MIDI Graphic Editor Drag Bug

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI Graphic Editor Drag Bug

Post by stubbsonic »

Though I mentioned this on the Old Bugs thread, I decided to make this a separate thread- to see if anyone else is seeing this.

In the MIDI Graphic Editor, when I drag selected notes with grid snap on, if I change my mind and want to put the notes back where they were, DP skips over the original location. It is possible that it skips other locations, but in my recent tests, I just noticed it skipping over the original location.

Here's a short video:

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com/misc/EditBug.mov

Bonus points if you can (on sight) recognize the tune.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Shooshie

Re: MIDI Graphic Editor Drag Bug

Post by Shooshie »

Empire Strikes Back theme from Star Wars.

And that's without even turning on a keyboard. :koolaid:
I can't quite read MIDI piano rolls "live in concert" like music notation yet, but I'm pretty close.
Many years ago I made the observation that MIDI "piano rolls" require no key signature, because there are no accidentals. Every note is represented on the graph, as opposed to notation where only one scale at a time is represented, and any other note is achieved by altering the notes present. (Sharps and flats) Therefore, reading MIDI is a different skill set which doesn't favor any key over any other, and tonality must be deduced by the listener. I'm actually not sure in this case, because your base chord is Db major, where I think it should be C# minor. Maybe this is an episode somewhere in the song which I don't remember.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Shooshie wrote: I'm actually not sure in this case, because your base chord is Db major, where I think it should be C# minor. Maybe this is an episode somewhere in the song which I don't remember.
Ah, I just pulled out the keyboard and added the bass. It jumps to the VI chord on the Db, and back again on the F which makes it all come out right in F minor. It's been 25 years since I arranged that piece for anything, and I'd forgotten how it went. Now I remember. You've got it right.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

As for the bug... I noticed that once, when you were moving it slowly, it DID pause on the original location. Maybe it's just slow, which may be a bug also, but not the one we might have thought.

I need to turn on DP and start trying out some of the things I'm reading about.

Shoosh
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Doesn't seem to matter how slow. But you are right, it doesn't do it EVERY time, it just can do it often (as in the example).

And if that was a deliberate feature (i.e., "You can move it everywhere but where it originally was.") that is a very stupid feature. If it is a bug, it is only unforgivable because it has existed for at least five versions.

BTW, it might be called "The Imperial March" or "Darth Vader's Theme" but we are still going to give you the full 15 points, because you clearly knew what tune it was.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

stubbsonic wrote:BTW, it might be called "The Imperial March" or "Darth Vader's Theme" but we are still going to give you the full 15 points, because you clearly knew what tune it was.
Yippee! Is that enough yet for a trip to Tahiti?
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Shooshie wrote: Yippee! Is that enough yet for a trip to Tahiti?
No, but you can play along with our home game!
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

cuttime wrote:
Shooshie wrote: Yippee! Is that enough yet for a trip to Tahiti?
No, but you can play along with our home game!
I think I've already been doing that.

Sheesh...
Shoosh
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I've tested this glitch with my trackpad, so it is not mouse or mouse driver related.

I'm a little surprised it hasn't been reported by others, since it has been this way across at least six different machines and as many major OS versions in my studio.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I'm embarrassed that as much as I've vaguely griped over the years, I did NOT see any TechLinks about it in my list. I can't venture a guess, but I was probably quite busy with other stuff and just put it in the longer list of things to bitch about but do nothing about.

I've lived with it for so long, I just got used to it, and clearly it hasn't been noticed by other users.

Anyway, I've finally contacted MOTU about it. Will keep you posted.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Just a quick request; would a few of you mind just checking out the video and testing to see if you see similar on your systems? It might take a few slow back & forth drags over the original location in order to see it.

That would be very helpful to know.

Thanks.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I haven't had DP up all day, but I'll check it out when I can.

However, I can say from memory that for quite some time DP has not had the GUI responsiveness that it used to many years ago. Sometimes when grabbing a selection, drawing a control points curve, or just moving a selection as in your video, it takes me a couple times to get it right. Didn't used to. In the 1990s and early 2000s, everything was right the first time and every time. It was like having extensions of my mind. Now, not so much. I think there is something generally different in the interface programming. I'll mess around with it soon with this post in mind and see if maybe it is really skipping its original source point, which would have the effect of making it feel sluggish.

Shoosh
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Shooshie wrote: However, I can say from memory that for quite some time DP has not had the GUI responsiveness that it used to many years ago. ... it takes me a couple times to get it right. Didn't used to. In the 1990s and early 2000s, everything was right the first time and every time. It was like having extensions of my mind. Now, not so much. I think there is something generally different in the interface programming. I'll mess around with it soon with this post in mind and see if maybe it is really skipping its original source point, which would have the effect of making it feel sluggish.

Shoosh
I really appreciate your saying this. This describes my experience exactly. Especially, "extensions of my mind". I used to be able to work so much more quickly and felt like that MIDI Graphic editor was my kingdom. I really felt a brutal loss of speed and immediacy with one of those major version updates way back when.

Let me know what you find.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

MOTU's tech support said that while he couldn't reproduce it on his machine, that they tested it on other machines and were able to reproduce the bug. He said they would add it to their bug list and try to address it in a future update.

I would still be curious to know if any of you see this bug. It would only take a moment of your time to fire up DP, select some MIDI notes and slowly drag them forward & backward over their original location to see if it ever skips that location. I'd really really appreciate it.

cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I can't duplicate this on my iMac. I tried at several different grid resolutions. I wonder if it has something to do with mouse drivers and/or speeds. I'm using the Magic Mouse with BetterTouchTool.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31