Trim, Roll, Slip, Slide stops working [RESOLVED-stupid user]

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Trim, Roll, Slip, Slide stops working [RESOLVED-stupid user]

Post by Shooshie »

Preliminary report:

This has just happened, and I have not been through a thorough testing, but I wanted to see if others have already been through this and found the cure or reported it.

Trim, Roll, Slip and Slide worked on the first try, but after that they all defaulted to a regular cursor, even though the cursor itself did not change back. In other words, I used the Roll tool to drag the boundary between two soundbites, but after that first action it will only drag a selection, like the I-Beam tool.

I tried many things, but nothing brought it back.

Anyone seen this?

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Re: Trim, Roll, Slip, Slide stops working

Post by Shooshie »

One other thing: I cannot grab Fade handles in the soundbite track. I can only change fades with the Fade dialog. Kind of slow.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I'll check in a bit, but I've used the slip & slide stuff recently w/o incident.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I can't duplicate these, either. You're not the first one to report fade weirdness, though.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

An hour after that happened, while messing with files in the Finder, my Mac went into full lockup. I quit DP during that lockup in hopes of saving a file which probably was already saved, but no app would quit if it had a file to save, because the Finder had locked the OS X File System.

It could be that my problems with the tool were related to that pending lockup. Who knows? I'm not going to test it tonight, but will pick it up tomorrow where I left off. So far, it doesn't appear that I lost any data.

By the way, I've been noticing Finder problems in OS X 10.10.5 if I put my Mac to sleep with anything open besides Finder and QuicKeys. In other words, if I leave Safari open while the Mac is sleeping, once it's awake again I'll get a Finder freeze within the first half-hour of working. This happened before in some previous OS, possibly Lion or Leopard. It was fixed in the next version, either Mountain Lion or Snow Leopard. Now it's back in Yosemite, and I'm wondering if El Capitan fixes it.

I don't know if there's any correlation between that and my DP Roll Tool, but it seems like these bugs move in packs. When a new version of OS X comes along, either I see bugs everywhere, or I see pristine operations everywhere.

Shooshie
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I just remembered this thread, and that I need to resolve it. After some experimentation, I realized that I had inadvertently set the edit windows for "Range Selections Only." I had been showing someone the difference between the two, and accidentally left it on Range Selections. I never do that. When I use Range Selections Only, I always reset it to All Selections" before quitting. This time I was distracted and left it there. When you've got that set, the trim tools will not work on soundbites, because they will only select ranges like any other tool.

As for any other weirdness I reported, I think that's mostly OS X Yosemite Sam blowing holes in his toes after getting all steamed up. Yosemite is a loose cannon, so to speak. I'll be glad when I get a few moments to upgrade to El Capitan. (that'sa JOKE, son. Everyone knows it takes more than a few moments to upgrade to a new OS)

Anyway, while not all things are completely well, they are working as expected, and this thread's subject was completely due to user error. Stupid user! Always blaming DP when it's just not DP's fault. Like the Jinni in the bottle, DP can only do the user's bidding. Unlike the Jinni in the bottle, DP grants more than 3 wishes. However, I'm much more likely to dream of Jeannie in the bottle.

I'm marking this thread "resolved."

Shooshie