Warning, Bypass automation can fail in DP 9

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Warning, Bypass automation can fail in DP 9

Post by toodamnhip »

Michael Canavan wrote:Hopefully all of you have started and updated your tech links on the issue?
I bothered to call about my issue with VSTi MIDI out, and it did seem to help it along the path.
MOTU completely ignored my last, detailed tech link on this issue. Waves points to MOTU. MOTU seems to not want to confront this issue. Speculation would lead me to believe fixing the automation issue is some sort of technical catch 22 for MOTU that they can’t confront.

I am currently VERY impressed with Pro Tools 12.5. Then I hear AVID is laying people off. Guess there are problems everywhere. This is what you get when the WORLD decides music is now “free”, and rips off an entire industry. Are we all dinosaurs?..lol
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
vsoprod
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by vsoprod »

I started going through my 3rd party plugins with 9.02 These were all checked in mono, so that's what I'm reporting on, here's what I found so far
NOT WORKING c6, cla-3a, guitar stomp, kramer tape, r-eq, scheps 73. Soft tubes tla 100.

WORKING: api 550, dbx 160,de esser, kramer Pie, ADT, RS56.

Sad because there are so many little things that make DP9 really useful, but if I can't trust the bypass automation to work then I can't really use it full time yet.
Does anyone know if the VST versions work or not. I might try those when I have time.
MacPro 12core 2.66GHZ, 32GB ram, UA Apollo Quad, DP9.12, OS 10.11.xx Waves, Nomad Factory, Drumagog, Autotune plugins.
Video card nVIDIA GTX 980 2GB memory
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

vsoprod wrote:I started going through my 3rd party plugins with 9.02 These were all checked in mono, so that's what I'm reporting on, here's what I found so far
NOT WORKING c6, cla-3a, guitar stomp, kramer tape, r-eq, scheps 73. Soft tubes tla 100.

WORKING: api 550, dbx 160,de esser, kramer Pie, ADT, RS56.

Sad because there are so many little things that make DP9 really useful, but if I can't trust the bypass automation to work then I can't really use it full time yet.
Does anyone know if the VST versions work or not. I might try those when I have time.
I haven’t tried VST. For plug ins such as an EQ etc, you can try to automate them at ZERO effect, and then have them boost and cut where needed. For plug ins that truly “color” the sound, this work around won’t work. I use this technique on EQs etc. I have found that several Waves EQs now bypass automate with 9.2, but not all of them.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

toodamnhip wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote:Hopefully all of you have started and updated your tech links on the issue?
I bothered to call about my issue with VSTi MIDI out, and it did seem to help it along the path.
MOTU completely ignored my last, detailed tech link on this issue. Waves points to MOTU. MOTU seems to not want to confront this issue. Speculation would lead me to believe fixing the automation issue is some sort of technical catch 22 for MOTU that they can’t confront.

I am currently VERY impressed with Pro Tools 12.5. Then I hear AVID is laying people off. Guess there are problems everywhere. This is what you get when the WORLD decides music is now “free”, and rips off an entire industry. Are we all dinosaurs?..lol
When I called, not to be a gossip or anything, but the guy did mention he found my tech link on it, hadn't been read yet. I called because I wondered if there was a direct way to convert loops to real MIDI or audio, (there isn't, replace loops with 'Repeat' ), but the conversation about the problem did seem to light the fire under the VSTi MIDI out issue. I mean there isn't an update to the updated update yet, but hey, I'll give em the benefit of the doubt there.
If you haven't called them yet, I would, it might help them speed the process up. I'm about to use mute automation, and I'm hoping my VST's are on the OK list... :surrender:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
vsoprod
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by vsoprod »

Did some more testing. Some plugins that don't work in mono do work in stereo. Auto tune 8.1 does not work but Auto tune 7 does. As I work my way through my plugin list I'm keeping notes.
MacPro 12core 2.66GHZ, 32GB ram, UA Apollo Quad, DP9.12, OS 10.11.xx Waves, Nomad Factory, Drumagog, Autotune plugins.
Video card nVIDIA GTX 980 2GB memory
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

vsoprod wrote:Did some more testing. Some plugins that don't work in mono do work in stereo. Auto tune 8.1 does not work but Auto tune 7 does. As I work my way through my plugin list I'm keeping notes.
SO we can see this is not a waves issue but most likely a DP issue. And isn’t it nice that MOTU failed to respond to my last tech links months ago?
I am surprised more members here aren;t complaining?
Sometime I get the feeling people around here don’t automate much.
KUG ins failing to bypass reliably is not a small matter.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13