Analysis file folder over 103 GB!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
TnMike
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Analysis file folder over 103 GB!

Post by TnMike »

I had a problem yesterday with a project in DP7.24 on an Intel Mac Pro (2010). I did a lot of copying tracks and pasting them around in a song and after a few hours it said it could not save on my external disk anymore because it ran out of disk space. I then saved it to my main drive. Next time I opened it it said it had no more space on my main drive, and then froze the system. After hard restart, I checked the size of the project and it was 103 GB! I then checked the size of my analysis file folder and it was 102.339 GB. So I threw away the analysis file folder so it could rebuild when opening the project again. In 5 or 6 seconds after reopening the project it had replaced all the analysis files with the exact same ones and was back up to 102 GB like before...and than froze again.
Anyone ever had this problem? If I could get the project just to open without crashing I could bounce down the audio and open it up in a new project. I'm a bit confused.
Help?
Thanks, Mike
Mac Pro Intel 2010, 16 gigs RAM, Apollo Quad, 2408 mkIII, Raven Mti2, UAD-2, MTPAV, Superior Drummer 3.0 drums, Ivory piano, B4 organ, PodProxt, Kemper, Ozone 9, Apogee Mini-Me, Roland R-8
Shooshie

Re: Analysis file folder over 103 GB!

Post by Shooshie »

DP wrote 103GB in 5 seconds? I'm wondering if those are being accurately reported.

I'm using OS X 10.10.5, and I'm beginning to think there is a file system bug. Almost every day I have a Finder crash when trying to transfer or write files, sometimes even just renaming them. That has NEVER happened before in OS X. Well, maybe slightly about two OS's ago. Disk Utility is still telling me that all my disks are fine. I've had to force-quit the finder about 5 times now, and usually a hard-restart follows shortly afterward, when the Finder refuses to boot up again.

Anyway, that may be completely unrelated to your problem, but I'm wondering if there IS a connection, because of those 103GB of files written in 5 seconds. Maybe that's not a big deal, or maybe you're using SSDs (I'm not).

Also, I decided to check the analysis files in one of my larger projects that's been collecting them for a long time (it's an ongoing project). 858 files for a total of 970.3 Mb. It DOES seem like your project may have a problem there. Whether it's DP or Finder or something else remains to be seen, but I'm pretty sure you're on to the location of the problem. Maybe a call to MOTU would help pinpoint the actual source.

What do you think?

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
TnMike

Post by TnMike »

Hi Shooshie...thank you for responding.
I did call MOTU today and they recommended I download the demo version of DP9 and open the project with that (after trashing the analysis file folder again) and seeing if that would make a difference. I haven't done that yet because I downloaded DP8 a while back to test drive it and it screwed up my remote functions on my iPhone and I had to downgrade back to DP 7.24. Maybe DP9 will make a difference. I will do that and post my results. Again, thanks for responding!
Mike
Mac Pro Intel 2010, 16 gigs RAM, Apollo Quad, 2408 mkIII, Raven Mti2, UAD-2, MTPAV, Superior Drummer 3.0 drums, Ivory piano, B4 organ, PodProxt, Kemper, Ozone 9, Apogee Mini-Me, Roland R-8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Not the same kind of thing here, but I'm also on 10.10.5 with DP 9.01 and I am seeing tracks just disappear from time to time. I'm on a trash can so I am using an SSD, but the tracks are on an external TB to FW adaptor. See here: http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=60684
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

MLC and TnMike... did you ever figure out if there is indeed a file system problem with 10.10.5?
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

TnMike, have you tried duplicating your project via Save a Copy As with the duplicate audio files box checked?

This may clear whatever problem you're currently having with your session. It won't give you the answer as to WHY this happened, but it may fix it...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
TnMike

Post by TnMike »

FM,
I duplicated it and moved it to another drive and trashed the original. Seems to be working now. I've upgraded to DP 9 a few weeks ago too so it might have been something weird in transitioning.
Thanks for the follow up info.
Mike :D
MIDI Life Crisis

TnMike wrote:... upgraded to DP 9 a few weeks ago too so it might have been something weird in transitioning.

It goes without saying that ANYTIME you add or update a program you want to be sure to repair permissions. DP has been particularly response to that of late.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote: It goes without saying that ANYTIME you add or update a program you want to be sure to repair permissions. DP has been particularly response to that of late.
How is that supposed to work with El Cap?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
MIDI Life Crisis

cuttime wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote: It goes without saying that ANYTIME you add or update a program you want to be sure to repair permissions. DP has been particularly response to that of late.
How is that supposed to work with El Cap?

It doesn't. I didn't notice his OS.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

TnMike wrote:So I threw away the analysis file folder so it could rebuild when opening the project again. In 5 or 6 seconds after reopening the project it had replaced all the analysis files with the exact same ones and was back up to 102 GB like before.
Did you empty the trash? Maybe DP just rewrote the directory entries for the analysis folder to put it back where it was.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8