Slate FG Bomber - anyone having issues?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Slate FG Bomber - anyone having issues?

Post by David Polich »

This is a question for those (probably) few who own a subscription to the Slate Mix/Mastering bundle and who have downloaded Slate's new plug-in, the FG-Bomber.

I'm seeing reports on Gearslutz that the VMR (Virtual Mix Rack) Installer, which now includes the FG-Bomber, is "hanging" Digital Performer. I am not experienceing any problems with either VMR or
the FG-Bomber, is anyone else?

Any replies appreciated - thanks.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
RROY

Re: Slate FG Bomber - anyone having issues?

Post by RROY »

The demo is working fine here.
Mac Pro 2x2.4 quad core /24 gb ram/OS 10.13.6, Dp 10.13, MTP AV, /UAD 2, KOMPLETE 12, Stylus RMX, SD 3.0, EZ Drummer 3, A&H ZED R 16.
billf

Post by billf »

I purchased the plugin, and it works fine for me.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

No problem here. VMR A-OK.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
audiobox

Post by audiobox »

This should probably be in one of the DP 9 threads...

I know better, but I installed Slate Raven 3.0, Slate VMR with Bomber and DP 9.01 one after another. Uh huh. I knew I was in the stink trench when DP crashed and complained it was its own parabundle EQ that was the problem. Removed that MAS plug, but there were other crashes for no identifiable reason. Much permissions repairing, preferences trashing, removal and re-installing of all concerned.

I could start a new project and insert multiple Slate VMRs. I could open an old project if it was small, like a VO edit session with just a few plugs and a lot of edits, but no big music mixes with mucho plugs. Spinning Pizza of Death forever. Yes, the VO projects had no Slate plugs. Yes, the music projects had many. I removed everything I could find and attempted to revert/re-install earlier iterations of Raven & VMR + DP 8.07. No joy. Something was pranged deep in the gears.

Two days later, I've got a clean install of OS 10.8.5 on a partition with DP 8.07 installed and all plugs except Slate loaded. I opened one of the music projects and DP said, "Dude! Where's the Slate plugs?" I hit OK and bing, there's the project. OK so far. Today, I'll archive this system as is, then I'll try installing the newest VMR. If that works, I'll install Raven 3.0. If that works, I'll erase the old system and migrate the new one to the SSD. After reading about some of the 9.0.1 glitches in various threads here, I think I'll rejoin v.9 a few iterations down the road. It's just not worth it for floating plug windows.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Thanks for all the replies.

I worked all day yesterday on a project with multiple instances of Slate's VMR and FG-Bomber.
No issues at all.

It's a great plug-in, btw.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

After I installed the latest VMR 1.1.0.4, attempting to load previous projects with 30+ tracks that had VMR on them would result in indefinite beach balling. Reinstalling the previous version fixed the issue, but obviously prevents me from using Bomber. (So my issue is with the latest VMR, not specifically Bomber.)

After doing some testing with the latest 1.1.0.4, basically the more tracks added to DP with an instance of VMR (with modules loaded, not just the empty rack) the more DP bogged down to the point of hanging indefinitely.

Basically, can all of you guys confirm that you are able to successfully work with 1.1.0.4 with, let's say, 40 tracks that have VMR loaded with several modules in each? With 1.1.0.4, I can make a single track loaded with VMR, start duplicating the track, and by the time I get to around 16 or so, DP starts bogging down, and then eventually hangs at 32. With 1.0.13.1, I can duplicate tracks that have VMR on them indefinitely, going into the hundreds instantly, with no issues.

Movie:
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
audiobox

Post by audiobox »

cbergm7210 wrote:After I installed the latest VMR 1.1.0.4, attempting to load previous projects with 30+ tracks that had VMR on them would result in indefinite beach balling. Reinstalling the previous version fixed the issue, but obviously prevents me from using Bomber. (So my issue is with the latest VMR, not specifically Bomber.)

After doing some testing with the latest 1.1.0.4, basically the more tracks added to DP with an instance of VMR (with modules loaded, not just the empty rack) the more DP bogged down to the point of hanging indefinitely.

