Why is DP8 suddenly saying I have a demo version!!??

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
ovaltine52
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Why is DP8 suddenly saying I have a demo version!!??

Post by ovaltine52 »

Talk about a surprise: Granted I hadn't used DP8 in awhile, start it up to ready it for a session, I get an activation box. Good nite. I've paid for my upgrades since DP5, now this.

Unless MOTU gets on it & gets back to me with a fix, this is probably going to be the end for me & MOTU, & I'm going to have to look for another DAW.

Incredible lousy timing.

Insight appreciated.
cuttime

Re: Why is DP8 suddenly saying I have a demo version!!??

Post by cuttime »

Authorization problems can crop up with any software. I hope this helps:

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... issionsFix
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

ovaltine52 wrote:Talk about a surprise: Granted I hadn't used DP8 in awhile, start it up to ready it for a session, I get an activation box. Good nite. I've paid for my upgrades since DP5, now this.

Unless MOTU gets on it & gets back to me with a fix, this is probably going to be the end for me & MOTU, & I'm going to have to look for another DAW.

Incredible lousy timing.

Insight appreciated.
Oh good grief. Just activate it. That other link does not apply to DP 8 as it uses a different authorization scheme than 7 and earlier.

If you installed DP 8 on another drive, swapped drive positions in a Mac Pro, restored from backup, changed ISPs, did a major OS upgrade, installed it on another computer or two or half dozen other things, DP will pop up an authorization box. It uses internet authorization.

You must type in your name, email address and activation code exactly as you have it registered with MOTU. You must also have an active internet connection. If you enter it right, you hit enter and you're done till the next time.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
ovaltine52

Post by ovaltine52 »

Well sure, I could reactivate it only that "buy now" button is a bit of a turnoff.

Thanks for the info on permissions.

I did have a hard drive that went down, & I stored most of my DP files on it, but I've never moved DP. Been in one place for a long time, done a ton of work with it recently. Why now?

Thankew for the replies.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Why now?
Because you did something to your system that caused DP to need reauthorization. I listed some of the possible reasons. It's not a big deal.

The link to permissions has nothing to do with DP 8. DP 2-7 used Auth files. DP 8 and 9 use internet authorization.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
ovaltine52

Post by ovaltine52 »

Sorry Sgt. Carter, no "shazam" yet.

So, I fire up DP, up comes the activation box, type in my email, "activate" button comes on, click it, "contacting MOTU"... then it brings me back to the activation box, same cycle, & even if I click "cancel" I can't get out of the activation box, had to force quit. I clicked "buy now", & it takes me to DP9. I DON'T WANT DP9. I want to do my session on DP8 & move on.

Thing is, even if I've "done something", I would've gotten the act. box MUCH earlier than now. I've called up DP8 long after the "done somethings" with no issues whatsoever.

Sorry, Mike. As far as I'm concerned the issue's on their end. Waiting for them to tell me I'm a bang bang. I'll post their response.

Thankew all.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Best to call them. Did you register with a different email address? Spell your name differently?

The one that used to get me: Did you use the minus key from the number pad instead of a dash? I don't remember if that's an issue in 8 but it will cause 7 or earlier to fail authorization. Use the dash key.

I keep my DP 8 activation code in a text file with the correct spelling of my name and email address on file with MOTU. Now when I reactivate, I copy and paste — no more problems.

Tell us what fixes it.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I hope you find the answer. It seems crazy for someone to have to switch DAWs because they can't get it authorized. Surely MOTU can help you with that. Give them a call. Not a ticket. A call. You should talk to them about this. They're open till 6:00 eastern time, give or take. 617-576-3066

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
ovaltine52

Post by ovaltine52 »

From Robin:

Users/Shared/Library/Application Support/MOTU

Delete the MOTU folder, restart, launch DP8, activation box comes up, enter key code. I'm back in business. I lost the gig, but everything's up to speed for next time.

Nutshell, it puts in a fresh/new activation file that doesn't mistake my version for a demo. Granted something happened though DP8's come alive many times in the past during system changes. But no, I wouldn't have had a clue where to look/what to do.

I apologize for the drama. But being hung up in those activation boxes with no escape in sight was for me, scary.

Hi, Shooshie. Good to hear from you. Well no, I don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water, but I also don't want clients running up the street to the guy that has Cubase/ProTools/Logic Pro/etc. loaded/ready to fire either. It's rather fiercely competitive here in the Nashville area. But the ticket worked out okay. Robin got back to me fast, good to go.

I've acquired a loaded to the gills Mac Mini I-4 & will probably move onto DP9 once I've got it in place.

Hopefully, concerning the activation moment, there won't be a next time. :roll:

Again, thankew all.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Glad you got it working, and thanks for sharing the solution.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »