Warning, Bypass automation can fail in DP 9

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Warning, Bypass automation can fail in DP 9

Post by toodamnhip »

DP 9 and 9.01:

Bypass automation on plug ins can fail unexpectedly.
(I have only tested in AU plugs)

At 1st I though this was only an issue with Waves, but when DP’s own EQ’s started failing to bypass, I thought I would post to all.

There are two phenomena. One is the Bypass status in the mixer window will disagree with the bypass status in the plug in window itself. (In that case, it’s hard to know if the plug in is working or not. But I think it works in that case). For ex, in DPs parametric EQ 2, the bypass stays read in the actual plug in, but I can see the parameters go from light to darker showing me the plug in is indeed working). The second phenomena is that the plug in won;t automate bypass at all.

The simplest way to check for this is to look at the automation event list inside the SE window or any other window. If Dp is failing on bypass, (or another type of automation),, you will see the far right part of the parameters description BLANK. For ex. in a waves EQ, a CORRECT listing would say: Insert A/B/C/D: (Bypass). A broken automation would read: Insert B: (without showing “(Bypass)"
And as you will notice, there are no brackets and no “bypass” category.

Also, if you use the pull down menu in the SE window and pull down to the missing bypass category, the words “Bypass” and “In” at the left most part of the track window won;t show. You might still see the actual bypass automation in the track itself, but the plug in will not be responding to it.
This will make more sense when you run into the failure and see it for yourselves.

So for now, look through your automation parameters and see if any seem to lack a category in their bracketed names. You might see a list of bracketed names and one that has NO name. That is the broken automation. That parameter will not automate.

The fix for this is also problematic. Sometimes a re-start fixes things, as in many waves EQs. But embarrassingly enough for DP, I cannot get ParaEQ 2 band stereo) to work on some tracks as far as bypass automation, and thus, I have to manually turn it on at each session start, and I erased the bypasses so that it just stays on once manually set.

If any of you have a mix you recall suddenly sound funny, and you had bypasses on plug ins, this may be why. By the way, this issue has been verified by by 3rd party manufacturers.
Last edited by toodamnhip on Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Warning, Bypass automation can fail in DP 9

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Have you tried with both AU and VST plugs? I wonder if it's one or the other that has the problem or if it's both.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

cuttime wrote:Seems to be a confirmed bug:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... automation
YEs, confirmed. I will post a list soon of the plugs that seem problematic. I have already lost a bunch of money workign tonight, but I want to finally get organized about it as now I have to check these problematic bypass tracks every time I open a mix...once I have the list, I will post. And it should probably be a sticky at the top of the forum. Which Waves, which Do plugs have automation issues. The problem is, they are not consistent. For ex- SSL EQ can fail and then work upon re start. This is a confirmed bug that CHANGES upon any given re start. That is a sucky bug.
So further recommend that one uses “notes” and ANY time one has an issue with a plug in, one adds that track to notes to be checked upon re opening the project.
Again, the “easiest” way I have found to check this is to use the pull down window and look for missing automation names in the brackets at the end of each type of automation in a track.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

OK, for what it’s worth, heres a list of problematic plug ins, (by no means complete, and, subject to change when re opening any given session file).

Problematic Plug Ins; do not Bypass automate
Waves:
Vitamin
SSL EQ
Puig CHild EQ
RComprressor
Q2 EQ

DP
Parametric EQ 2band
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

MOTUs own, newest plug in, FET-76, doesn’t automate bypass properly.

Yikes.

Time for an update/fix!
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

It's so simple create a second track (output to the same buss) sans plug-in and place the portions of the track you want unaffected there. I've never even tried to automate plug-in bypass.

Waiting for that glory morning when you find even one thing in DP that consistently works for you. Bog And All His Holy Angels will surely ring in the End Of Days.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Gravity Jim wrote:It's so simple create a second track (output to the same buss) sans plug-in and place the portions of the track you want unaffected there.
It sometimes simpler to simply automate bypass. I've never had an issue, but I'm on DP8 and Mountain Lion.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Gravity Jim wrote:It's so simple create a second track (output to the same buss) sans plug-in and place the portions of the track you want unaffected there. I've never even tried to automate plug-in bypass.

Waiting for that glory morning when you find even one thing in DP that consistently works for you. Bog And All His Holy Angels will surely ring in the End Of Days.
I’m waiting for the “Glory days” when DP’s mute and snap shot automation worked properly. With a variety of plug ins going in and out of bypass on a multitude of tracks, your advise would not work, but thank you for the thought. If it was a simple EQ coming in one or two times, or just one plug in, your solution might work. But not in a complex mix where any given track amongst over a 100 has various plug ins turning on and off or automating.

DP plug in automation is broken in various ways. The newest issue being mutes. It is not about what “works for me”or my happiness.
The purpose of this post is to warn others so that they can make informed decisions about using DP 9 or automating mutes. Had I known clearly that Waves Q2 stereo fails mute automation, I could have used Q 4 which does not have such issues. I would have welcomed such a warning. Perhaps this post will allow others to NOT use Q2 until MOTU fixes it’s mute automation issues.

I will add that upon re-start, Q2 went a bit whacky due to inde L-R automation data, and the fix was to delete it from the track and place a new one back into the track. So if any of you have an issue with a plug in and automation, try deleting it and putting it back into the track. It seems DP then refreshes the plug in with correct automation.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

MOTU must face (and will...).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Thanks for the heads up, TDH. I checked and can confirm that the issue exists on my system as well. Let's hope 9.02 brings some happiness.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

Great. Just what I wanted to hear. I mixed and mastered my CD. And it's out. I did gave sine automation issues. But in not sure I ferreted them all out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
vsoprod
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by vsoprod »

Just updated to 9.02 and still having no luck with a lot of Waves plugins and Softube tla 100 bypass. Haven't tried enough to know if there are any that work now that didn't but still enough that I am used to using bypass on that I can't use DP9 yet. Anyone else having any luck?
MacPro 12core 2.66GHZ, 32GB ram, UA Apollo Quad, DP9.12, OS 10.11.xx Waves, Nomad Factory, Drumagog, Autotune plugins.
Video card nVIDIA GTX 980 2GB memory
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

vsoprod wrote:Just updated to 9.02 and still having no luck with a lot of Waves plugins and Softube tla 100 bypass. Haven't tried enough to know if there are any that work now that didn't but still enough that I am used to using bypass on that I can't use DP9 yet. Anyone else having any luck?
My experience was that some bypass automation has improved such as in Renaissance EQ's that now work, while others still do not work. I was going to test it but then I realized that it will take a long time and I did not have time . This is because there are various iterations for every plug-in. For example, the stereo version might bypass correctly, while the mid side version will not. Crazy
I was going to post of this when 9.2 first came out, but then I realized that various members here would give me a hard time and call me ungrateful, say it is only happening on my system etc. And to be honest, I wasn't in the mood so I didn't say anything. But your post has made me come out of my hybernation and mention this issue is still a problem. It is a bit sad when one does not want to report on issues due to rabid fan boys LOL .
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Hopefully all of you have started and updated your tech links on the issue?
I bothered to call about my issue with VSTi MIDI out, and it did seem to help it along the path.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.