uninstall DP7 and reinstall

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
edurbrow@sea.plala.or.jp
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

uninstall DP7 and reinstall

Post by edurbrow@sea.plala.or.jp »

I've been having trouble saving for several months. What do I have to do to just uninstall DP7 and reinstall? Any gotchyas or can I just use AppZapper and get rid of DP and reinstall from the installer disc?
Thank you in advance.
Ed Durbrow
Saitama, Japan
mikehalloran

Re: uninstall DP7 and reinstall

Post by mikehalloran »

It's easy and sometimes must be done. You must have your CD.

If you have a 7.24 CD, run the installer. When you get to Easy Install, click on it. You will see Uninstall in the drop-down menu. Run it. When done, re-run and install.

If you do not have a 7.24 CD, download the 7.24 Updater from MOTU.com. Run the Uninstaller as above. Now run the Uninstaller from your CD. Reinstall from your CD first, then the 7.24 Update. You do not need the incremental updaters, only 7.24.

Restart DP. If it asks to Authorize, insert your CD and type in the info. Use dashes, not the minus sign in the key code.

If you are on Maverics or later, you may have to go to System Preferences/Security and check the box for Allow installs from any.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
edurbrow@sea.plala.or.jp

Post by edurbrow@sea.plala.or.jp »

Thank you for your detailed explanation. That seemed to do the trick.
Minus and dash are different? I didn't know.
Thank you very much.
Ed Durbrow
Saitama, Japan
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

edurbrow@sea.plala.or.jp wrote:Thank you for your detailed explanation. That seemed to do the trick.
Minus and dash are different? I didn't know.
Thank you very much.
You're welcome.

Yes, minus signs and dashes are often interchangeable but not with MOTU key codes. It was quite frustrating till I figured that one out.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Post script:

Uninstalling and reinstalling DP 7 will cause corrupt links in DP 8 and 9 if also installed. The symptom is that a list will appear showing that many of your plugins are missing.

The fix is simple: Reinstall DP 8 and/or 9. Unlike DP 7, there is no Uninstall – DP 8 or 9 installs over itself.

None of this affects DP Preferences. Likewise, trashing Preferences has no effect on any of this.

It's still a good idea to Repair Permissions either in Disk Utility through OS 10.10 or Terminal in 10.11. After testing the above, the usual MAS permissions needed to be repaired that have caused problems in the past.

To Repair Permissions OS 10.11 and Later: In Terminal, type the following or copy and paste:

sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs --volume /

Enter your Admin password when asked. It is done when you get another command prompt. This may take several minutes to complete.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If you get this error message, The font QuickScribeX cannot be found after an uninstall/install of DP 7.24, here's how to fix it easily. This should work in OS 10.8 or later but I don't know about OS 10.6–7.

If DP 7.24 is open, quit the application.

Go to DP 7.24 in the Applications folder and right-click to Show Package Contents. Now open Contents/Resources and you will see the QuickScribeX font. Double-click to open and you will see a button to Install Font. Install the font.

Reopen DP 7.24 and the error message will be gone.

There are some older threads that describe a more complex process in OS 10.6. I have no idea if you need to do that in Snow Leopard or Lion.
Cosmos275

Post by Cosmos275 »

I get the quick scribe font error. I followed your instructions and it gave me a warning along the lines of "there is a serious error with this font, do not install it". So I didn't. I get the error every start up. Is there a way to lose the error message? Thanks
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Cosmos275 wrote:I get the quick scribe font error. I followed your instructions and it gave me a warning along the lines of "there is a serious error with this font, do not install it". So I didn't. I get the error every start up. Is there a way to lose the error message? Thanks
First, it's not an error but a message that that DP 7 will use the font inside the App folder. To make it go away is simple: Install the font.

The 'serious error' is that it does not have numerical nor upper & lower case fonts. An all caps-font will give you a 'minor errors, procede with caution' error. With specialized fonts, these cautions are common.

I got that once with the music font in Encore—the old version had a 2005 build date. After removing the old version, I got the standard 'minor errors' caution that these usually generate.

If you get a "duplicate font" message on install, go to Font Book.app, remove the QuickScribe font and reinstall. Certain very old versions do not allow themselves to be overwritten and must be removed manually before Font Book will let you reinstall. Rare but it happens.

If you get that after removing an old version, you may actually have a corrupted font file. You can find another copy on the installer CD.
Cosmos275

Post by Cosmos275 »

OK, I installed it. No smoke came out. Thanks for your wealth of knowledge!