Latency on Aux Track Input?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
jonathanprice
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Latency on Aux Track Input?

Post by jonathanprice »

Just experienced the same problem. I updated to 9.1 and my projects had noticeable latency. I tracked the problem to an aux track I was using to monitor a satellite VEP. I'm set up so that I send my soft synths to an aux called "VI." I can send this aux to all the audio tracks, but I also send it to another monitoring aux track that routes it to my headphones/monitors. When I placed the VEP track next to the monitoring aux track you could see the levels in the original VI showed very low latency, but the monitoring aux track showed quite a lot. If I switched the output of the VI aux to "headphones" there was almost no latency (direct hardware playthrough). So the latency was coming from the one monitoring aux. This is the same template I've used for years, and never had a problem until I upgraded to 9.1. Additionally, when I opened my quadrophonic template, which is set up the same way but with quad tracks, there was very little latency through the monitoring aux, same as always. Something in my upgrade to 9.1 has made my monitoring aux latent, and only in stereo mode, not quadrophonic.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

I believe that was my mistake posting this though. Aux tracks have always had latency on them. You have to record enable an normal audio track and monitor through that.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
jonathanprice
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by jonathanprice »

That could be true, but it's never been any noticeable latency for me. And, the quadro aux monitor is showing no noticeable latency. And I never experienced any until this week.
cleamon

Re: External MIDI lagging in DP 9.01/El Cap?

Post by cleamon »

James Steele wrote:It turns out that if I monitor my audio inputs on my 24I/O in DP using a stereo aux track I’m getting latency and hearing the synth behind the beat. On the other hand, if I monitor it through an actual stereo audio track I hear things in time without latency. Is this normal? I haven’t loaded up some of these old projects using hardware synths in a long while, but I don’t remember it being that way.
This is the behavior I have experienced (forever? at least since DP 7.x). I used to set the buffer setting real low (less than 128) which helped. Then I started rendering the external tracks to audio - even with large buffers this worked fine but meant that if I altered the MIDI, I had to render again. Then I discovered that if I use a stereo audio track with input enabled, the latency went away. That's my MO now.
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
b.g.

Post by b.g. »

I too run a PCIe system, see sig. I monitor outboard hardware synths via mono and stereo Aux tracks. For me latency is imperceptible.
MacBook Pro retina 2015, i7, 16GB, DP 10, M4
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

James, I feel your pain. I have a lot of hardware synths and record them all the time. Are you using a hardware mixer?

One reason I have never given up my hardware mixer is that I can monitor everything connected to it
in real-time. That said, yes I am familiar with the delay which is caused by slow response of the tone
generator part of a synth. Some are lightning fast (Dave Smith instruments), some are slower (Alesis),
and some are SO slow in responding that I gave up recording them (old Roland synths).
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I use direct hardware play through and I think the latency issue is just when you monitor through an Aux Track. If I create a normal audio track and monitor through that I have no latency.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

James Steele wrote:I use direct hardware play through and I think the latency issue is just when you monitor through an Aux Track. If I create a normal audio track and monitor through that I have no latency.
I don't know if this is related or not, but I read somewhere that aux track inserts in 9.1 are always run in real time.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.