Corrupt multitrack

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Klaus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Corrupt multitrack

Post by Klaus »

Here is the zipper noise that shows here and there on a 16 ch recording on all channels that had input connected at the XLR. ( 13 )
3 channels with no input connected but recorded are clean.
http://www.redmountain.ch/7%20BASSDI%20copy-mg-03.wav
This was DP 7.24, Motu driver 16 64820, OS X 10.6.8,
recording via firewire / coreaudio from a X32Core, and showed up only on the second day recording.
The X32Core has a USB ( 2-track ) recording option and this ( USB stick ) is clean...
Problem from Coreaudio or DP sync ?
I want to keep DP for recording, but am tempted to try Reaper...
Thanks for opinions

Best

Klaus
Shooshie

Re: Corrupt multitrack

Post by Shooshie »

By all means try Reaper if you so desire. Nobody would tell you not to.

However, it should be obvious that nearly all DP users record without such noise events, and that whatever is going on is probably due to something on your end. It could be configuration, buffer settings, cables (mic or USB), line clipping, bounce settings... and the list goes on. It could be hardware failure in your computer. Or it could be a corrupted file.

DP isn't likely to be the cause of the unwanted sound, or if it is, it needs reinstalling or something. Maybe someone here has some ideas about it. I'd start troubleshooting. Listen to the soundbites and see if it's in some of them. Check your input settings. If you watch the big meters page in the input section, you'll see whether you're clipping on input. Or it could be plugins that are piling up audio for output. Unfortunately, troubleshooting is part of the game of digital audio, no matter which DAW you use.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

The term "USB stick" raised a few flags with me (real-world read / write speeds), but then why would the "unconnected" channels come out clean?

Could it be 'cause they're only requiring 3 series of "0s" to be written and are therefore much less taxing?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

monkey man wrote:The term "USB stick" raised a few flags with me (real-world read / write speeds), but then why would the "unconnected" channels come out clean?

Could it be 'cause they're only requiring 3 series of "0s" to be written and are therefore much less taxing?
Maybe I was not clear....
The 16ch multitrack was recorded via Firewire, X32Core FW > FW hub > Mac FW / SSD FW,
and the 3 unconnected XLR inputs have no artifacts.
The USB stick is inserted into the X32Core directly, and records the master L/R 44/16b, and has no artifacts...
Clearly something going on in the FW stream, be it Coreaudio or DP...
DP buffer set to 1024.
I thought firewire was the least taxing protocol, external...
This happened the 2nd day, 1st day is ok...

Thanks for hints :)

Klaus
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Are there any plugins? If you create a new, clean mix (no plugins, no adjustments), does it still happen?

Does it happen in the exact same spot(s) during each playback? Does it ever vary?

Also, Firewire or not, hot mic levels can easily clip your interfaces, especially when summed for playback. Granted, it was just a bass part. Probably one mic for that, no?

And yet... DP does not normally add noise to a recording. Period. If it's adding noise, you need to reinstall it or something; that's just not normal. I've used it forever, and it is clean as a whistle.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Shooshie wrote:Are there any plugins? If you create a new, clean mix (no plugins, no adjustments), does it still happen?

Does it happen in the exact same spot(s) during each playback? Does it ever vary?

Also, Firewire or not, hot mic levels can easily clip your interfaces, especially when summed for playback. Granted, it was just a bass part. Probably one mic for that, no?

And yet... DP does not normally add noise to a recording. Period. If it's adding noise, you need to reinstall it or something; that's just not normal. I've used it forever, and it is clean as a whistle.

Shooshie
day 1 ok, day 2 artifacts at the exact same spots thru the recorded channels that have a source connected...not clipped audio...
You really think it needs a reinstall ?

Klaus
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Klaus wrote:
Shooshie wrote:Are there any plugins? If you create a new, clean mix (no plugins, no adjustments), does it still happen?

Shooshie
day 1 ok, day 2 artifacts at the exact same spots thru the recorded channels that have a source connected...not clipped audio...
You really think it needs a reinstall ?

Klaus
Reinstalling DP isn't terribly difficult, so that's not a bad first step. Somehow you've got to isolate some components and test the signal path from one end to the other until you find the cause. Some ideas, in no particular order:

• Load the sequence into a new file using the LOAD menu (File / Load)
• Find DP's preferences and move them to the desktop temporarily (forces rebuilding of prefs) You can put them back after testing, overwriting the new prefs created by the app.
• Open up the Meter Bridge and look at all meters. See if you can identify the problem in a meter as it passes. Once found, set it on a memory cycle of a few seconds to repeat the section over and over while you look at inputs, outputs, tracks, busses, and any other meters that may be monitoring the signal. This may help you figure out where it's coming from.
• Start a "New Mix" after duplicating your current mix. It will have no plugins, perfect for testing whether plugins play a role.
• Change out cables if they are in the chain.
• Reinstall DP, a last resort that helps to cover all the bases.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

The files have artifacts...I'm trying to prevent recordings with artifacts...
For now, I upgraded to the newest drivers / audio install and MIDI install,
and set higher buffers of programs involved, DP 7.24, iTunes, and LineIn.

Klaus
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

Sorry to hear of your woes.

First off, you are using an older version of DP and an older OS on your Mac.
Both are about two or three versions back in time.
I can't find the specs on the Mac you are using... Did you post that info?

You mentioned a Firewire hub.
That worries me.

With your older software and a Firewire hub, I'd be very careful.
You mentioned that you were tempted to try R...
I'd say you should give it a go.... Free is a nice price.

I'd then have to mention the B... word.
In my experience, Behringer digital stuff has been inconsistent and sometimes really bad.
I wouldn't use it for "mission critical" applications.
Maybe they've gotten better, but I've had a few experiences that have soured me on their products.
They are on my "no buy" list.

That being said, maybe the x32 is not the problem.

I'm sure you will figure it out.
DP is very robust and reliable these days and I think it could work for you.
All is well
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Thanks waterstrum
as I said,
same rig on day 1 ok, on day 2 artifacts.
All I remember was different, is the order of starting up
- DP
- iTunes
- LineIn

OS 10.6.8, Mac Mini 1,1 > 2,1 upgraded C2D CPU

I did some testing today, and referring on this 'launch' order, LineIn was producing
buffer artifacts - only when DP was running.
Quitting DP returned LineIn into a stable state.
Also, I tried Boom Recorder from VOSGAMES, and it didn't bring LineIn into an unstable state.
My guess :
DP is fighting with iTunes / LineIn, be it buffers, fw stream, ....
All buffers are set to max.
I'll record next time without iTunes and LineIn launched...

BTW
B........ 's new stuff is powered by the brands they bought...
i.e. X32 > MIDAS
I don't like the 'old B........ stuff too, except the DCX2496 with replaced ribbon cables
and the HA8000 8)

Best

Klaus
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Q: Should I select in DP's hardware setup both, the X32Core and the Mac i/o, to make sure, that clocks are common between apps and interfaces ?

Should I create an aggregate device too for other apps that use both, the X32Core and the Mac,
i.e. iTunes, LineIn https://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/do ... LineIn.zip

Thanks
:mrgreen:

Klaus
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I have a couple of pieces of Begringer gear. They sound and work ok as long as my cell phone is at least 10' away.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

I actually recorded with an X32 the other day with DP9.. no problems whatsoever.. It was all plug and play!
Get Real Live Drum Tracks @ http://www.hugoribeiro.com

Macbook Pro | DP 10.13 | Motu 8Pre (x2) | Apogee Duet 2
Sonor Drums | Sabian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Vater Drumsticks