Groove Killer: Changing Chunks Loses Show/Hide Status

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Groove Killer: Changing Chunks Loses Show/Hide Status

Post by dix »

I've never been much of a Chunk user, for whatever reason, until recently. Has it always been that when you change the Target Window Selection in the SE that you lose the Show/Hide Track Selector status, or is this a DP9 thing? Also, all the folders in the sequence open when you change windows. :(

On complex sequences where I've taken time to make the view just-so that behavior is a huge PIA. Is there any way to avoid this behavior?

Thx!
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
dix

Re: Groove Killer: Changing Chunks Loses Show/Hide Status

Post by dix »

Really? No one else irritated by this bug? ...definitely a bug. clearly not a feature.

I just realized it's not just a SE Window Target bug. Same problem comes up no matter how you change Chunks.

How do you work around this? I'm curious. Is there any way to change Chunks and still retain the Show/Hide and Folder state status in the SE.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

It doesn't happen here. I can switch chunks and everything, including the folders, stay the same way I left them, every time.

The folder status of the track selectors always mess up things upon opening the project, but not when switching chunks. Once I fix them (annoying), they stay put.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
dix

Post by dix »

Weird! We have opposite annoying problems. For me everything is just as I left it when reopening projects. In fact the only workaround I have for my problem is going back to working with single Chunk-only files and doing Save As for each Chunk.

Be great to hear from someone else. I'm curious if anyone doesn't have either problem.
dix

Post by dix »

I checked and I'm getting this same behavior in DP8 and DP7 and on my laptop.

The fact that FMiguelez is NOT getting this makes me think there's a setting, or a pref to trash, or something that could fix this.
dix

Post by dix »

i realize I'm having a conversation with just myself, but in case anyone is interested...

I just realized this a Consolidated Window thing. If I keep the SE in a CW the SE windows update intact when I change Chunks. If the SE is popped out (as I normally work) it doesn't update. You have to change the Window Target via the upper right pulldown menu. That operation obliterates the Hide/Show and Folder status. A popped out Mixer updates with Hide/Show intact when I change Chunks, but not a SE :(

It'd be great if I could get a popped out SE to update automatically when I change Chunks, but I can't see a way to make that happen. ...is there?
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

dix wrote:It'd be great if I could get a popped out SE to update automatically when I change Chunks, but I can't see a way to make that happen. ...is there?
Not that I know of. I'm all for making the Sequence Editor, MIDI Editor, and any other editor update with the change of chunks, per a user-chosen preference. This would very much help the way I work, which is to leave most editor windows full-screen in separate Spaces (Apple's virtual monitors) so that I can leave things exactly the way I last touched them and return without having to reset them. For me, that requires popping the MIDI Editor out and putting it in its own Space.

The Sequence Editor I usually leave in the Consolidated Windows. There is no way that a Sequence Editor will ever be big enough, unless we start using 6-foot-tall monitors, so since I have to scroll anyway, I just leave it in the CW. Sometimes I do pop it out, and then I have to deal with the fact that it does not update when changing chunks.

But yes, I'm all for MOTU adding that as a preference.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
dix

Post by dix »

I'm adopting a new scheme of who to keep popped out and who to keep in the CW. That's a good point about the SE. Unlike other windows you almost always have to scroll the SE. It makes more sense to keep the SE in the CW and pop out the mixer - which does update when changing Chunks regardless of where the Chunks window is. A pref so this behavior would apply to all windows would be great.

...OR if the SE would just maintain it's Show/Hide and Folder states it would make things easier. As it is changing the Target Window via the upper right menu always obliterates the Show/Hide status whether the SE is popped out or not.