Spinning beach ball hesitation in DP9

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Spinning beach ball hesitation in DP9

Post by Topo »

I am experiencing frequent pauses when doing anything in DP9. I get the spinning color ball for a couple seconds, then whatever I have done will proceed...,but not after this pause. Simply pressing play, I'll get the spinning beach ball...or clicking into renaming a track...really, anything I do produces this 2 second delay. It's quite annoying. Could it be associated to the buffer size? I'm set to 256. My iMac is an i7 2.93Ghz. Running Yosemite. With sufficient ram. Frankly, I *never* had this issue with Snow Leopard and DP7 with the same iMac. I just upgraded to 9 and to Yosemite, and I was expecting great results, but that's not the case. I even had a new SSD boot drive installed. I am only running a couple VI's on a sequence and have not even started recording any audio yet. I sure hope this is something that can be corrected with a setting. I really don't want to go back to Snow Leopard and DP7.
i7 2.93ghz iMac SSD & 16gb•DP7.2/9•StudioLive1642•Joe Meek 3Q•ADK Humburg T-67•ADK Vienna•Rode NT2•Taylor GS Koa limited•'71 Gibson Hummingbird•Fender Strat Plus w/lace sensors•Fender P bass•JBL 2325's•MOTU microlite•Tascam DAT•Alesis QS8•Yamaha U3•Ravenscroft 275 VI•Nord Piano•Specialized Stumpjumper Elite
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Spinning beach ball hesitation in DP9

Post by Gravity Jim »

That sounds like some process running in the background that's getting in DP's way. That is to say, not normal behavior.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]

Post by Topo »

I have run it with nothing else open. Maybe I'll try it with WiFi turned off. It's a pretty uncluttered OS install....not much else but DP and the stock apps that Yosemite installs. Yeah...I really need to figure out what is distracting DP.
Gravity Jim wrote:That sounds like some process running in the background that's getting in DP's way. That is to say, not normal behavior.
i7 2.93ghz iMac SSD & 16gb•DP7.2/9•StudioLive1642•Joe Meek 3Q•ADK Humburg T-67•ADK Vienna•Rode NT2•Taylor GS Koa limited•'71 Gibson Hummingbird•Fender Strat Plus w/lace sensors•Fender P bass•JBL 2325's•MOTU microlite•Tascam DAT•Alesis QS8•Yamaha U3•Ravenscroft 275 VI•Nord Piano•Specialized Stumpjumper Elite
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I'd check hard drive health as well.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS

Post by Topo »

Brand new SSD drive installed last week.
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I'd check hard drive health as well.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Check the setting under MIDI Patch Thru: Sync Hardware in Background. I don't have DP open at the moment, and that's one of those "set it and forget it" features, so I have basically forgotten it, other than to remember that it sometimes can cause odd problems. I don't know if this is one of them, but it might help to check.

The other (and more likely) issues that I can think of offhand are among a group of settings found in Chapter 4 of the Getting Started Manual: Configuring Audio Devices. Among them are "Work Quanta, Prime Seconds, Work Priority, and Max Work Percent." (roughly from pages 27 through 32.)

Also, count the number of audio drivers being used. Do you have, say, two audio interfaces that don't operate from the exact same driver? If so, you'll need to use the Host Multiplier in the Hardware Setup dialog. (increment One per audio driver)

If you have Mail.App open in the background, close it. It causes enormous software delays for me. Just pulls down the whole OS. Only in Yosemite. It never did that before Yosemite.

These may be totally unproductive, but give them a try. It can't hurt. If Mail is open, try closing that FIRST.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|

Post by Topo »

Thanks Shoosh....I'll check out your suggestions. It *does* appear that something is drawing focus away from DP. I only use a Presonus 16.4.2 as an interface.....everything was great with DP7 and 10.6.8. I was looking for a manual on motu, but have not found it yet. I'll poke around for the "getting started" doc....don't see it yet. Only got a confirmation of the upgrade from an email, but no link to any documentation. I actually did not expect to need it...just upgrade and be on my way. But........it's possible that I might have had Mail open. I'll have a lot more time starting tomorrow, to dig in. I put a support ticket in to motu 2 days ago, but have not received any response. I may give them a call, if I don't get something today.
Shooshie wrote:Check the setting under MIDI Patch Thru: Sync Hardware in Background. I don't have DP open at the moment, and that's one of those "set it and forget it" features, so I have basically forgotten it, other than to remember that it sometimes can cause odd problems. I don't know if this is one of them, but it might help to check.

The other (and more likely) issues that I can think of offhand are among a group of settings found in Chapter 4 of the Getting Started Manual: Configuring Audio Devices. Among them are "Work Quanta, Prime Seconds, Work Priority, and Max Work Percent." (roughly from pages 27 through 32.)

Also, count the number of audio drivers being used. Do you have, say, two audio interfaces that don't operate from the exact same driver? If so, you'll need to use the Host Multiplier in the Hardware Setup dialog. (increment One per audio driver)

If you have Mail.App open in the background, close it. It causes enormous software delays for me. Just pulls down the whole OS. Only in Yosemite. It never did that before Yosemite.

These may be totally unproductive, but give them a try. It can't hurt. If Mail is open, try closing that FIRST.

Shooshie

Post by Topo »

Made some progress with this, in case anyone is interested. So far, I think the problem had to do with one particular project, and an instance of Omnisphere. Or a combination of several VIs. I am not actually sure about what was causing the hesitation processing, but a new project with the same elements is almost perfect. This could change, but for now things are much better.