DP 9.01 & 8.07 crash when dragging a soundbite into a track

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Clevelandrawks
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 9.01 & 8.07 crash when dragging a soundbite into a track

Post by Clevelandrawks »

This just started happening today.

I opened a new project in DP 9.01 and assign 3 stereo tracks and 8 MIDI tracks to the project. Open a QT .MOV (mp4) and import the audio from the movie to the sequence.

Then I go to the sound bites folder and import 3-4 stereo SFX files. All of which are the same sample rate and bit depth as the project is setup at (24/48K .WAV). I then go into the soundbites folder, open up one of the sound files and attempt to drag it into the sequence stereo track as I have done countless times in numerous projects before this.

As soon as I hover the file over the sequence window, DP crashes. Both 9.01 and 8.07. I have tried different files think the ones I imported were corrupt. Same outcome.

So, I then did a complete re-instal of DP 9.01. Trashed preferences and did first aid on the Mac HD. No change. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Also, just updated to OSX 10.11.3
MAC pro quad-core, 32GB memory, OS X 10.11.3, DP 9.01, Protools 11.3, Logic Pro X, REAPER, RX5, Altiverb-7, Speakerphone 2 and WAVElab 8. 10TB of raid, plugs, plugs and more plugs.
Clevelandrawks

Re: DP 9.01 & 8.07 crash when dragging a soundbite into a tr

Post by Clevelandrawks »

UPDATE:

Now i can import and drag an audio file into the sequence window. But now when I try and grab that audio files in the track and move it to a new location, that now crashes DP. HuuuuuH?
MAC pro quad-core, 32GB memory, OS X 10.11.3, DP 9.01, Protools 11.3, Logic Pro X, REAPER, RX5, Altiverb-7, Speakerphone 2 and WAVElab 8. 10TB of raid, plugs, plugs and more plugs.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Is there a crash report?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Clevelandrawks

Post by Clevelandrawks »

mikehalloran wrote:Is there a crash report?

Hey Mike-

yes there was, sent them off to MOTU with some comments. I would think there is a file of crash reports. Just not sure where to look????

A couple more curious things have happened since my last post.

1. If I open an older project on the same drive, and go through the same steps of importing, spotting and moving the sound files in the sequence window, everything works as it should.

2. I followed you method of repairing permissions in ElCap and at first it didn't seem to help.

3. I changed the GUI And started a new project after rebooting and now it all seems to work fine.

I did open Protools to salvage a mix due today and when I tried to import the files I got this error message;
Could not complete the Import Audio command because Assertion in "/Volumes/Development/151228/ProTools/NewFileLibs/Cfd/MacBuild/../MacOS/Cfd_ImportAudioDialogMacOS.mm", line 559.

I haven't gotten into the AVID database to see what this could be now. That comes later.
The GUI I was using is the one called "Carbon Fiber". Then went back to the "Default" 9.01 GUI and that's when it started working again. Very strange. Any ideas?

Think it could be the upgrade from OSX 10.11.2 to 10.11.3? (but it did the upgrade two weeks ago and have done three new projects since)

Baffling.

Thanks for any clues here. Appreciate it.
JIM
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

Clevelandrawks wrote:...when I try and grab that audio files in the track and move it to a new location, that now crashes DP. HuuuuuH?
Jim, FWIW, I'm having similar problems with DP 9 (.01 & .02), but I'm getting the crash when I move MIDI data to a new location in a track? Let us know if you hear anything back from MOTU?
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
Clevelandrawks

Post by Clevelandrawks »

I did open Protools to salvage a mix due today and when I tried to import the files I got this error message;
Could not complete the Import Audio command because Assertion in "/Volumes/Development/151228/ProTools/NewFileLibs/Cfd/MacBuild/../MacOS/Cfd_ImportAudioDialogMacOS.mm", line 559.
FYI- AVID will not fix this issue in protools 11. They told me to upgrade to 12. Not going to happen. I can still drag and drop audio into a track and import OMF and video files just fine.