Latency on Aux Track Input?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Latency on Aux Track Input?

Post by James Steele »

Can anyone verify this. I haven't used external synths in a while. Probably not since updating to El Capitan. I have the latest MOTU USB MIDI driver for my MTP/AV. Tonight I'm loading some old projects and the MIDI tracks that are playing on external synths are all clearly late. Visually I can see the wiper reach the note right on the beat... I'm listening to the click... and all MIDI going to external synths is playing late. MIDI going to VIs on the other hand are spot on... perfect timing.

Anyone else? I've tried adjusting various settings related to MIDI and it doesn't fix it.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
cuttime

Re: External MIDI lagging in DP 9.01/El Cap?

Post by cuttime »

My SY99 seems spot on in a new project and/or template with a 64 buffer. I tried freehand and with quantize and couldn't tell the difference save for my playing.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cuttime wrote:My SY99 seems spot on in a new project and/or template with a 64 buffer. I tried freehand and with quantize and couldn't tell the difference save for my playing.
Thanks... it turned out the MIDI was right on time. I verified this by listening through the headphone jack of a synth during playback. External modules are receiving MIDI at the right time, but apparently monitoring through a stereo aux track being fed by two inputs on my 24I/O is introducing noticeable latency. Not sure if this is because I have a PCIe based system, etc. but I haven’t noticed this issue before. I’ll continue to mess with it. This also happened in a test I did with Yosemite. Maybe I need to make a Aux and see if it clears it up. Strange.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

It turns out that if I monitor my audio inputs on my 24I/O in DP using a stereo aux track I’m getting latency and hearing the synth behind the beat. On the other hand, if I monitor it through an actual stereo audio track I hear things in time without latency. Is this normal? I haven’t loaded up some of these old projects using hardware synths in a long while, but I don’t remember it being that way.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Latency on Aux Track Input?

Post by James Steele »

I updated the Topic Heading for accuracy.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

James, did you check the setting at:
Preferences / Play and Record / MIDI Solo and Patch Thru / Sync recorded MIDI to Patch Thru [deselect this]

That can cause timing problems if it's selected with external rack gear playing.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
rickorick

Post by rickorick »

I've had the same thing happen. I just use an audio track with the blue input light on and then record the track as audio.
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

James Steele wrote:Can anyone verify this. I haven't used external synths in a while. Probably not since updating to El Capitan. I have the latest MOTU USB MIDI driver for my MTP/AV. Tonight I'm loading some old projects and the MIDI tracks that are playing on external synths are all clearly late. Visually I can see the wiper reach the note right on the beat... I'm listening to the click... and all MIDI going to external synths is playing late. MIDI going to VIs on the other hand are spot on... perfect timing.

Anyone else? I've tried adjusting various settings related to MIDI and it doesn't fix it.
I have always had this problem when sending MIDI to my (external) Proteus/1 or digital piano. I can monitor via CueMix (or the device's headphone jack) and that's great. If I monitor the aux track there is significant latency --- EVEN when I set the hardware buffers to minimum. Of course, if I record that aux to a track, the track will be in perfect time.
[update]
Playing around in HW settings with Host multiplier and work priority can also have an impact on the latency.
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Through the years, I've noticed latency discussions regarding Aux tracks. I've never experienced them myself, but I suspect it's because there are so many different ways to route aux tracks that creating the configuration that causes problems is hit or miss. One thing for certain is that there are MANY threads here containing the words latency AND Aux, suggesting that there is a problem. I don't know what else to say.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Shooshie wrote:James, did you check the setting at:
Preferences / Play and Record / MIDI Solo and Patch Thru / Sync recorded MIDI to Patch Thru [deselect this]

That can cause timing problems if it's selected with external rack gear playing.
Yep. First thing I tried. No difference. I think I'll try the Work Priority setting as suggested and see if that makes a difference. I can (and did) just use an actual audio track and monitor through that and it works fine.

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Would Latency Fixer be of any help? Just thinking out loud. :?
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Phil O wrote:Would Latency Fixer be of any help? Just thinking out loud. :?
No need I think. Latency Fixer just delays everything else, right? Monitoring through an actual Audio Track is easier. I guess for those with a specific reason for bringing in an external audio source using an Aux Track (to use a V Rack perhaps), then bussing all your other tracks through an Aux with Latency Fixer on it to compensate might be the way to do it. (As an aside, did Latency Fixer ever make the jump to 64 bit? You'd probably have to use 32 Lives on it.)

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

For a long time I used a DM5 for drum tracks sending MIDI from DP and returning audio from the DM5 to DP via a 2408. Most of the time, the timing was good. There was a delay I could see by zooming in to the sample level, but nothing noticeable. But now and then, I got a much longer noticeable delay. Simply restarting everything made it go away. I never figured out why it happened, but I do recall other experiencing the same intermittent problem.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
rockitcity

Post by rockitcity »

James Steele wrote:It turns out that if I monitor my audio inputs on my 24I/O in DP using a stereo aux track I’m getting latency and hearing the synth behind the beat. On the other hand, if I monitor it through an actual stereo audio track I hear things in time without latency. Is this normal? I haven’t loaded up some of these old projects using hardware synths in a long while, but I don’t remember it being that way.
I noticed this same issue with live guitar into DP8 to play along with some other tracks. I have an Eleven Rack going analog into my 896 Hybrid, and was just experimenting with bypassing Cue Mix. If I ran the 11R into an aux track I got noticeable delay. If I ran it into an audio track with input monitoring it was straight through with no delay. So, I guess the easy solution is just monitor through an audio track. Plus, you are ready to record when the moment inspires you. Also, with Auto Input monitoring turned on, you are already set up to do punch-ins with existing track playback.
Mac Mini Quad i7 2.6 Ghz, 16 G RAM, 2 SSD's. Motu 896 HD Hybrid, 8pre, Fastlane USB, Presonus Faderport, vintage guitars!
Tim

Post by Tim »

I Think that monitoring through an audio track uses cuemix for low latency, but an Aux track does not.