Basically, can all of you guys confirm that you are able to successfully work with 1.1.0.4 with, let's say, 40 tracks that have VMR loaded with several modules in each? With 1.1.0.4, I can make a single track loaded with VMR, start duplicating the track, and by the time I get to around 16 or so, DP starts bogging down, and then eventually hangs at 32. With 1.0.13.1, I can duplicate tracks that have VMR on them indefinitely, going into the hundreds instantly, with no issues.

I have had your experience exactly. I just finished doing a clean install of OS 10.8.5 and DP 8.07 on an empty partition. I installed all plugs except Slate VMR. I opened an old project with many instances of VMR and DP warned VMR was missing, I clicked ok and the project opened and was fine. I installed VMR 1.1.0.4 and the project hung. I installed VMR 1.0.13.1 and the project opened and was fine.

If I open a new project or old project with no VMR, as you say, v 1.1.0.4 will work until more than ten instances are installed, then things bog down in a hurry as more are added.

I'll email both MOTU and Slate support tomorrow with this info.
Last edited by audiobox on Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

audiobox wrote:
cbergm7210 wrote:After I installed the latest VMR 1.1.0.4, attempting to load previous projects with 30+ tracks that had VMR on them would result in indefinite beach balling. Reinstalling the previous version fixed the issue, but obviously prevents me from using Bomber. (So my issue is with the latest VMR, not specifically Bomber.)

I have had your experience exactly. I just finished doing a clean install of OS 10.8.5 and DP 8.07 on an empty partition. I installed all plugs except Slate VMR. I opened an old project with many instances of VMR and DP warned VMR is missing, I clicked ok and the project opened and is fine. I installed VMR 1.1.0.4 and the project hung. I installed VMR 1.0.13.1 and the project opened and was fine.

If I open a new project or old project with no VMR, as you say, v 1.1.0.4 will work until more than ten instances are installed, then things bog down in a hurry.

I'll email Slate and MOTU tomorrow and give support this information.
Fantastic. I've been in touch with Slate support about this, so indeed contact them as well. It is giving Bitwig users problems also so hopefully they will chase this down quickly.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

David Polich

Post by David Polich »

There were some issues with the first version of the new release of VMR which contained FG-Bomber. I believe those have been addressed. You can email Slate tech support for further info.
For information on contacting tech support, go to:
http://www.slatedigital.com
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

David Polich wrote:There were some issues with the first version of the new release of VMR which contained FG-Bomber. I believe those have been addressed. You can email Slate tech support for further info.
For information on contacting tech support, go to:
http://www.slatedigital.com
I've had a dozen email exchanges with Slate support about this issue. There is no resolution thus far.

audiobox

Post by audiobox »

I've had a dozen email exchanges with Slate support about this issue. There is no resolution thus far.
It's probably worth noting, since it isn't in my sig, that cbergm7210 and I both have Mac Pro 2.66 octos with 16 or more GB RAM, OS 10.8.5 and DP 8.07. Seems like a pretty generic setup to me but, in any event, Slate support has all the info and I'm sure they'll chase this bug down.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

[quote="cbergm7210"]After I installed the latest VMR 1.1.0.4, attempting to load previous projects with 30+ tracks that had VMR on them would result in indefinite beach balling. Reinstalling the previous version fixed the issue, but obviously prevents me from using Bomber. (So my issue is with the latest VMR, not specifically Bomber.)

/quote]

I'm having zero issues with VMR or FG-Bomber, but then I'd never put 40 instances of any single
plug-in on a project. A the most, I might have 5 instances of VMR.
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

David Polich wrote:

/quote]

I'm having zero issues with VMR or FG-Bomber, but then I'd never put 40 instances of any single
plug-in on a project. A the most, I might have 5 instances of VMR.
The CS eq's are my go-to eq so at the very least use that on all tracks. If you or one of the other kind fellows would take 60 seconds and trying to put VMR with modules on 30 tracks or more I'd be curious to see if you had similar results.

cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

I made a temporary boot drive, updating my Mac OS from 10.8.5 Mountain Lion to 10.10 Yosemite. The latest version of VMR works fine on this OS, so it looks like there is a problem with OS 10.8.5 Mountain Lion and the latest VMR release.