Time-Range-Only preference not working in MIDI Editor

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Time-Range-Only preference not working in MIDI Editor

Post by Shooshie »

In DP9.01, I'm unable to make time-range-only selections via the preference for that option.

Go to Preferences/Tools/Top Menu, for choosing the type of selections defaulting to the regular cursor/pointer. Normally, choosing Time-Range-Only makes using the cursor somewhat selecting the I-Beam tool.

It works in the Sequence Editor. You can see the difference between Time Range and Event & Phrase Selection by trying them in that window. But the MIDI Editor does not respond to Time-Range-Only selections at this time.

At least, it doesn't on my setup. Check and see if you can do Time Range Only selections in the MIDI Graphic Editor Window.

Shooshie

PS: Yes, the I-Beam tool still works. But Time Range Only should be like having the I-Beam tool working all the time.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
cuttime

Re: Time-Range-Only preference not working in MIDI Editor

Post by cuttime »

Same here on El Cap.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Same here OS X.10.5
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Maybe this is by design. I thought I remembered using Time Range in the MIDI Editor, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it never did. But... why wouldn't it? We have the I-Beam tool, which basically is a Time Range Tool. That's consistent with the Sequence Editor, but why not have time ranges in the MIDI Editor? Again, I could swear I remember using Time Ranges Only in the MIDI Editor, as well as Event Selections Only. After 30 years with a piece of software, all those memories start running together, and you wonder if it's real or you imagined it.

I cannot find anywhere in the manual that says "Time Range Selections do not work in the MIDI Editor."

Whatever the case, it doesn't work now.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Another problem: I-Beam selections in the MIDI Editor only operate on the currently active track. You may have 10 tracks showing in the MIDI Editor, but it will only select the frontmost track, that is, the one with the little pencil beside it.

Here's where we need options like those in the Sequence Editor. I suggest something like:
• DRAG of the I-Beam Tool selects Notes and Controllers from the currently active track
• CONTROL-DRAG of the I-Beam Tool selects notes from all tracks
• CONTROL-OPTION-DRAG selects notes AND controllers in all tracks.

Similarly, those keyboard options would apply to the regular Pointer cursor tool in any mode, but not the regular DRAG. It would still behave as it always has.

Again, these are not currently optional in DP. They are my suggestions for how I'd like to see it work. I'd also like to see keyboard options that would snap a selection to the Beat Resolution Grid, as in Quantizing a selection as if it were a single event. (First event lands on beat 1 | 000, for example).

Shooshie
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

+ a whole lot, Shoosh.

Wuddun, mate.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here