Timing issues with DP MIDI & EastWest QLP

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Renaissance Man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Timing issues with DP MIDI & EastWest QLP

Post by Renaissance Man »

When using EastWest Quantum Leap Pianos as a VI in Digital Performer, I've recently noticed some odd timing issues. Specifically, on a given piano chord with all notes at exactly the same starting point ( whether the MIDI notes have been quantized or moved manually ) the notes will still not sound at exactly the same moment.
If however I route the MIDI to an external sound module, for instance my Kurzweil K2600 keyboard, the notes in the chord DO sound at the exact same time.
I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this or has any ideas.
Thanks
Mac Pro Early 2008 8-core 2.8, 16GB RAM, SSD, El Capitan, DP9.5.4; Waves Mercury V9.6 + SSL 4000 Collection, SyncroArts VocAlign Project 3, EastWest Quantum Leap Pianos & Voices of Soul, Nomad Factory Integral Studio Pack, BBE D82 Sonic Maximizer, Slate Digital VCC RC Tube and Trigger, MOTU PCIe 424, 3-2408Mk3's, 24io, MTP AV USB, Apogee A/D & Big Ben, CraneSong HEDD 192, ATC monitors, racks full of outboard, 90 microphones, MIDI/keyboard rig, house drums & tuned percussion etc...
Shooshie

Re: Timing issues with DP MIDI & EastWest QLP

Post by Shooshie »

I wonder if that could be a latency issue in the particular VI you're using.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Renaissance Man

This is odd. I can loop a chord (one that stands out as being particularly bad or easy to spot) and part of the time all the notes sound simultaneously, part of the time they don't.
I'm watching the meters in QLP - I'm using 2% of the CPU, a high of 40 MB/s of the DISK, a high of 21 VOICES, and it's assigned 287 MB of RAM. QLP isn't even breathing hard...
Mac Pro Early 2008 8-core 2.8, 16GB RAM, SSD, El Capitan, DP9.5.4; Waves Mercury V9.6 + SSL 4000 Collection, SyncroArts VocAlign Project 3, EastWest Quantum Leap Pianos & Voices of Soul, Nomad Factory Integral Studio Pack, BBE D82 Sonic Maximizer, Slate Digital VCC RC Tube and Trigger, MOTU PCIe 424, 3-2408Mk3's, 24io, MTP AV USB, Apogee A/D & Big Ben, CraneSong HEDD 192, ATC monitors, racks full of outboard, 90 microphones, MIDI/keyboard rig, house drums & tuned percussion etc...
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

The dreaded "humanization" parameter?

I dislike such labels. I'm human enough; don't need a programmer making me less me and more him.
Renaissance Man

What Shooshie said about latency got me exploring my settings. Eventually ended up in Set Up > Configure Audio System > Configure Hardware Driver and found my Host Buffer Multiplier was set on 2. Set it down to 1 and it stopped QLP's errant behavior.
Always has to be something stupid simple...
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Renaissance Man wrote:What Shooshie said about latency got me exploring my settings. Eventually ended up in Set Up > Configure Audio System > Configure Hardware Driver and found my Host Buffer Multiplier was set on 2. Set it down to 1 and it stopped QLP's errant behavior.
Always has to be something stupid simple...
Ah yes, I've encountered that in the past. I wish I could remember to suggest it when I hear of this problem. Glad you found it, and thanks for returning and posting your answer.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|