

Post by Tritonemusic »

If you don't want the window open, you can record-enable the track, instead.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
DigitalMan

Post by DigitalMan »

Tritonemusic wrote:If you don't want the window open, you can record-enable the track, instead.
Awesome tip. That works like a charm. Thank you! :D

While I'm back, I'll rant a little... The DP9 manual has this:
DP9 Manual Regarding Audible Mode wrote:For MIDI tracks, Audible Mode playback is similar to pressing the Play button in the Control Panel, including output assignment and volume information. If you click on a note and don’t hear anything when Audible Mode is activated, make sure that the output assignment for the track is set up properly. If the track plays back correctly when you press the Play button in the Control Panel, it will play back properly in Audible Mode as well.
Obviously, that is simply false. RTFM, indeed. :roll:
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Open the Bundles Window (Shift-U) and see what output is at the top of the list. That's the output that's playing the Audible Mode. If that's not the active output which connects to your audio interface and out to your amp/speakers, then you won't hear it. If that's the case, try moving the correct track to the top of the list or routing that output through the monitors.

That's the way it used to work. I haven't tested it to see if they changed it, but it's worth a try.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

Shooshie wrote:Open the Bundles Window (Shift-U) and see what output is at the top of the list. That's the output that's playing the Audible Mode. If that's not the active output which connects to your audio interface and out to your amp/speakers, then you won't hear it. If that's the case, try moving the correct track to the top of the list or routing that output through the monitors.

That's the way it used to work. I haven't tested it to see if they changed it, but it's worth a try.

Shooshie
I was gonna say that too. Probably because I learned that from you, Shooshie. Back a good number of years :)
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"