Scroll commands don't work

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Scroll commands don't work

Post by philbrown »

I'm in DP 8.07. I usually use my mouse wheel to scroll right and left in the Sequence editor. Today I tried out the scroll commands in the command window and none of them work at all in the SE or the TO. I'm probably overlooking something simple but I don't know what it is. I tried the MIDI Navigation master (even though to my knowledge that shouldn't affect it) but that didn't do anything either. I have zoom commands programmed as well as commands to move the playhead around, I just want to scroll the screen without actually rewinding or FF'ing the playhead.

TIA,
Phil
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
stubbsonic

Re: Scroll commands don't work

Post by stubbsonic »

I use shift+wheel to scroll horizontally, and that is working on 10.9.5/8.07 here.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Thanks Stubbsonic! I have been using my Logitech Performance mouse to scroll horizontally by tilting the wheel left and right which wears out my index finger after a few hours of editing from that sideways repetitive pressure. It's also herky-jerky and slow doing it that way, even setting the driver to its fastest scroll settings. Your way works a lot better, faster and smoother but it will take some muscle-memory practice.

Other ideas still welcome.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

If you want to fly like a breeze in DP, use a Magic Trackpad. They just recently fixed DP so that scrolling works again with the MT, and it's one of the most enjoyable experiences imaginable. Any direction, any speed, just a flick of the wrist, and mostly just the fingers. With a wrist-rest that elevates your hand about an inch, you never get wrist fatigue.

Just my preference. I also have two Logitech mice; an actual mouse and a trackball. Both are nice, but nothing touches the Magic Trackpad. (with JiTouch to help it along)

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Shooshie- I'm definitely not a track pad kind of guy at all.

Are the scroll commands working for anyone here? I find it pretty strange none of them work at all for me. Any ideas anyone? I'm stumped.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

One thing to check is to see if the scrolling commands (depending on how you have it configured) are being superseded by something the Mac OS is doing.

There are a couple panes in the System Preferences that go through special assignments of commands. I'd start by looking at the Keyboard, Mouse, and Trackpad prefs, then look at Accessibility. And if you have any mouse drivers, look at those, too.

I use Steer Mouse, so there are prefs that I use there to set up the commands that Steer mouse sends. This 3rd party mouse driver lets me do something I've always liked with my Intellimouse. I can press-roll the wheel to zoom horizontally in/out. I use the side-buttons to page left & right. I use the right button to opt-click (for naming). I've set those up for DP only.

Anyway, it would be nice if the Mac would let you enter an "input test mode" where you execute a mouse function, and it tells you what the system will do with that input (i.e., what it is assigned to). So you could press F5 and it will tell you what that is already doing (if anything).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

philbrown

Post by philbrown »

stubbsonic wrote:One thing to check is to see if the scrolling commands (depending on how you have it configured) are being superseded by something the Mac OS is doing.

There are a couple panes in the System Preferences that go through special assignments of commands. I'd start by looking at the Keyboard, Mouse, and Trackpad prefs, then look at Accessibility. And if you have any mouse drivers, look at those, too.

I use Steer Mouse, so there are prefs that I use there to set up the commands that Steer mouse sends. This 3rd party mouse driver lets me do something I've always liked with my Intellimouse. I can press-roll the wheel to zoom horizontally in/out. I use the side-buttons to page left & right. I use the right button to opt-click (for naming). I've set those up for DP only.

Anyway, it would be nice if the Mac would let you enter an "input test mode" where you execute a mouse function, and it tells you what the system will do with that input (i.e., what it is assigned to). So you could press F5 and it will tell you what that is already doing (if anything).
Thanks, those are excellent ideas. Maybe the Logitech driver is superseding DP somehow. That doesn't seem logical though, as I'm trying to use DP's stock key bindings and not using the mouse at all at that point. I might look into Steer Mouse just for more options. Logitech's drivers seem a bit wonky sometimes but I like the physical feel of the Performance MX mouse though.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

You can run Steer Mouse on a 30-day demo to see if it'll work for your mouse.

It's worked well for my system. They seem to provide regular updates as Apple releases new wrinkles with each OS.

philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Resurrecting this old thread with a solution. Turns out the conflicting commands were, as Stubbsonic suggested, in System Prefs > Keyboard > Mission Control. I changed scroll left and scroll right in DP with the letters Z and X so I can invoke them just using my left hand, as I don't use Z for the Zoom tool anyway. I also set up 'Scroll left a little' and 'Scroll right a little' to Control Z and Control X. I may swap those commands after I've used them a bit.