DP 9's CPU meter is in Red with 93% idle activity

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Terry50
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9's CPU meter is in Red with 93% idle activity

Post by Terry50 »

I never knew that about SSD's. :mrgreen:
So it used to be important to have all the data from a project together on the hard drive so it wouldn't be so hard to read because of the physical movement of the reader beam. But now you say that with SSD's, this is not necessary anymore. :o

I unchecked "Put hard disks to sleep when possible".

You've been a big help. Thank you. :dance:
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

So it used to be important to have all the data from a project together on the hard drive so it wouldn't be so hard to read because of the physical movement of the reader beam.
Yes but only the makers of de-frag software claimed it was really important after SATA in 2002. Apple and others could show that it made no real difference—even if it made sense.
But now you say that with SSD's, this is not necessary anymore.
Technically, it's impossible nowadays. The firmware of SSDs and TRIM + garbage collection in the OS are designed to keep it from happening. Since there's no mechanical arm, well, you know . . .

I'm not saying a clean install isn't necessary now and then but that is to resolve software issues caused by ancient code that behaves in unexpected ways when still present on newer systems. For someone like I who still has files created on a Mac+, this can be an issue. I did a clean install in Sept. 2014 due to a bug in OS 10.9.4 (had I been able to wait two weeks, 10.9.5 fixed the issue) — it was nice to shed about 400G of crap that I had been accumulating since 1990 or so, the last time a clean install had been done.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Terry50

Post by Terry50 »

Thanks Mike :D
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Just re-read this thread. Reminded me of how evil MacKeeper is. I made the mistake of trying it out about a year ago on my laptop. All kinds of terrible problems ensued...one of them was that when I
logged onto Motunation, every post contained words highlighted in green that were linked to foreign websites. A word like "waveform" would be highlighted and linked to some site selling beachwear.

Emails I composed would do the same thing - certain words in my email text would instantly become green and highlighted, and would be linked to some website. I couldn't send any emails, nor could I read emails coming in, without this annoyance.

MacKeeper is 100% Malware, I'm convinced.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
LittleJJ

Post by LittleJJ »

Me too.
2023 M1 Ultra (yay!)
Apollo interface
A few thousand plugs
A half million guitars and 10 million stompboxes
Tubes
Electricity
Gerk

Post by Gerk »

I see the same kind of CPU usage and I most certainly have no Mackeeper installed (I am a mac tech at a college and spend many days removing this from student laptops!). I've tried a large number of solutions and nothing really helps. I've come to the conclusion that DP9 is just a resource hog. And in terms of using UAD-2 stuff to help out -- it doesn't. I have project with reasonably low track counts (like 12-14 tracks, no VIs at all) that use nothing but UAD plugins and I still see my CPU meter spike out constantly. And I DO get audio dropouts at times. I had similar issues with DP8 (but nowhere near as bad in terms of CPU usage).

I have no issues in terms of I/O bottlenecks (see my sig for machine details) and I don't have these issues with other DAWs (PT12, Logic Pro X) -- so it's not just you. I'm really not sure what sort of "usage" this meter tracks, but it is certainly not CPU, or at least not in the way we are expecting it would track CPU usage.
15" Macbook Pro Retina quad 2.5Ghz 16G/512G SSD (2015 model),
Raven MTi2, 4k Vizio TV, Pegasus TB2 RAID5 (6TB),
UAD TB Apollo Twin Duo, UAD TB Satellite Octo, Tascam DM-3200/IFFW-DMII
DP 9.0.2 (Pro Tools 12.4, Logic Pro X 10.2.2), OS X 10.10.5
Gerk

Post by Gerk »

David Polich wrote:MacKeeper is 100% Malware, I'm convinced.
Yes, almost certainly this is the case. As I stated in the post above, working as a Mac Technologist we remove Mackeeper as policy.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Gerk wrote: I've come to the conclusion that DP9 is just a resource hog. And in terms of using UAD-2 stuff to help out -- it doesn't. I have project with reasonably low track counts (like 12-14 tracks, no VIs at all) that use nothing but UAD plugins and I still see my CPU meter spike out constantly. And I DO get audio dropouts at times. I had similar issues with DP8 (but nowhere near as bad in terms of CPU usage).
If the problem was with DP 8 or 9, then you would expect most, if not all users to see CPU spike and audio dropouts with projects of this size. CPU rarely goes much above 40% on my old iMac with projects up to twice that size, with a number of VI tracks, and plugins. Logic would dictate the problem is something more specific concerning specific systems and setups, rather than the thing we all have in common -- using DP.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Gerk

Post by Gerk »

bayswater wrote:
Gerk wrote: I've come to the conclusion that DP9 is just a resource hog. And in terms of using UAD-2 stuff to help out -- it doesn't. I have project with reasonably low track counts (like 12-14 tracks, no VIs at all) that use nothing but UAD plugins and I still see my CPU meter spike out constantly. And I DO get audio dropouts at times. I had similar issues with DP8 (but nowhere near as bad in terms of CPU usage).
If the problem was with DP 8 or 9, then you would expect most, if not all users to see CPU spike and audio dropouts with projects of this size. CPU rarely goes much above 40% on my old iMac with projects up to twice that size, with a number of VI tracks, and plugins. Logic would dictate the problem is something more specific concerning specific systems and setups, rather than the thing we all have in common -- using DP.
The problems _IS_ with DP 9 -- not with something else, it's DP 9 that's showing me these "fake" spikes -- and I call them fake because nothing outside of DP is seeing any kind of usage like that, but I see what you're saying, that something else may be contributing to the issue. Not sure what it would be though. At some point I suppose I should take this up directly with support -- but to be honest my time is valuable to me and I didn't intend on paying to be a beta tester. With the issues DP9 has on my rig it's pretty much unusable. At this point I would rather just cut my losses and move along to using something else until they spend their own time and $$ (well mine that I already gave them) to get their corner cases sorted out.
Terry50

Post by Terry50 »

Thanks for your input. :D

Terry